Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 622 Comments sorted by
  • I have the wonderfully adorable Anna Calvi to see on 4 October in Birmingham as well as next year in Roundhouse Camden
    Also Public Service Broadcasting at Royal Albert Hall in November
    U2 at O2 Arena in October
    First Aid Kit in November at O2 Academy Birmingham
    Bootleg Blondie at The Stables in Milton Keynes in December
    Hopefully get some last minute ones in between now and end of year
  • ELO in Amsterdam on Thursday. Going ol skool!!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ELO were fabulous. Mind you, they've had 50 years to perfect their craft and, like Goldfrapp, the reproduction live of the music was first class. 19 songs, 13 people on stage.
    Going into a busy weekend this week with Caro Emerald on Friday, the Floyd Effect on Saturday and then Joan Armatrading on Monday. Phew!
  • You're lucky!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Yeah, we have a busy weekend at the end of October with a John Grant/Toyah ménage à trois as well.
  • @Hells Maybe you can give us some Anna Calvi performance details- she looks awfully sweaty and on her knees alot in recent pics..pretty hot.

(@UT hopefully John Grant will use some lube)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2018-10-04 12:36:38
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • He's more Iuv's type PG. He seems to be a really nice guy, and I love his rich baritone, but I'm convinced his beard would tickle.
  • But I hear he's got his mother's hips.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Well, it was a busy weekend.
    Caro Emerald was excellent. A very infectious and dancy show with a lot of Latin influence. Here's a little film I shot of Caro singing 'Close to me'.

The Floyd Effect on Saturday gave another polished performance; this one for a refugee charity. The band allowed Appy and I access to the set up of the stage rig, the sound check, the Green room, right through until the end of the show as they had asked us to video it. We had a two camera set up and then used some portable cameras to take some close ups to hopefully be cut into the main film feed. Neither he or I are professional film makers and our equipment is just high end amateur, but it was a hoot doing it. They recorded the gig off the desk so we hope we can overdub the soundtrack recorded by the onboard cameras with that. We even made a stop animation of the stage being set up, 90 minutes compressed into 40 seconds.

Then last night we saw Joan Armatrading. This was my 3rd time seeing Joan (first in 1985) and if you get the chance, do it because she is just brilliant. 19 albums over 45 years ( you listening Alison?) Worth it just to hear 'All the way from America' and the stunning 'Love and Affection', arguably one of the best love songs ever written. 'I am not in Love, but I am open to persuasion' Such a great opening line.
    Fabulous.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-10-09 05:43:02
  • Sneaking in an extra curricular one tonight. Off to see Shakatak.
  • Ponygurl said:

@Hells Maybe you can give us some Anna Calvi performance details- she looks awfully sweaty and on her knees alot in recent pics..pretty hot.

(@UT hopefully John Grant will use some lube)

It was a great gig and Anna was wonderfully on fire. New album Hunter sounds even better live so can’t wait to see her again next February. I think she’s probably been more “provocative” at other venues so maybe Birmingham wasn’t the place for her to get sexy as it wasn’t even half full. If I had been at the front I would have goaded her to get writhing on the floor Anna lol
  • Saw John Grant at the Brixton Academy on Tuesday night. We were there almost exactly 1 year ago for the last night of the Silver Eye tour. Pete Hall was there, as were Mark and Jayne, all as they were that night in 2017.
    John was fabulous. Energetic, stomping, engaging. His lyrics are honest and uncompromising ( as in the song Smug Cunt) and Glacier is so poignant for the political times we are currently in it is uncanny.
    Here's a link to some photos I took and there are two videos in the usual place for those who know where to look. https://flic.kr/s/aHskHfNExD
    Tomorrow night is Woman to Woman with Beverly Craven, Julia Fordham and Judie Tzuke.
    Then Sunday, old mate Toyah at the Islington Academy. 60 this year and 40 years in the business so expecting something epic.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-11-02 13:36:58
  • iuventus said:

But I hear he's got his mother's hips.

'And now he's going down town and he's smacking his lips!'
  • I've just booked to go to 2 Muse gigs next year. One at the London Stadium in Stratford in June, which I have been told is a very good venue for a stadium, and another in July at the Matmut Atlantique in Bordeaux, France (providing we are allowed in Europe post Brexit!
  • So, next Wednesday, we have The Human League at Cambridge Corn Exchange.
    Then next Sunday, what is currently the last gig of the year we have booked. It's a very special gig in that we, or should I say, the good Lady Mrs UT, is the promoter. She's paid for the artiste and we are running it as a free gig for friends. Special occasion and I will tell all later in the week. It is an artiste that has been on TOTP's a dozen or so times.
    As for next year, we already have two Muse gigs booked, a Mari Wilson gig on Valentine's Day and K T Tunstall, plus an evening with Dame Diana Rigg. And it's still November the year before.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!