Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG... WATCH THIS.
  • Adam Curtis - Bitter Lake (BBC iplayer only - sorry folks not in UK)

Love Adam Curtis. The editing and pointless filling and etravagent location shots of documantaries on mainstream TV sometime really gets on my nerves as it's often ends up making the message a bit to easy to swallow.

Not with this. It does have a lot of spaces with no narration (it's over 2 hours long) just footage and atmospheric music that people might find teadious (and quite melodramatic) but i find beautiful and moving ...and teh information is shocking and deeply worrying. Also these space give you time to think on the info you have hust learned. Bit like the Apollo space documentary that Brain Eno did the music for. I though I was well informed and up to do date with the world. But there is so much we are not told.

Well done BBC althlough not sure if there a bit worried about too many poeple knowing about it hiding it on BBC’s iPlayer. Although probably more it doesn’t  fit in with tedious constraints like schedules or conventional ideas about what television should look
    like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02gyz6b/adam-curtis-bitter-lake
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2015-02-03 07:24:01
  • 71 Comments sorted by
  • Ok, I haven't watched it- but I'd like to. Is it the thinking, "He who controls the oil, controls the world?" It just goes to show how unevolved the Human Race is. All that suffering, and money spent on military training and equipment..such a shame. I have female friends in the military..engaged in this male drama for power and control. You see, an evolved race would use their money and technology to delvelop a new clean energy source..rather than unevolved fighting to control the present one. Oil, natural gas, shale...we know of other alternative energy sources besides those. It's an old male orientated mindset...conquer and control. Just fucked.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-02-03 15:59:45
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Hear hear Ponygurl. We are getting solar panels soon, our little lady-bit for the environment. Still need the petrol to get to work though....damn.
  • Cool Kat! Every little bit helps. I watched some of the documentary- really interesting and thought provoking for sure. When I see War footage, all I can think of is...Apes. Those damned dirty Apes, haha. Male violence has to be addressed. It's like watching big, stupid, hairy ape-children fight to the death..then you realize, holy shit..they're Human men! Why haven't men evolved is the real question and issue...but I digress.
    U R I E L
  • Er! Slightly sexist Pony. The aggression in men has always been there. It's society that needs to address it. I'm a very passive man, but I was probably born that way. Military institutions actually do a lot to help men who have been failed by society. Many victims of abuse and neglect and a lack of male/ family role model without which they would be taking their aggression out on us. The fault is not on the actual shoulders it's what politicians make them do and the impossible situations they are put and the propaganda they use to get them there.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2015-02-04 16:07:38
  • Also I look at women in business and I see them taking on all that male aggression and actually being even more psychotic than ther male equivalents. So women have that capacity. And as women have started taking on male roles, so many men have started taking on female roles and men as a whole have become much compassionate and empathetic.
  • For me the video is all about mis information and the fact our media simplifies complicated information in order to win votes and give the impression of progress and moral high ground and more importantly to keep us distracted/ happy.
  • You're absolutely correct tatt...actually, I feel sorry for men and women BOTH who have been brainwashed into thinking violence is a solution. The military plays up the "Hero" role to the hilt..and soldiers come back physically and psychologically damaged..never-mind disenfranchised. I'm just trying to find a way to cull the violence. Kill it. Maybe we can kill it by understanding and addressing it. You know, even with all my feminist rantings..I love men. Most women (but certaintly not all) are natural protectors..maybe I just wish men would be too.

Maybe I'm just an old soul tired of seeing this same old drama being played out..over and over again. I just want change.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-02-04 16:21:05
    U R I E L
  • For me the video is all about mis information and the fact our media simplifies complicated information in order to win votes and give the impression of progress and moral high ground and more importantly to keep us distracted/ happy.

But really, isn't it all about domination and control?
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-02-04 16:23:11
    U R I E L
  • Ponygurl said:

For me the video is all about mis information and the fact our media simplifies complicated information in order to win votes and give the impression of progress and moral high ground and more importantly to keep us distracted/ happy.

But really, isn't it all about domination and control?

Yes, it's about control and yes, it is mainly by men but that could be women as well if we keep evolving the way we are.

When we think of 'dominating and controling' system we think of  the Romans, Nazi's, Communists, etc. Whereas we think we are in a free society. But we are be controled as much as those oppresive systems. But it's a much mire sublte system, one where we think we are in comtrol, but we're too drunk on technology and cheap luxury items and too confused by the media messages we get (if we can be bothered to watch the news when we have 8 DVD box sets we can watch 24/7) to be aware of what is going on. They like it that way. I mean i'm a hypocryte as well. I love my iphone. But at least i know whats going on. I actually feel I have more control in teh internet. I coudld live with out TV.

In the UK we are having an arguement about which parties should be invited to a TV political debate. But nobody is discussing how pointless these debates have become. The politicians who are good at these bits of theatre are the ones that simplfy everything into nice easy statements. We demand yes no answers to very complicated questions. But politics is sooo complicated and simplifying issues is actually dangerous. That is what the latest Adam Curtis stuff is all about. We want to be made too feel alright. The problems in the middle east with IS make us worried so our governments bomb them (and we have no proof they actually have bombed THEM) and and we feel better, when actually these actions cold actually be making things worse. But they do it as the solutions are so complicated they would take to long to apply. It also distracts us all from issues nearer to home.

We are partly to blame aswell as we demand instant solutions from our politicans and they are just trying to keep their jobs and find the easiest, short term way of pleasing us. And the shocking thing is our news is now considered entertainment. Why have a boring story about the fact our finacial system could fail at any moment when we can have a story about a TV celeb who may or may not (i.e. not proven yet) may be a pedofile.

• God! I'm ranting!

Back on your point. I think Armies are a product of male behaviour. To make a good soilder you have to bring out the real 'man' gene. The good of this is strength, skill, dedication, endurance and fierce loyality. Men can be amazingly loyal to each other like brothers way more then
    women. Just look at kids in a playground. I'm so glad I was a boy. I was never cool or good at sport but at least I
    only just got punched a few times (and when I meet one bully later in life they were over nice to me - slighty in owe of me!). But women are f**king awful in their teens! They can destroy a womans confidence for life. Many playing this phycological behaviour into their 30s!

But then the bad is uncrontrolled agression, violence, biggotry, nationalistci racism, etc... I would last 5 seconds in the army. I'm pretty terrified just hanging out with a rugby team in a bar. Their behaviour goes from threats of potential violence to acts physical contact the border homoerotica. One minute they are hiting each other the nexy they are kissing! And many of these were top university graduates.

But hey, amazonian villages have warriors to protect their village, they understand they have to control and give purpose to the warrior gene. If we were invaded and words were not enough to defend ourselves, I wouldn't then want an army of Goldfrapp fans to defend our country.

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2015-02-05 05:27:25
  • I guess I'm trying to understand the underlying issue..violence. Why are men taught to cut off emotion..because it makes it easier to kill others then? Kill and take..the history of man. It's an undermining or killing of others so a particular male or men can have control. I'm interested in the psychology of it. My female friends in the military have advanced weapons training- weapons are the great equalizer. Must women use weapons to obtain equal status? I hope not. I don't want women to join the boys club. It's regressive to the species.

We need to stop debating whether men are more violent or arguing about whether women could be as violent as men if they had the chance, and take accurate stock of the evidence: United Nations Economic Commission for Europe data show that in the U.S. and Europe, 85%-100% of people convicted of assault are men. And 90% of murders are committed by men. Men are by far the principal perpetrators of rape, war, torture, incest, sexual abuse, sexualized murder, and genocide. We need to investigate what it is about men and masculinity that is so conducive of and associated with such a wide range of violent behavior.

I know here in America- corrupt corporations have committed mass fraud against its people, and the Feds do nothing. The Justice System has failed to do its job. When there is such a huge disparity between the classes..that's when violence breaks out. I think Bitter Lake makes that statement too. Here's an interesting clip I found. It talks about the rise in violence here in the US.

U R I E L
  • This is why we should Make Love, Not War. (Warning: crap music and may make you cry a little)

U R I E L
  • And men's agression is blamed on testosterone.  So much for medical "science".
  • It should of been that fat ass Dick Cheney getting his body blown to bits. I can't tell you how disgusted I was over the whole Halliburton affair. These old fat motherfuckers, we call politicians, put our youth on deaths door. They're impressionable young kids- "See the world, be the Hero"...Cheney's gonna rot in Hell.

War is Peace. Fighting for Peace. It's the exact fucking opposite.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-02-06 09:18:43
    U R I E L

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!