Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • Yeah, they are really rare in the Netherlands. I waited at an entry of a badgers' burrow once at dusk. Just laid there very quiet, waiting for the badgers to come out. And there they were: an adult and three youngsters. One of them started sniffing and licking my shoe. Now that was really really cool !
  • My daughter went to a nature reserve in South Africa this year with some friends. A honey badger wandered into their picnic and started sniffing at a guy's toes. Then it started nibbling them.

The game warden said, "Don't do anything, or he'll claw your nadgers off." The guy had to sit still and wait for the HB to lose interest and wander off again.

Bizarrely, my daughter is planning to return next year to do ranger training.   
    Post edited by whisperit at 2013-12-02 08:38:35
  • This thread is one of my favourites on the GMB...

So look at these Barn Owl chicks. Aren´t they cute?
    I found them on an attic of a chrurch in Romania. The people of the church were very proud, because having Barn Owls in your church means good luck and prosperity. Scaring them away means bad bad bad luck to the whole community!

Post edited by Jeronimooo at 2013-12-05 12:28:06
  • they look really confused! cute and fluffy though :)
  • Apparently a rare kind of owl (a northern hawk owl I believe) has been seen near my school in Zwolle. 
    They even made tshirts.

• ^^Those Romanians are right, Jeronimooo. Barn Owls are good luck (unless you're a mouse). When I'm recovered, I'd be glad of your recommendations for where to go in Romania for wildlife. It's top of my list to visit before it all gets turned into part of the featureless Euro-farm.

Great owl, Anoukvdm. There's a page of audio recordings here

Post edited by whisperit at 2013-12-06 04:02:41
  • Just let me know, W. I'll be glad to tell were I went and what my experiences were. I like these eastern European countries a lot: Bulgaria, Macedonia and Bosnia-Hercegovina are great too. My "to-do-list" still contains Albania and Montenegro...

@Anouk: tof, die sperweruil!!!
    Post edited by Jeronimooo at 2013-12-06 02:43:45
  • A friend just texted me asking if i remembered a landlady from our local pub... "the woman with bear feet". Lol, took me a while to realise what he meant! :-)
  • ^ are you sure it wasn't a bear with a woman's feet?

• Meanwhile, the Redwings have arrived in the garden. Every year, they come en masse to strip the holly tree of its berries. It usually takes 3 or 4 days; sometimes they're done by the end of November, but this year everthing seems late.
  • omg carpathians photos!!!
    soundcloud.com/hrknopf - whoop whoop, check check check
  • No Redwings seen in our garden yet, but the Fieldfares are here, feeding on rose hips and apples left in the top of our tree.
  • I've posted this in the Raaaaant thread too, which is a bit naughty. But owing to the subject, I'm posting it every-flippin'-where....

An Idaho court has just approved a wolf hunting competition, to start NOW.

To protest against it, please sign the on-line petition here

• Done it.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
    Post edited by Jeronimooo at 2014-10-15 16:27:57

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!