Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • Ready Brek Deer
    Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-04-15 17:37:06
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I see Alison has tweeted that she has bees. She must have a walled garden, something I'd like. I love bees too, it always upsets me when I find one dead, and the fact their numbers are decreasing.... I hope she protects them ( sure they will) and if she goes into Deep Honey production, can I put my order in first?
    Love a chopped banana, honey ( or jam), peanut butter and Marmite sandwich!!
  • KatRobin said:

. I love bees too, it always upsets me when I find one dead, and the fact their numbers are decreasing....

Kat. We have several bee keepers around where we live ( Appy is also mates with some major league bee big wigs) and I was told last weekend that the bees have had a good winter and activity is looking promising for this year following the milder winter. Don't give up on the bees yet, they have been in earth a lot longer than homosapiens!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • UT that's great news. Perhaps not so great about the impending Asian Hornet invasion! :-S
  • Just curious.... has anyone else noticed there seems to be an abundance of dragonflies this year? Is it just in my part of the world or across the country? Haven't met an Asian Hornet yet (never mind), but Ive read about the 10cm Super Slugs sliming our way (AOL hype again). Sorry, but if you live with cabbages as far as the eye can see, then you get used to superslugs!  I-)
  • @Kat They actually release dragonflies here as natural mosquito control. Apparently they eat them.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-09-09 00:39:28
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • How does eating dragonflies control mosquitoes? By showing them what could happen if they stepped out of line?
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-09-09 01:30:06
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Really PG? That's interesting. I love dragonflies. But does it work?
  • It works ;)

I've been watching this ingenious spider on the patio recently. It has spun its web around the housing of an outdoor light. At night when the light is on, all the flying insects are attracted to it. Basically the spider has a smorgasbord every night. Ahh, nature's balance.

I also have a couple of bobcats that cut through the yard every evening. Often I will hear odd cries in the thicket- I'm never really sure if it is their calls or some unfortunate prey they happened upon.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • We had a nice Autumnal walk last weekend, it was pretty nippy and we wrapped up for it. After walking across a field in the middle of nowhere for an hour, we laid down on the edge of a small woodland to look up at the sky. In the space of that five mins we observed a dead raven nearby ( ew...not so good, we moved!), a nest in the trees, a dragonfly circling around us, a family of swans flying overhead, and a squirrel. Which just goes to show that if you rest and do the Zen thing, it is there. I suspect there would've been deer in the woods too ( and we did come across a fabulous old railway line bank, overgrown and covered in leaves) which was riddled with burrows of different sizes- prob rabbits and badgers. We had the dogs with us so didn't see any large mammals, but it was a great moment on a lovely walk.
  • KatRobin said:

We had a nice Autumnal walk last weekend, it was pretty nippy and we wrapped up for it. After walking across a field in the middle of nowhere for an hour, we laid down on the edge of a small woodland to look up at the sky. In the space of that five mins we observed a dead raven nearby ( ew...not so good, we moved!).

Sounds nice Kat. If you go back, Mrs T says can you get that Raven's head for her?
    Ta!
  • You two are so weird...but I like you :> Fantastic Halloween spread by the way...awesome!
  • PS it hadn't decomposed- still v fresh. I'll go back in a month with a Tesco bag.
  • KatRobin said:

PS it hadn't decomposed- still v fresh. I'll go back in a month with a Tesco bag.

Mrs T says yay!
    You don't see many dead crows or ravens apparantly as they are very long lived.
    Hopefully no crafty fox will have run off with it by then. A return with a penknife and a quick decapitation would be ideal !
  • I can't wait. It almost beats missing the RAH gig.

NOT!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!