Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • ^
    I believe that species is called Exposea Urjunka, or otherwise known as the common 'Flasher' moth. The male of this species is often seen exposing itself to whatever other moths are around, in a futile attempt to mate. Often times it encounters the Ain'tnobodia Gottimefordat moth, which will reject it's advance while silently laughing to itself. Many attempts have been made to understand this behavior, but studies have been limited as the moth usually dies of embarrassment soon after.

It is a spooky sight, esp. if it happens after you've been drinking at nightclub all night and you're simply trying to remember where you parked your car.

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2018-10-29 15:55:37
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Love it!  :))
  • (No cat café..only cat communication here.)

The cat's meeeoow.
    U R I E L
  • One of this year's entries for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year. Just posting it because it's beautiful. An Indonesian clownfish in an anenome

Image may contain: plant
  • @whispered ah, what a beautiful picture of symbiosis. I suppose the clownfish must become resistant to the stings. It's a home with a built-in security system.
    U R I E L
  • Epic trolling by this elephant

• Pied Crows! So adorable

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2019-06-10 20:49:15
    U R I E L
  • Fantastic crows. Wasn't keen on Mr Keyboard though - they're not toys.

Just read Frans de Wall's new book, "Mama's Last Hug", which is a discussion of animal emotion and completely brilliant. His argument is that we have no reason to think animals closely related to us don't have feelings and emotions which are also closely related to ours - and he has the science to show it. Recommended
  • I thought that initially about the keyboard too- but then again realized many times parents have their own children learn a musical instrument. It's stimulation, as long as it's done with positive reinforcement. Looks like he loves those birds. I wasn't keen on the band/leash, but we do that to dogs too.

I remember learning about Koko, the gorilla, when I was younger and her ability to use sign language. Inherently I already know that animals are extremely intelligent, but science insists that we must prove that they meet our standards of so-called 'Human' intelligence. Very revealing. It is the Human animal seeking a reflection of itself.
    U R I E L
  • Yes, but that's what's wrong with dogs too. We have bred and trained them to be reflections of ourselves; and more - a reflection that adores and obeys. Talk about narcissism! Dogs, like crows, are meant to be with their own kind, exploring the world in complete freedom. In the wild, they don't need stimulation or entertainment. The lives of primates taken into human homes and zoos and taught sign language are universally tragic.

I would love to be a falconer, or even to have a tank of fish to keep me company. But I can't stand the thought of depriving a goldfish of the opportunity to swim wherever it likes; to explore a river bank or a sunken log, and be eaten by a pike. 
  • But it is ultimately a question of love here, isn't it? If we choose an animal as a companion, we love, care and protect them from the world.

Yes, naturally animals should be with their own kind- but how cool would it be if a flock of crows flew onto a stage and started playing instruments and singing?

Very cool. Like Harry Potter-type cool.

(Just teasing, sort of.)
    U R I E L
  • U R I E L

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!