Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 176 Comments sorted by
  • I really do wish you'd edit the title of the thread though lol.
  • iuventus said:

Head First is a great album; it just doesn't quite fit into the continuum of what we consider the Goldfrapp opera. Perhaps, it should have been released as an Alison Goldfrapp solo album.

.....or as a Scissor Sisters side project?
    >:) :D

It was fun, not cheesy.      image
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-06-12 03:48:08
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

iuventus said:

Head First is a great album; it just doesn't quite fit into the continuum of what we consider the Goldfrapp opera. Perhaps, it should have been released as an Alison Goldfrapp solo album.

.....or as a Scissor Sisters side project?
    >:) :D

It was fun, not cheesy.      image

Too much FUN! FUN! FUN! can be exhausting though....or maybe that is just me... ;)
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • i guess it was their way of pleasing the record company. putting something out there to appeal to a wider audience and get them a little more cash. You have your poppy stuff, and then you have gorgeous things like voice thing. i think at the time, as Alison said that wasn't really a particularly good year for her either.

compare it to something like the new record... they haven't been rushed, it feels like the record company have given them control over what they do. plus the fact that i think Lisa has become a great asset in both alison's life personally and Goldfrapp's life creatively :)
    Post edited by cookiee_munster at 2013-06-12 04:10:34
  • It did seem to have a rushed element to it...which seemed to not work too well for KB - Lionheart although that also had gems like Wow, In the warm room and K from Baghdad...then time passed and we were treated to Never for ever and The Dreaming!!!!!!  :D :D :D
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • It's a lovely album but it's my least favorite. 
    I have a question. How rare is the record store day cassette? 
  • I really do wish you'd edit the title of the thread though lol.

This! Why the shouting?
  • Well, for what it's worth, I still don't like Head First -- at all.
  • Wooow had forgotten about the cassette
  • I'm fond of Head First and keep it in rotation. There's some very nice, well-crafted music in there. If it has a problem, in my opinion, it's that they nailed the concept too well. Some of its songs really could have been 80s radio hits and as much as I enjoyed a little Olivia Newton-John back in the day... :) Okay, maybe I still enjoy a little ONJ too.
  • "it just doesn't quite fit into the continuum"

All G albums are"explo(r and/or t)ation of era/scene X", e(X) if you will. HF = e(80s)

"VoiceThing ... doesnt seem to fit"

Laurie Anderson - O Superman (1981)

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • It's a lovely album but it's my least favorite. 

I have a question. How rare is the record store day cassette? 

I don't know how rare it is, but the last time I was in Sister Ray a few weeks ago they had a copy, going for about £8 I think, sorry if that's not much help.
    Do you own one and have you ever actually played it? It was quite a novel idea to release an 80's influenced album on cassette I guess, personally I am not a big fan of the cassette format, though they bring back memories,etc
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Ha, me too - I have one too and it's still shrink wrapped!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • i was obsessed with cassettes, wow they go back, today i rinsed my head first vinyl side b track one cause it had an awful skip or two, and it worked, gently with a paper napkin, it worked! wonder what it was, maybe some dirt stuck in the groove.
  • I made a comment at the time and it still holds fairly true. It sounds, to me, like two separate EP's.

One is a good quality Goldfrapp release and the other sounds like the Scissor Sisters had snook into the studio and played some tunes. There's nothing at all wrong with the second lot as pop tunes - they're pretty infectious and were great live - but they just strayed a bit far from where Goldfrapp work best.

When it works, Hunt being a glorious example, it was right on target.

Interestingly around that time... Alison co wrod backing vox for a Scissors b side called sex Exciter....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!