Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 81 Comments sorted by
  • I would really, really like to just point out that not all men are these sex-driven, murderous, power-hungry lunatics that treat women as objects and are supposedly taking out their inner frustrations vicariously through GTA. There are actually some of us who are decent and, you know, aren't psychopaths?
    Just want to make that heard at this point where there seems to be a massive generalisation of men in this thread.

• Me to Low. In fact, I have never seemed to pick up the video game/ on line game bug. I could only take 30 minutes of Space Invaders/Breakout at the pub. That's showing my age!
    I did take to Pinball for a while but, ultimately not cerebrally challenging enough.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

• Why is any form of violence acceptable entertainment?  What a weird race we are to think that violence is okay but consensual sex is not.  Scenes of people killing people are all over the TV and movies but, god forbid, that anyone has consensual sex.  Now, there is something that very few people really know how to do and might actually come in handy some day: sexually satisfy their partner.  Sorry, guys, if you are lasting about two minutes (as 75% of men do), it's not going to be very satisfying.  

So, people are worried that kids might get the idea of having sex and, yet, there is no way that violence might also give them ideas.  Oh, yeah, and it's okay for adults.  Thank goodness nobody used the word mature instead.  I think that only mature people should be allowed to watch any form of violence.  They wouldn't.  I only wish I were that mature.  No, I grew up with shoot-em-ups, just like a grew up with American football.  And, I still watch both, even though both are totally ridiculous and a waste of time.  And, the violence in movies is always so well "justified" by the unbelievably improbable actions of the bad guy.  As well as cars that blow up (which they don't) and tires that squeal on dirt roads.  Does it ever cross your mind that, if we could ever have a society that we didn't go about promoting bad guys in movies, games, and the media, that maybe they would wither away?  Nah, probably not realistic, right?  Of course, there is war and war means killing, which is why I was very careful to specify entertainment in the first sentence.  Nowadays, you know how they prepare soldiers for battle and killing?  By conditioning them through simulations of the event, so that when they go into the real-world situation, they don't hesitate.  Without that, most folks just won't get around to actually shooting another human being.  I guess that means we aren't completely stupid, just well programmed.  Hmmmm. 

Well, I'll stop there.  I could go on for hours.

Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-11-26 18:41:54
  • Wasn't going to comment again in this thread, but feel I need to...
    Low- nobody, certainly not I, said that ALL men are sex-driven murderous lunatics etc. there are plenty of wonderful men out there who can think of far more peaceable and constructive ways to spend their time ...
    I never suggested this was a feminist issue, though the violence aimed towards women would suggest so. I abhor violence full stop. Directed at anything or anybody for any reason.
    And as for your assertion that the game is ok as it has this 18C and WE ( re...who?) need to enforce this...well that is so naive it's laughable! if it were that easy then no children would be exposed to any of the evils of the modern world. Adults buy the game, kids get hold of it, it's as simple as that. And even if they don't actually get to play the game themselves, they still know of its content via other media channels. Then the sense of it being forbidden and adult only , only makes it more appealing. I didn't mean to offend anybody by my strong assertions, but this is the reality- a large proportion of kids today are damaged because of their background situations, angry for a multitude of different reasons, and just don't need this filth to inflame them further.
  • Me to Low. In fact, I have never seemed to pick up the video game/ on line game bug. I could only take 30 minutes of Space Invaders/Breakout at the pub. That's showing my age!
    I did take to Pinball for a while but, ultimately not cerebrally challenging enough.

I once (and only once) played Space Invaders in a pub.  The game lasted no more than two minutes (maybe less) and ended without my gaining any clear idea of what I was supposed to have been doing.  I felt that I'd been swindled out of whatever coin I put into the machine.  Still, in so far as this experience steered me clear of video games, it may have been a good investment.  I hate to think of what monsters Space Invaders has turned into.
  • Good, I'm glad you don't. I know nobody directly said that (for what a bold statement it would be), but a lot of the messages talking about the "male psyche" and such, as if it's some absolute that applies to all men, just seemed a bit of a huge generalisation. 
    But I know that isn't the case, the same way this thread wasn't created just to address the issues of objectification of women or feminism; the main criticism is its availability to unsuitable age groups, as you've said.
    Just wanted to to clear that up. Carry on.

• This is a worrying thought, but... I wonder whether, if children are sufficiently determined to have such games, it is possible to prevent them from doing so.  There are always going to be adults prepared to provide them.  The more difficult they are for a child to procure, the more effective a weapon they are in a pedophile's grooming arsenal.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to have thought of that.
  • Kat, you answered your question to me in your next sentence. The adult who buys the games should be held accountable. Instead of writing angry letters when you find your child has procured something they aren't of age for identity who got it for them and direct the attention there. That's where a result can be had. No entertainment developer in any medium will change the content because parents cant control whether or not their children can find a path to access it. If that was feasible 95% of all entertainment, including Frapp probably, would disappear. Im not arguing your point, although I do think it's overstated, but I do disagree with your solution. It's the equivalent of shutting the blinds because you dont like the view.
  • Let's take a slightly different example.  I think that most people would agree that cursing is immature and, yet, most everyone does it.  Interesting thing, that in Japan about the most offensive cursing is something like monkey-face or bell pepper (i.e. empty) head.  That is because only children are allowed to curse.  It does not become a "sophisticated" thing that adults do to show off how impressive they are.  As a western culture, we are sooooo confused.
  • Whickwithy said:Let's take a slightly different example.  I think that most people would agree that cursing is immature 

Jesus shitting Christ , fucking beballacks
    no . Sure , some use it instead of "um" or "er" to fill in gaps and I`d concur that some kids use it as a rite of passage whilst growing up , to "look hard" or again as you say to show off . But , it can also express a depth or seriousness to what you are saying (without being threatening) or comedic effect (if done well - Bill Hicks , Richard Pryor for example or not Chubby Brown / Mrs Browns Boys) . 

............still , you`re a Canadian .

Post edited by Sartori at 2014-11-28 10:48:24
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Call me a stupid . ignorant twat , I`ll add it to my CV .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

Whickwithy said:

Let's take a slightly different example.  I think that most people would agree that cursing is immature 

Jesus shitting Christ , fucking beballacks no . Sure , some use it instead of "um" or "er" to fill in gaps and I`d concur that some kids use it as a rite of passage whilst growing up , to "look hard" or again as you say to show off . But , it can also express a depth or seriousness to what you are saying (without being threatening) or comedic effect (if done well - Bill Hicks , Richard Pryor for example or not Chubby Brown / Mrs Browns Boys) . 

............still , you`re a Canadian .

Gotta agree here. The "traditional" swear words that are still so frowned upon but used in everyday conversation like "fuck" or "shit" or "Jesus Christ" aren't even that bad anymore. There's worse words around that should be treated with the same taboo-mindset that some people give these.
    Those would include the real fuckers; words such as slavery, or torture, or UKIP.

• I know some of you guys got a little whacked out that I brought up the male psyche. I'm not trying to generalize..I was talking about the game. I do have an interest in the subject though. The game featured soliciting strippers and prostitutes. One of my friends recently came back from Cuba- he was doing Missionary work, building a church. He's 25, married and has two young children. He bragged to me how he paid for two 19 year old prostitutes and had sex with them. He said alot of the men do it. He said he felt "guilty" but wanted "no strings" sex. I've been solicited by young prostitutes too and have also been to the "back room" of strip clubs. Being a woman, I have an entirely different take on the subject.

The girl on girl clip of GTA interests me, because as you see..she wants the experience too. She also objectified the characters in the game. She wants sex..and I guess if I played it, I would too. The part that I just don't get, is the violence. I could go on a feminist rant about sex trafficking, poverty and drug addiction..but I won't. The game just seems to me to glorify power at any cost. Anywho, I've played Skyrim too...it took me a whole fucking hour once to get off the side of a mountain.

As for cursing- it's done for effect. It just kind of intensifies what you're doing or saying..albeit funny, angry, passionate- it's exaggerated expression, if you will. Yes, I use it from time to time :D
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • (Great discussion!!)
    Kinda wanted to stay out of this one. Just courious and content to read everyone's oppinions on the matter but then Sartori made me laugh out loud with his puerile humor. Long live SouthPark! That is all, carry on... :P
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • A_is_A said:

(Great discussion!!)

YEAH

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!