Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • Iuventus- are you a teacher?

Well teaching is akin to nursing. A big massive shit storm. Now i see they are trying to draft in 'apprentice' nurses. That's right folks. Coz the nurses abroad dont want to touch England with a 50 foot barge pole. Not for all the tea in China.
  • Was.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Oh dear. Are you working now or retired?
  • Quit. The grown-ups were unbearable.
  • The kids are shits. Their parents bigger shits. Glad I had the firm made insolvent.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Hmm...well not all parents are shits. Depends where you work I suppose. But when working in Education or Nursing where unfortunately you've got to face mouthy people of all descriptions then yes its a nightmare.

And people are getting far more mouthier as the years go on. Not much respect for professionals.
  • Mouthier?! Yep, I wouldn't say boo to a goose ten years ago and now I'm a twisted windbag who can't keep her mouth shut lol. I know you weren't referring to me tho!
    Are you in work now Serenity? I can't remember...
    are you saying UT that is was You Whodunnits? Stuck the knife in the NHS?!
  • No I'm not in work at the moment. My last job role finished in July and couldn't be extended. Well the school lied to me about the potential of going permanent. I was drafted in to cover someone's maternity leave.

It's a bloody nightmare out there. Had an interview the other day and there were 7 of us. 3 of us didn't get through to interview. I was one of them. To get to the school would gave taken up to 2 hours on public transport.

I have my driving license- just need a car and a full time job.

Gonna keep going but its a real joke I tell thee. I'm looking at other jobs now because they are making the interviews far harder than necessary with lesson obs and teaching tasks.

I am NOT a bloody teacher. So stop making us act like one!!

Rant over. (For now). Everyday is becoming a struggle. There's a vacancy at a school nearby so im hoping I get called for an interview. Waiting on a few applications.

No Kat. I'm referring to people in general. Not you.
  • I'm ranting, 'cause one Goldfrapp gig isn't enough :P
  • Perhaps time to break a secret. I have now left the NHS after 35 years and 2 1/2 months employment. My Trust and another were told to merge and obviously some people had to make way. At my age and length of service, redundancy would have been brilliant but I thought it highly unlikely as I would cost to much to get rid of but then they surprised me and a mate with 19 years in and offered us redundancy. We both took it; me to go on early retirement, him into a job in a local school helping to look after their estate needs until he can also take his pension.
    I am now a man of leisure but I am sad to leave the NHS as I really believe in it but it is not the service it was as the Tories are running it into the ground. My first 25 years were fantastic times but it has slowly been getting harder and harder to do the job the way it should be done and we were constantly being asked to generate savings. The only way we could continue giving CIPS ( cost improvement plans) as they called them was to stop doing certain works.
    I got tired of it in the end and was glad to step back. Let the younger lads have their time and see if they can make a go of it but they will struggle!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-10-22 18:38:15
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • UT- so do you have a medical background? What kind of work did you do at the hospital? Haha i have a love hate relationship with estates. I spent have my life ranting and raving down the phone about broken monitors, cupboards, oxygen canisters that wouldn't work. Basically everything.

When i phoned them on switchboard I could here them muttering "it's that bloody nurse again from ward D4." =))

• And programmes like Holby City piss me right off. Nurses standing around the nurses station gossiping. Or sitting in their offices drinking wine?! Eh.

My word- my ass barely touched a chair in sight. It's a wonder i had any feet left. Could barely walk through the door when i got home. I was in agony. Had to put feet into bucket of ice. I'm really not exaggerating here. And i kept a packet of ibuprofen on me at all times as i would get blinding headaches.

Prison would have been more fun.
  • Kat is a firestarter. A twisted firestarter. >:)
  • The kids are shits. Their parents bigger shits. Glad I had the firm made insolvent.

I can handle parents for the most part. Combative staff and weak administration make it Hell. I'm in one of the nation's lowest rated states for education, and I worked in some of the most difficult schools in this area. I could rant for pages listing the real reasons for this failure, but no one would listen. They continue to blame teachers, hire more paper shufflers, and bombard the students with irrelevant testing. I've witnessed bullying of students, teachers, and site administration by students, teachers, and administration. Students repeat what they see on a daily basis. We've lost one superintendent after another. The school board is comprised of people with no experience in education, whose motives are political & self serving, and who act on personal grudges against each other. Racism on all sides is rampant. It's a madhouse. I loved exposing brilliant young minds to literature, and I was good at it. But I'm also sensitive and I'd go home exhausted and heartbroken nearly every day. Overall, the culture of education in America is broken.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2017-10-22 19:42:20
  • Crikey, I have opened a can of wrigglies, but as we are all being emotionally honest then that's a good thing- good to get it off our own chests and share the sympathy. Hugs anyone?! Iuv- our experiences and insights are probably nearly identical- how depressing that it's both sides of the pond.
    Serenity- I am shocked to hear that TA interviews now involve a teaching task. Thus proving that They are using TAs to take lessons. Initially this was dressed up as a compensatory measure to cope with teacher shortage / absences, but we all knew it was a cost cutting measure to undermine teachers and exploit TAs...not to mention fail children ( no disrespect to TAs there). No wonder parents are losing respect for the school system and when they do, the kids do with disastrous consequences. But somebody voted the tories in.......
    UT- you were lucky I guess to be offered redundancy. I hope you're enjoying your early retirement now...any dabbling with Lisa's paintbrushes?!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!