Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • I just thought it would be nice to have one thread that is anything but virus-related.

I'll start.  I've been reading a fascinating book by Randall Garrett called Lord Darcy (actually a compilation of all of the stories about Lord Darcy).  It's pretty cool.  It's about an alternate timeline in which the British Monarchy, under Plantagenet rule still runs thing (and a whole bunch of the world) and magic exists.  It's a series of murder mysteries.  Anyways...

Also, just for variety, I really like the movie Joe versus the Volcano for a lot of reasons from the opening song to the depiction of modern work life to the fascinating performance of Meg Ryan.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2020-05-02 16:31:42
  • 18 Comments sorted by
  • One last item.  If you like to read books and are running out and just as soon not go to a bookstore (if they are still open), you might want to try the Gutenberg Project.

Just about any book of note that is no longer copyrighted is there.  From Dickens to Dickinson to Austen to Bronte to Asimov (well, sort of) to Randall Garrett (one of the Lord Darcy tales) to Harry Harrison to Aesop, they've got a lot of books.
  • I've been reading up about British rivers and canals as I've discovered some new cycle routes and find it interested. Oh and listening to music, a lot of electro, alternative rock, ambient and also a bit of Goldfrapp music got played too.
  • Do you prefer non-fiction?  I assume it was a book.

Any particular music that stood out?
  • You mean Goldfrapp music? Or just what I've been listening to? From Goldfrapp I listened to some Felt Mountain and Melancholy Sky as it fits the occasion.

Been listening to black wave and higher by K.Flay and other stuff by her.

Bottom of the deep blue sea by Missio
    Raise Hell by Dorothy
    Phantomgram - You dont get me high anymore,You're Mine
    Lemaitre
    The Score

• Yes I prefer non fiction and factual books.
  • Did any of you listen to the 2 hour Goldfrapp special yesterday? BBC6 Music did a 2 hour special yesterday with Alison phoning in from her lockdown location (not London! ) and she Curated the music played and tweeted throughout the show answering peoples questions. She responded to 2 of mine and also was liking posts all over the place. If you didn’t, get the BBC Sounds app or go to www.bbc.co.uk, go to the radio age and it is available on catchup and you can probably download it as well. A lot of Frapp and other related music. It was very good. 
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • You mean Goldfrapp music? Or just what I've been listening to? From Goldfrapp I listened to some Felt Mountain and Melancholy Sky as it fits the occasion.

Been listening to black wave and higher by K.Flay and other stuff by her.

Raise Hell by Dorothy
    Lemaitre
    The Score

Yes, all of it.  I'm always looking for new music.

Huh, non-fiction fan.  I am envious.  It is seldom I find non-fiction that captures my attention and, yet, I know it's a good idea to read it.  Aaarrrggghhh!!!

• Nice!  I'm surprised I could tune in.  There are some songs that Jules Holland has done that I would love to get my hands on but they are only available in the UK (or, more exactly, not available in the U.S.).

• I enjoyed it, but I have to confess to being a tad disappointed there wasn't anything unexpected in there. Virtually anyone who's heard AG's music choices over the past years could have guessed what non-Frapp music would be played. I suggested Gong's "Selene" as a bonkers Moon -Goddess tribute, and was hoping she'd go for something outrageous. But there we are.
  • Been listening to black wave and higher by K.Flay and other stuff by her. 

Raise Hell by Dorothy 

Lemaitre 

The Score

NIce playlist.  Thanks!  You always surprise me.  Any more?  I'm compiling a new list of tunes to get.  I've around a hundred, I guess.  I could use more.

Partlcularly liked Bulletproof by The Score,  Raise Hell by Dorothy, High Enough and Make Me Fade by K. Flay and just about everything I listened to by Phantogram.  Higher by Lemaitre.  Whoa, Black Wave.

Hmmm, the paragraph marks on your quote didn't work so well....

The more I listen to The Score!  wowWoWWOW!
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2020-05-05 09:31:46
  •  

Post edited by Whickwithy at 2020-05-05 09:27:18
  • Hey Whicky I'm glad you like the new playlist, I gather it wont be to everyone's cup of tea but I really like the use of heavy bass and K Flay in my opinion is an under rated artist. Never heard of her before only through a PC game that's when I got researching
  • I dont like the music that's in the charts so I always look out for alternative stuff. Over in the UK most of us by now have receiver a printed out brochure to celebrate VE Day this Friday. Over the road we have the super eager people with their red, white and blue bunting. They want us to wear 1940s clothes which isnt happening because I dont have such an outfit and I'm not dressing as a spice girl LOL.

But I shall have a toast to all the war personnel,soldiers, home guards and everyone that took part in the war effort. I think it's a celebration of our true British essence to not give in and to never give up.
    Post edited by serenity52 at 2020-05-05 11:12:54
  • I loved your choices as they were radically new to me.  I've been looking at my kaleidoscope, again, and found a new view.  A particular band has the ability to have their songs in any category.  While that's not that unusual, it is unusual when I can fit the same song in every category.  I can do that with just about every one of these songs from 'Ultrapeaceful' to 'Rock and Roll core', from 'Chill' to 'Smooth' playlists.

I really don't care where the music comes from as long as it knocks my socks off.  So few bands can do that regularly knock my socks off.  Sme have a handful  that are that way.  Most, one or two.  Probably the one that most people would shun like crazy (there are a few like that) is "Pocketful of Sunshine".  It is so pop but I love it.  Speaking of Poppies...

Yeah!  VE day.  I was in London one year for that.  That's the day they hand out the flower, right?  Poppies, I think?  It seems like they were red with a white center?  Not the real flower, actually, but an artificial one, made out of paper or something.  I even saw the Queen twice.  We had a moment.  Saw the Horse Guards and stuff too.  That was also the first time I stumbled across Buckingham palace.  I had no idea what it was.

I guess I don't know the Spice Girls very well but I thought they were a little more recent than the 1940's.  Personally, if I were to dress up, I'd have to go back a little further, like the 1700's.  They really knew how to dress up back then.

A toast!
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2020-05-05 15:11:26

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!