Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Thought I would begin a thread dedicated to rubbishing the things we loathe and despise, or which generally get on our wick! 5 things in order of contempt value ( no 1 being most despicable!). Here're mine:
    1- Michael Goon / Gove
    2- "Reality" TV shows that think it's clever to disrespect animal rights( such as I'm a Numpty Get My Out Of Here)
    3 - Tattoos ( oo, controversial, but sorry, I personally hate em!)
    4- cellulite
    5- Duvet covers ( ironing them and putting the ruddy things on)

I could go on...and on...but I'm showing up customary restraint! What're yours folks?
  • 47 Comments sorted by
  • ^ you iron your duvet covers?  :O
  • Reality TV. We could be here sometime. What particularly pisses me off is on progs like Pop Idol where they would bring the worst people back at the end to sing in a group. WAKE UP PEOPLE. They are taking the piss out of you, you did not make it through because you were shit/a moron, sometimes both, and taking part in this is demeaning both to you as a person and us as viewers.
    Are you really that desperate for 5 minutes of fame?
    Britain's Strictly got your Brothers DIY Idol on ice. Lowest denominator TV for the brain dead.
    Popular with Zombie's I hear.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Yes Ping....and me PJs :-SS I'm very anally retentive.
  • 1. TV
    2. Radio
    3. Corporate cultures
    4. Governments
    5.Violent video games

No particular order, really.
  • Sexism
    Homophobia
    Racism

The misappropriation of Orwellian concepts into 'reality' TV

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Oooh, I like that last one, though I'm not sure I understand it.

• Sexism
    Homophobia
    Racism

me too B_M. 

ww... theres a reality tv program called 'big brother', i dunno if you have a version in the US? its an absolute awful bag of shite imo.
  • ping said:

Sexism
    Homophobia
    Racism

me too B_M. 

ww... theres a reality tv program called 'big brother', i dunno if you have a version in the US? its an absolute awful bag of shite imo.

That's the one, I'm not even sure what I think of BBC's 'Room 101', I sometimes see the most trivial things being thrown in there ;)
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-06-09 11:43:46
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

• The misappropriation of Orwellian concepts into 'reality' TV

Ironic that the title of this thread, "room 101" is also an Orwellian concept from the same book that gave us "Big Brother"
  • ^ it crossed my mind too! Haha. But big brother has to be the worst, no?
  • B_M I preferred the old style 101 where it was just one guest and the things you don't like was just a pretext for an interview. The new one with frank skinner I find a bit rubbish.
  • I find it all a bit rubbish too, does slightly cheapen the horror of the concept, but not perhaps to the extent 'Big Brother' does.

There is an excellent BBC version of 1984 made in the 1950's with Peter Cushing as Winston Smith and it really captures the horror of Room 101. It was considered so horrific and controversial at the time of braodcast it led to numerous complaints and questions in Parliament.

I should also say 'newspeak' is something to go in Room 101 which Whickwithy covers quite nicely ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • b Mind- is that version of 1984 available anywhere to watch? Would like to see that. And I think we should distinguish on this thread between Room 101, the TV show- type thing, where we can throw in any kind of trivial annoyances ( that was my plan for the thread) and the 1984 interpretation, phobias and ultimate fears- which deserves a thread of its own ( but then again I guess it would be very short as we all have the same existential ones, pretty much, don't we?). Keep it trivial!
  • Kat, here you go

For the record the Goldfrapp Forum 101 is totally cool ;) you get some good threads out there btw ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Can I add

1. Justin Bieber
    2. Fukushima Nuclear reactor

The thought of Bieber being Fukushimad brings a smile to my face!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!