Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 196 Comments sorted by
  • I've been in a very introspective mood of late.
    I came across this poem written by Leo Marks. He was an English writer and cryptographer. In the 2nd World War, he worked for the Special Operations Executive and came up with the idea of code poems for the encryption of secret messages. On 24th March 1944, the poem was issued to Violette Szarbo, a French agent of the SOE operating in occupied France. She was eventually captured, tortured and killed by the Nazis.

The life that I have
    Is all that I have
    And the life that I have
    Is yours.
    The love that I have
    Of the life that I have
    Is yours and yours and yours.
    A sleep I shall have
    A rest I shall have
    Yet death will be but a pause.
    For the peace of my years
    In the long green grass
    Will be yours and yours and yours.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Does your source give the encrypted message for this verse?

This certainly doesn't help.

Post edited by iuventus at 2017-11-07 20:31:42
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • They originally used well known poems, but the Germans quickly cottoned onto that and could refer to the printed source material to crack the codes. This is an original poem written by Marks which the agent would memorise and then any message sent could be decrypted using this as the code key. As this was an original code key, or ciphervariable, the Germans could not look it up. Until the poem was obtained ( possibly by torture) the code could not be deciphered.
  • I understand, but what's the code?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I have not issued you with a message but, if I do so in the future, you now have the key to decipher it.
  • Tides

Tides move on from day to day to wash away the bits
    That litter shore with dregs and more, but ocean bed permits
    That some will stay and sparkle in the sea
    Scintilla embeds to deep degree
    Glitter of obliqueness covers most
    Directness was reserved for only post

w

• Stay sacred

With benedictions of the summer's eves
    And boon of roaring wind and swirling leaves
    Like grace of lightly falling flakes of snow
    With blessings of the early blooms that grow
    Stay sacred

w

Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-12-01 10:19:05
  • ^ mmm, yes. Sacred as Nature.

I read that Florence Welch is coming out with a book of poetry and lyrics called 'Useless Magic'

“Songs can be incredibly prophetic, like subconscious warnings or messages to myself, but I often don’t know what I’m trying to say till years later,” the first page reads. “Or a prediction comes true and I couldn’t do anything to stop it, so it seems like a kind of useless magic.”

This is the thing. Do you believe you create your own Universe, like draw things to yourself by thought? I often have psychic moments and I wonder if I somehow created it. So many terrible things happen in the world though, no one would consciously create them. I believe the psychic and physics are connected- string theory. There is a subconscious thought running with conscious, but often it is linked to painful memory. Maybe the useless magic is reconciling a painful memory, whereas others who have no sense of their subconscious, act out in the physical world. If everyone could get to the source of their core pain, they wouldn't act out in the physical world- they could reconcile it through self creativity.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • How're you doing, PG?  Are you feeling settled?

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that agnostic is the most accurate view of existence.  We don't know what we don't know.  Of course, there are certain other belief systems that I am terribly fond of, like reincarnation and Gaia and the magnificence (though well hidden, at this time) of mankind.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-12-02 08:32:20
  • Unchained lightning
    Winsome wildness in a woman hidden deep beneath
    A subtle thing of lace and love that woman can bequeath
    Chained below stability with needs so seldom met
    A thunderbolt so rarely seen for balancing duet
    Lost within the roaring tides since dawn of fire and heat
    Await the unchained lightning for the balance to complete

w

Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-12-02 07:26:55
  • How're you doing, PG?  Are you feeling settled?

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that agnostic is the most accurate view of existence.  We don't know what we don't know.  Of course, there are certain other belief systems that I am terribly fond of, like reincarnation and Gaia and the magnificence (though well hidden, at this time) of mankind.

Hmm, I think more comfortable but perhaps not settled. I'll get there. I consider myself Gnostic, because there are some things I just know...how is a mystery, but it doesn't scare me anymore. I did die twice in childhood and was brought back, I believe that's a part of it. I think coming back opens up the unused parts of the brain making one much more sensitive and empathic- it's the only way to describe it. God is simply love in my book, that's where most religions get it wrong..and they will be shown. Will they be shown by coming back on the other side of what they did? There are certain universal natural laws which many have no grasp of. I know certain things
    U R I E L
  • The one concept that really drives me nuts is the idea that we need to wait until we die to have a good time??!!?!  If you think about it in those terms, I think it clarifies things and determines where the main problem concerning revealing our magnificence resides.

You realize that Gnostic and agnostic are radically different concepts, right?  And, actually, my version of agnostic is not a really accurate use of the word, either.  It is closer to the thought that anything is possible with a strict requirement that I don't buy it until proven to me personally.  This is wildly different than the thought process of skepticism (or atheism) which is closer to the bovine belief that it's not possible until it is proven.  That's just dumber than a bag of hammers.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-12-02 09:34:16
  • You're missing the mark of what I'm saying WW. Most organized religion is simply the patriarch trying to control society, it has nothing to do with God and love but simply a love of control. That's why 'having a good time' is frowned upon.. this is the work of man's hand- not God. Being Gnostic means knowing. It's not learned, it's inherent. We are born into a world which wishes to make us slaves- slaves to the corporations which act as government, slaves to the invented concept of money, slaves to false gods..it's all the ego of men and control. It is not God and to know this is to be free of the brainwashing
    U R I E L
  • Ah, yes, the difference between religious and spiritual or those who want leaders and those who want leadership.  I truly don't believe we are born into an existence that wishes to make us slaves.  We are born into a very specific set of circumstances that has driven men to lose all self-respect and self-confidence and become deceitful.  Boasting and pompousness to cover an inferiority complex.  The more ruthless and sociopathic, the more they are under the spell of the own lack of self-confidence, self-respect, and honesty.

Just to make sure we understand each other, the use of religion by the ruthless does not automatically abnegate the spiritual component.  I think we are on the same page here.

I see. The mystic knowledge definition rather than the cult definition.  I'm not sure what knowledge you consider inherent, though.

Have you ever considered the the similarities between social networks and the tower of babble?  Also, a breeding ground for deceitful behaviours.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-12-03 08:50:04
  • (Happy hearts, flowers and angel with deadly bow and arrow day)

Rumi. Like This

If anyone asks you
    how the perfect satisfaction
    of all our sexual wanting
    will look, lift your face
    and say,

Like this.

When someone mentions the gracefulness
    of the nightsky, climb up on the roof
    and dance and say,

Like this.

If anyone wants to know what "spirit" is,
    or what "God’s fragrance" means,
    lean your head toward him or her.
    Keep your face there close.

Like this.

When someone quotes the old poetic image
    about clouds gradually uncovering the moon,
    slowly loosen knot by knot the strings
    of your robe.

Like this.

If anyone wonders how Jesus raised the dead,
    don’t try to explain the miracle.
    Kiss me on the lips.

Like this. Like this.

When someone asks what it means
    to "die for love," point
    here.

If someone asks how tall I am, frown
    and measure with your fingers the space
    between the creases on your forehead.

This tall.

The soul sometimes leaves the body, then returns.
    When someone doesn’t believe that,
    walk back into my house.

Like this.

When lovers moan,
    they’re telling our story.

Like this.

I am a sky where spirits live.
    Stare into this deepening blue,
    while the breeze says a secret.

Like this.

When someone asks what there is to do,
    light the candle in his hand.

Like this.

How did Joseph’s scent come to Jacob?

Huuuuu.

How did Jacob’s sight return?

Huuuu.

A little wind cleans the eyes.

Like this.

When Shams comes back from Tabriz,
    he’ll put just his head around the edge
    of the door to surprise us

Like this.

( there are subtle variations of translation of this, I just picked the first)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2018-02-14 15:36:22
    U R I E L

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!