Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • Me too PG. It probably cured my arachnophobia as a kid to be honest.
    When we went to Cuba, a few years back, we slept one night in jungle huts. Two other couples had tarantula visitors in theirs (happily we didn't or weren't aware!). The blokes whacked theirs with a heavy book, while the girls (they were gay couples, obviously!) bravely collected theirs and took it outside. 
    Had we had a hairy visitor then I can picture the scenario -  Catherine would've been clinging to the light fitting while I would have been having a panic attack but determindely scooping it up in a lunchbox. Crikes.
  • I think that Eek!s may have been eaten. Baby-eek! too. I haven't seen any of them in four nights.

You know, Charlotte was a barn spider. I once lived in a farm house that had a porch along the front. There were three sections divided by supporting posts. Every evening, three barn spiders would built giant webs, one each between the posts from the top of the balustrade up to the eaves. Every morning, each would disassemble her web strand by strand and eat it as she took it down. Every so often, she would stop and poop out the ingested web. By full sunrise, the webs were gone, and the spiders went hidden somewhere in the woodwork.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I love these spider stories! I try to capture and release too, although I recently discovered a huge wolf spider hiding out in the shower, while I was actually taking a shower, eek! He/she got washed down the drain- that was pretty damn unnerving, haha.

I've always loved banana spiders, or golden silk orb weavers I think they're called. They're big and their webs are just spectacular. I would never want to hold one or run into a web, yikes, but admiring them from a distance is just fascinating.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2018-08-28 20:58:22
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • "Sometimes when somebody loves you, miracles somehow appear." This is true. Supernature.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2018-09-19 08:52:13
    U R I E L
  • Giant Crab Spider; i.e., not Charlotte!

Post edited by iuventus at 2018-09-19 12:44:05
  • @iuv That looks like Charlotte's long lost cousin Bruno. Notice the dark, well developed pedipalps- he's obviously done some time. He's the type that looks like a bruiser, but is actually gay. He cruisin' that spotlight for a reason honey, and it ain't for no flies.
    U R I E L
  • The dark area is its face; namely, its eyes and fangs. The pedipalps are, indeed, huge; though, you can't really see them in the photo.
  • iuventus said:

Giant Crab Spider; i.e., not Charlotte!

no.
  • That's what I said.
  • Here's an idea for these balmy autumn evenings - listen for Tawny Owls.
    The British Trust for Ornitology is doing a survey. All you have to do is spend 20 minutes listening for Tawny Owl calls on any evening between 30th September and 31st March. Then send in a report - whether you heard them or not. You can do it as much as once a week, or as little as once between now and March.

Of course, nowadays, they just make that 'Wooo-hooo' sound. But back in the day, before human persecution wiped out the Boogie Woogie Owl, you'd have something more like this

• A rare picture of the Boogie Woogie Owl - wing feather perfectly adapted for stride piano stylings

Image result for weird owl human mixture
  • U R I E L
  • So much rain... And unseasonable.
  • Are moths Halloween-y?
    Baorisa hieroglyphica (Noctuidae: Pantheinae) | Malaysia ...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!