Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 4410 Comments sorted by
  • Mozart's Requiem in D Minor

Brilliant stirring stuff from start to end.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I love Mozart.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Currently, learning how to play Pachelbel's Canon in D on piano.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Alan said:

I love Mozart.

I'd never really found anything by him that hit the spot - I was more for the dramatic stuff like Rachmaninov, Gorecki, Chopin etc etc.

Mad really that the first Mozart thing that stops me in my tracks was his last thing AND something he didn't even finish himself!

'Lacrimosa' is utterly, utterly amazing.
  • Alan said:

I love Mozart.

I'd never really found anything by him that hit the spot - I was more for the dramatic stuff like Rachmaninov, Gorecki, Chopin etc etc.

Mad really that the first Mozart thing that stops me in my tracks was his last thing AND something he didn't even finish himself!

'Lacrimosa' is utterly, utterly amazing.

For sure, Pachelbel is much mellower than the other guys.

Some of my most played pieces are:

'Flight of the Bumblebee' by Korsakov
    'Für Elise' by Beethoven
    'Fugue' by Bach
    'Gymnopedie' by Satie
    'In the Hall of the Mountain King' by Grieg
    'March' by Prokofiev
    'Morning Mood' by Grieg
    'Pathetique Sonata' by Beethoven
    'Pictures at an Exhibition' by Mussorgsky (Bydlo, The Gnome, The Old Castle)
    'Prelude No. 4' by Chopin
    'Reverie' by Debussy

and many others.

• I'd never really found anything by him that hit the spot - I was more for the dramatic stuff like Rachmaninov, Gorecki, Chopin etc etc.

Try the Adagio to the Serenade in B-flat for 13 winds. It's unlike anything else Mozart has ever done. I also love the Tuba Mirum from the Requiem. The beginning is a moving duet for trombone and bass voice. The trombone continues to play with the voice even after the tenor voice takes over.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • By the way, I also really dig the big guys. My favorites are Richard Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, and Stravinsky.
  • iuventus said:

Try the Adagio to the Serenade in B-flat for 13 winds. It's unlike anything else Mozart has ever done. I also love the Tuba Mirum from the Requiem. The beginning is a moving duet for trombone and bass voice. The trombone continues to play with the voice even after the tenor voice takes over.

I'll report back!
  • I presume you're a fan of Gorecki's 3rd with Dawn Upshaw, Carpy, no?

• I'll report back!

Mind, the Adagio is not big, just intense. The way the oboe, clarinet, and basset horn hand off the sonorous melody...
  • iuventus said:

Try the Adagio to the Serenade in B-flat for 13 winds. It's unlike anything else Mozart has ever done. I

Really rather nice. Very subtle builds, especially the mid section when it keeps falling away before lifting fully.

It's......elegant, for want of a better word.

Great choice. Thanks.
  • A cracking version of Requiem's Lacrimosa - Karl Böhm & Sinfónica de Viena.

Must look out for the full version of this.

• Soft Cell - Where The Heart Is

"Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • China Crisis - Working with Fire and Steel

"Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!