Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 47 Comments sorted by
  • B_M I preferred the old style 101 where it was just one guest and the things you don't like was just a pretext for an interview. The new one with frank skinner I find a bit rubbish.
  • I find it all a bit rubbish too, does slightly cheapen the horror of the concept, but not perhaps to the extent 'Big Brother' does.

There is an excellent BBC version of 1984 made in the 1950's with Peter Cushing as Winston Smith and it really captures the horror of Room 101. It was considered so horrific and controversial at the time of braodcast it led to numerous complaints and questions in Parliament.

I should also say 'newspeak' is something to go in Room 101 which Whickwithy covers quite nicely ;)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • b Mind- is that version of 1984 available anywhere to watch? Would like to see that. And I think we should distinguish on this thread between Room 101, the TV show- type thing, where we can throw in any kind of trivial annoyances ( that was my plan for the thread) and the 1984 interpretation, phobias and ultimate fears- which deserves a thread of its own ( but then again I guess it would be very short as we all have the same existential ones, pretty much, don't we?). Keep it trivial!
  • Kat, here you go

For the record the Goldfrapp Forum 101 is totally cool ;) you get some good threads out there btw ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Can I add

1. Justin Bieber
    2. Fukushima Nuclear reactor

The thought of Bieber being Fukushimad brings a smile to my face!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I'll be controversial and add all nuclear power stations to that.

I'd also like to have a further addition to the 'newspeak' with The Sun and Daily Mail newspapers.

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • 1. TV
    2. Radio

Really Whickwithy, TV and radio?
    Not all of TV is bad. I have very fond memories of it as a child and although a great degree of the output now is shite (IMHO) there is still the odd nugget of gold to be discovered; at least on British TV.
    As for radio, Mrs T and I stuck with radio 1 for years after we were persona non grata by the station. We affected their listening figures apparently by not bring in their target audience and being too old so making the average age of a listener too high. Well sorry for that Radio 1, we still love discovering new music and refused to move to Radio 2 so fuck you!
    In the long run though, they did us a favour. We poked up with the morons they got in to host shows, and their stupid 'Show Bots' and the like, and when they lost people like Jo Wiley and Marc Riley we had to go. Now on Radio 6 Music and we think we have a new spiritual home, and found a lot of old friends like Mary Anne Hobbs and Marc who are about the same age and still KICK ARSE !
    Just sat here inputting this and they played Iron Man by Black Sabbath. - Bliss !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-09 15:49:00
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Have I mentioned newspapers and Journalists? Wankers. Tell lies or make it up for a living. Started by that pudding Robert Maxwell.
    I heard he was on his boat with a prostitute. He was naked (Ugh) and cornered her on deck against the rail and told her she had to toss him off.
    So she did !
  • Naughty UT......that's another story for the Conspiracies thread :>
  • Rudeness

Two faced people

Gossip

Liars

hiv
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• banana said:

Rudeness

Two faced people

Gossip

Liars

hiv

Hey Banana. Hope this finds you well my man.
    Like you, I hate two faced people and particularly hypocrites. Liars I can live with. In polite society, we all have to lie a little (little white lies). Have been lucky and never known anyone with HIV but did have a dear friend die if Staphylococcus Meningitas.
    When you work in large groups, I am afraid gossip in inevitable.
    Hope you find your peace in whatever way suits you.
  • Newspapers or should I now say "newsvehicles", UT!  How did I miss that??!?!  I should clarify my concept on TV.  I should say "broadcast" TV.  If I really like a show (how I find out that I like it is another matter entirely), I'll buy the DVD.  That way, also, I am not held hostage to the schedule  that is broadcast.  And, believe me, there are very, very few that I pick up.  I'd rather watch the same superlative show a number of times than broadcast crap and ads even once.  And, I think that gives my answer to radio, as well.  About once a year, I turn on the radio and find the same crap songs on (for awhile there, everyone sounded like Adele - nothing against Adele, but I don't need 18 versions of her).  And, in the U.S., at least, much, much much (oh, heck, I could add about 200 more "much"es to that) worse is the banter.  It makes me want to puke.  Really.  Then, there are the talk shows that make me physically ill to llisten, not to mention that lunatic right wing talk shows that I stand aghast at.  I guess I just got terribly sick of all of the programming and conditioning being thrown at us regularly.  Thank god my tastes are simple.  And, if I ever feel I am running short on tunes to listen to (much, much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,much more important than boobtube - (okay, I'm going tangential here for a moment.  I could not, for the longest time, bring myself to watch Twilight.  It just sounded lame.  I found an extremely cheap version of one of the films and got hooked.  Loved it.  I still haven't a clue why, but I loved it.  Anyways, for some reason, I became fascinated with Kristen Stewart and did a little research.  In the midst of the research, I ran across an interview of hers where she made the most fascinating comment. Something about (I paraphrase), "I mean, like isn't it wierd?  People watching people playing other people."  I'm telling you, that's one sharp lady!  A real thinker and that is so very rare. but I digress) I have finally found a reasonable source for finding new tunes that I like - this board.  And, better yet!  Nowadays, I can check out damn near any song on Youtube before I purchase it!  It's wierd, though.  I am totally satiated with the songs I have collected, so far in life, and don't have any strong desire to go gather more, though I do enjoy a quick scan (like Hunter's playlists) of new music (and I compile a list in case I feel the need for new tunes some day).  And, the same as I said about TV.  I would rather listen to something awesome, over-the-top (which, by the way, is damn near every song that Goldfrapp has ever played) a thousand times than some run-of-the-mill crap once.  It used to be that radio was the primary way to get exposed to new music (sad to say the middle men had us all by the balls - did I mention how I feel about critics).  Not any more.

Whew!  I haven't spewed like that in ages!
  • Sexism
    Homophobia
    Racism

The misappropriation of Orwellian concepts into 'reality' TV

Doesn't misogyny belong on this list?
  • I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I'd like to nominate Barack Obama to go in Room 101.

Right at the beginning of his first term, he received the Nobel Peace Prize although, as yet, he had done virtually nothing.  I thought at the time that he was awarded it for (a) being black and (b) not being George Bush.  Of course, previous recipients of the prize include Henry Kissinger and lovable old Uncle Joe Stalin.

Amongst Obama's contributions to world peace since receiving the prize are:

1. Doing nothing at all to promote Arab-Israeli peace.
    2. Pulling out of Iraq so precipitately that the unhappy country has ever since suffered terrible sectarian violence and now has an Islamist insurgency that has already released a bloodbath and threatens much worse.
    3. Supporting Libyan rebels with (presumably peaceful) bombing, leading toward more violence and greater instability.
    4. Exacerbating the situation in Syria in his attempt to relaunch the cold war.
    5. Taking further steps to revive the cold war over Ukraine.
  • 1. People who think/say "its just the internet" and talk like utter bellends on it , instead of talking like you would in real life , the keyboard warriors with twat issues that they are .
    2. People with narcissism issues , "facts ! I don`t let shitty facts stand in the way of my disproportionately outraged opinion , which is fact" ahem , you know who you are
    3. People who automatically think the worst of people rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt
    4. Attention seekers
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!