Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 622 Comments sorted by
  • I wouldn't be encouraging any children of mine to go into the NHS with a 50 foot barge pole. I'm talking about nursing and becoming a doctor. Other areas like radiography, labs, and physiotherapy don't seem to be affected with shit staffing levels and lack of breaks. I feel that strongly against what's going on.

Anyway getting back to gigs- I'm considering going to a summer music festival. Maybe V festival or something. Can't do Glastonbury as it's in term time!
  • I haven't been to an actual gig in years. Last band I ever saw was Coldplay and that was magical.
  • We are big on the NHS in our family Serenity. I did many years in the NHS, as has my Sister and so with Mrs UT. My best friend (Mrs Appy61) has also done nearly 30 years in the NHS. It's a fabulous place to work, very rewarding, just this fucking bunch a Conservative fascists in power want to sell it off to their Billionaire mates just like they have everything else. Until they showed up, I thoroughly enjoyed going to work. Not so much since 2010. They took all the fun out of it and made it all about cutting costs to the point services could no longer be effectively run. Sickening !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I went to the Theatre last night. I went to the Hammersmith Lyric to see the last night of Jubilee, which is based on the 1978 punk film of the same name, written and directed by Derek Jarnan and starring my old pal Toyah Willcox; both in the original film and the new play.
    It's a nihilistic dystopian piece involving a time travelling Queen Victoria 1st, coming forward from her time in the 16th Centuary to the present day, with the help of the spirit Aerial, to see how her kingdom is in the future.
    It's violent, (Aerial is dressed like a Droog from Clockwork Orange) confrontational, full of swearing, full fronted nudity and simulated sex ( the play is done in the round and this was going on just 4 or 5 feet in front of us). It's irreverent, gender fluid and bloody good fun. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    In the break, there was some background music playing quietly and I thought, that sounds like the Sex Pistols God Save the Queen, only done by Pinky and Perky. Well, it's Punky and Porky and here it is. The other side is Pretty Bacon!
  • Shock!
    Horror!
    Actual Goldfrapp related music news!
    I've got tickets to go and see Will Gregory's Moog Ensemble on the 12th May at Jerwood Hall, LSO St Luke's as part of the Soubd and Visions Session 2. First half is Vikingur Olafsson and then the 2nd half is Will's Moog Ensemble. Doors are at 2.00pm. £15 per ticket.
    Anyone else going?
  • So tonight we are out to a Jazz club, the Fleece, to see Barb Jungr. Billed as the love child of Edith Piaf and Nick Cave who was then adopted by Carmen McRea, she interprets Jacque Brel (remember the opening piano and bass line from Jo on TOU) Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan as well as jazz standards.
    Watch this space.
    http://www.barbjungr.co.uk
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-04-27 11:57:15
  • Barb was brilliant last night. Just her, piano and double bass and she did a Setlist that was all Bob Dylan songs. She does a unique arrangement on them and then tells stories between the songs related to them and her experiences. Did you know it was Joan Baez who introduced Dylan to a wider audience in America on one of her tours? She was a big star and at that time, Dylan was much less known. She was dubbed the Queen of Folk and was introduced to Dykan and they began a love affair. She would bring him on stage during her gigs, and he would do some songs and they did duets and his popularity grew. He was much better known in the UK and Europe and Baez was not. He asked her to accompany him on a tour in the there and she thought he would return the favour. Every night, Joan would don her long white dress and stand in the wings with her guitar, and every night, Dylan would leave her standing there. Unsurprisingly, the romance died.
    Bob Dylan. Brilliant song writer and master lyricist but full time arsehole.

https://www.thoughtco.com/bob-dylan-joan-baez-folk-royalty-1322445
  • The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
  • Updated gig list for the year so far
    Mari Wilson at the Pheasentry in London Valentines night - Done
    Jubilee play with Toyah at the Hammersmith Lyric March -Done
    Floyd Effect in Colchester in April - Done
    Barb Jungr Fleece Jazz Stoke by Nayland Essex April - Done
    Will Gregory Moogs in May -Done
    Bill Bailey at Ipswich June - Done
    Side by Side Refugees fund raiser with Mari Wilson, Tanita Tikaram etc - Done
    Muse Drones concert film 12th July (seeing this in Bordeaux) - Done
    ELO at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam - Done
    Caro Emerald, Regent Theatre Ipswich 5th October - Done
    The Floyd Effect, Plume Academy, Maldon, Essex 6th October - Done
    Joan Armatrading in Bury St Edmunds on 8th October (those last three make for a very busy weekend!) - Done
    Shakatak New Wolsley Theatre, Ipswich 14th October - Done
    John Grant Brixton Academy 30th October ( will be keeping an eye out for AG or WG)
    November 3rd Woman to Woman Apex Bury St Edmunds with Beverley Craven, Julia Fordham & Judie Tzuke.
    Toyah Islington Academy 4th November
    Human League at Cambridge Corn Exchange 28th November
    Still 7 months for potential bookings left!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-10-15 05:01:26
  • Today is Will Gregory's Moog Ensemble at St Luke's. Hopefully may catch a few words with Will.
    Wish me luck, I'm going in!
  • In Rock news, Kate Gordon @littlebird and I went to see Muse Drones last night (not together as she's in England and I'm currently in France and saw it in Bordeaux) which is a film of the Drones tour show montage together from 3 or 4 different shows. It was shown across the world at the same time similar to the way Goldfrapp did the 5 films for TOU and the gig from Air Studios.
    It was very good and the cinema where I was was packed. A big cinema as well.
    Time we had a new DVD of Frapp concert footage Alision!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-07-13 05:15:03
  • I've just read that Orbital comes to town... 25 th October. Tempting ;)
  • I've got tix for ELO in Amsterdam ( going old school) and also the Floyd Effect ( fantastic Pink Floyd tribute act), Caro Emerald, Toyah, John Grant and the Human League in the rest of this year plus a very special gig that I cannot say anything about yet with an old friend.
    Will spill the beans in due course.
  • I forgot about Joan Armatrading and the Woman to Woman gig with Beverley Craven and Julia Fordham.
  • Just booked my first gig for 2019. KT Tunstall at the Roundhouse in London in March.
    @caro maple will be so jealous!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!