Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 143 Comments sorted by
  • Thats hilarious....but please don't stick it on a shelf in a nursery. We don't want the little ones getting nightmares...
  • For the second time, I'm reading The Glass Books Of The Dream Eaters by GW Dahlquist. I have bought the sequel, The Dark Volume to follow on with. That's a total of about 1500 pages of excruciatingly small print. I got reading glasses a couple of years ago but don't use them, struggling on without as I found that my eyesight was worsening after using them! Anyway, the book ( may have mentioned it before?) is a Steampunkish Gothic romp, rather surreal. Fab Autumn evening reading.
  • I'm currently reading 'Carter Beats the Devil' by Glen David Gold which is a fictional biography of Edwardian era American stage magician Charles Joseph Carter. Unusual and a hoot (so far).
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Chapterhouse: Dune.  All about Bene Gesserit witches.  Brilliant insights scattered here and there.
  • Sounds interesting WW- who were the BG witches?
  • It's part of the Dune Series by Frank Herbert, the most successful SciFi novels ever.  Chapterhouse: Dune is the last book in the series and concentrates on the BG witches and there mad foes.  Calling them witches may be misleading.  This is set off in the very distant future when mankind has expanded throughout the universe.  The Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers (often called witches) have attempted to guide humanity into maturity.  The portrayal of the Bene Gesserit and their organization is just very thought-provoking.  They are an extremely disciplined, wise group of women that try to lead the human race to a better place.  They also try to breed the human race to a better place by engaging breeding certain gene traits in themselves by choosing  their cohorts  carefully.  It's may be a stretch for anyone that doesn't enjoy thought-provoking science fiction.  It also may be a challenge jumping in on the last book of the series but I think it can stand alone.
  • Thanks for that. Might give that series a try, I like a bit of sci-if from time to time.
  • Alias Grace and The Handmaids Take by Margaret Attwood. Stellar reading. x
  • Dune is about as good at it gets for SciFi.  Re-readable.
  • Have you read War of the World's by H G Wells Whickwithy? Science fiction from before the term had even been conceptionalised and retread able again and again.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • As I get further into Chapterhouse: Dune it, once again, is blowing my mind.  It is, by far, the most thought-provoking book I have ever read.
  • Currently reading The H.P. Lovecraft Collection, among other books.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I just started reading Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and War & Peace.  I'm glad I did.  He's a really good writer.  That ought to keep me busy for awhile...

The best book I've read lately was Patti Smith's Just Kids.  Very baffling.  She is so very plain spoken and, yet, the book was a real joy to read.  Something about the way she writes and what she writes about is fascinating to me.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-12-12 08:02:46
  • We should start a literature thread OR re-establish a previous one.

The French Lieutenant
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Mrs Dalloway
    The Bell Jar

Whickwithy- I challenge you to take on the works of Virginia Woolf. Her stuff is quite difficult to read in a symbolic sense. She has a very distinctive narrative style and structure that is complicated. Rather selectively complicated to add to the incohesion of thoughts.

I also found Woolfs personal life to be intriguing. A tortured soul just like Sylvia Plath.

When i went to Cambridge two years ago, i was instantly transported back to the world of Sylvia Plath. It's such a breath-taking place like no other.

Have you read all of Shakespeare's plays Whicky?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!