Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 4411 Comments sorted by
  • Roisin  Murphy - Collaborations folder
    7 Hills

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Dreeke said:

Sorry Chuvches ... this is how you do dark electronic music with soul!

Ehm.... Chvrches don't even try to do dark electronic music.....
    It's like posting a Nirvana clip and saying Sorry Fleet Foxes... This is how you do 90's Grunge with teenage angst!

;)

I know, it was a flippant remark. But it's just I so want to like them. I was listening to their album and it didn't connect with me. I think it's just there are so many acts that sound like this at the moment (+ pure pop acts that are getting cooler producers) that you need an edge, something unique. They have the classic synth duo look, sexy girl, geeky bloke (or two blokes in this case). I remember in the late 90's early 00's there were loads. Mono, Mandalay, Mulu, Frou Frou to name a few and I loved them. 10 years ago i would have loved this!

It's interesting in the last 5 years or so we've had a bit more of that set up, but more focused on the female singer. Pop with an edge. Annie, La Roux, Marina Diamond, Ellie Golding, Little Boots. *They may look like solo acts but these girls all have geeky studio guys behind them, without which they would be folky singers of piano ballad girls. But it's interesting that although these acts all courted an edgier sound to their pop songs their follow up albums have proved they just want to be pure pop! Very infuriating. Although Annie being the one exception (but look where that has got her!)

So what are Chvches aiming at with their sound? Their sound is too interesting to be pure pop, but not dark enough or complex enough to be edgy, and not emotive enough to be ethereal. Sometimes it's good like The Mother We share but then on Gun it's like Depeche Mode backing Carly Rae Jepsen. With tracks like Science/Visions, You Caught The Light they are obviously not trying to be a pop band but then others they could be tracks on Ellie Golding's new album. It's funny you say they are the opposite of dark electronic music but the guys are obviously massive Mode fans.

I then put on Phantogram and it just seemed like the same thing but so much more interesting. All personal taste though.

• Dreeke said:

It's interesting in the last 5 years or so we've had a bit more of that set up, but more focused on the female singer. Pop with an edge. Annie, La Roux, Marina Diamond, Ellie Golding, Little Boots. *They may look like solo acts but these girls all have geeky studio guys behind them, without which they would be folky singers of piano ballad girls. But it's interesting that although these acts all courted an edgier sound to their pop songs their follow up albums have proved they just want to be pure pop! Very infuriating. Although Annie being the one exception (but look where that has got her!)

So what are Chvches aiming at with their sound? Their sound is too interesting to be pure pop, but not dark enough or complex enough to be edgy, and not emotive enough to be ethereal. Sometimes it's good like The Mother We share but then on Gun it's like Depeche Mode backing Carly Rae Jepsen. With tracks like Science/Visions, You Caught The Light they are obviously not trying to be a pop band but then others they could be tracks on Ellie Golding's new album. It's funny you say they are the opposite of dark electronic music but the guys are obviously massive Mode fans.

I then put on Phantogram and it just seemed like the same thing but so much more interesting. All personal taste though.

The album sounds like a first album should , its full of their songs written with the sound they want (whether thats DM or otherwise) with an element of lack of coherence , it lacks the (cynical) polish that second albums (sometimes/usually/all the time - depending on your personal experience) where the label drive the sound , texture and overall feel through a big name producer . It has (and I cringe to say the cliche but can`t be arsed to think of new words to say it ) a delightful naivety to it .  
    I`m seeing them live in October , I expect to be `happy` after the gig .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Fennesz - Endless Summer
    A Year In A Minute

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Ironically I came onto this thread to say that I was listening to Chvrches, but was pleasantly surprised to find that everyone is talking about them (with both positive and negative opinions).  Although I'm not sitting on the fence I agree a little with everyone.  I have bought selected tracks from the iTunes album as I don't feel that every track is as magical as The Mother We Share.  Currently listening to Broken Bones which in my opinion does have the edge that Tatt commented is missing from many of the tracks.
    Post edited by mode_devotion at 2013-09-23 17:38:51
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • Sartori said:

The album sounds like a first album should , its full of their songs written with the sound they want (whether thats DM or otherwise) with an element of lack of coherence , it lacks the (cynical) polish that second albums (sometimes/usually/all the time - depending on your personal experience) where the label drive the sound , texture and overall feel through a big name producer . It has (and I cringe to say the cliche but can`t be arsed to think of new words to say it ) a delightful naivety to it .  

I`m seeing them live in October , I expect to be `happy` after the gig .

Agree with a lot you say there.
    The singles (Mothers, Recover, Lies) were actually rerecorded for the album and sound a bit more polished now.
    I must say I prefer the edgier sound of the originals, but it's just details. Still strong songs.

Personal favorite is still Recover. Would've liked to see Now Is Not The Time on the album.

Saw them live twice and walked away very "happy" from both gigs.
    Going to see them again in October the day after. Goldfrapp!! :)

NP: Tom Baxter - The Uncarved Block (Part/One)
    Preparing for an interview with him next thursday... Pretty much excited for that
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Refektor - Arcade Fire

This song is so huge!!

Can't believe 6Music are playing it as song of the day  ....and playing all 7 mins of it. No radio edit!

When Suburbs came out I was kind of disappointed as they hadn't moved on sound wise. The big stopping songs were begining to sound formulaic. But then there were little gems like Modern Man and Suburbs 11. I wanted them to slow down ... but then I had no idea they would go this way. I am putting Goldfrapp like expectations on the album now! :-/
  • Portishead - Portishead

Probably the most i have ever enjoyed this record. Talking about records taking time to sink in, Portishead are very long for me. Bought Dummy as i loved Sour Times but it took nearly 10 years to really fall in love with it. Now Portishead has really grown on me.

Then again maybe it's just a comment of my mind at the mo that I enjoyed it so much :-/. It is still a pretty heavy album. Half Day Closing is still just a bit too much if you are not in the right frame of mind.
  • "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
  • TOU as not been allowed to listen to any Frapp while I was away at my sisters as she hates them. Got a lot to catch up on!
  • The new Jessie J cd. Its a grower i think.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!