Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 143 Comments sorted by
  • Well I owe you a ( virtual) Ayrton for that :>
  • Ohhh, that's a very good one, Kat.  And, I'm struggling.

Errr, I'm stuck between a fiver, a farmstead, and a compliment.  I'll zero in and guess fiver (or tenner?).  Owing me a farmstead would be a bit over the top (but, thank you, anyways) and the compliment is a bit of a reach, really.
  • Yup, Ayrton Senna-Tenner. Well done. I don't understand your other lines of thinking but that's ok.
  • You can have a compliment any time you devilishly handsome, wise, young stud ( with excellent taste in music).
    Oops, I love have that tenner back now!
  • A recent favourite slang term I came across was Flying Horse for Anal Sex.
    You may be aware we have long running soap opera in the UK called Coronation Street. In it, the local pub is called The Rovers Return. However, if the Rovers is closed due to some disaster, or you are persona non grata or barred, characters frequent the alternative hostilery, the Flying Horse. As the Profanisaurus describes it:
    Ken. Hey Dierdrie ( Ken's wife), fancy a quickie?
    Dierdrie. Sorry Ken, I'm up on blocks at the moment. If we do, it will have to be the Flying Horse!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • KatRobin said:

You can have a compliment any time you devilishly handsome, wise, young stud ( with excellent taste in music).
    Oops, I love have that tenner back now!

Hahaha!  Cute.

The other guesses were other uses that seemed to come up when searching around the web.
  • Robert Sapolsky's "A Primate's Memoir".

It's an account of his time working as a researcher into baboons in Kenya. It's great where most such books are poor - he is manages to be equally respectful about baboons and people and yet really funny about them too. Some fascinating science, adventure, and real emotion. And funny - did I say that already?

Here's a sample:

"According to the textbooks...baboons had organised hunts, a hierarchical rank structure, and at their core was the alpha male. He led the troop to food, spearheaded the hunts, defended against predators, kept the females in line, changed the lightbulbs, fixed the car....Just like our human ancestors the textbooks ached to say and sometimes did. Most of that turned out to be wrong. The hunts for food were disorganised free-for-alls, the alpha male couldn't lead the troop to food as he didn't know where to go [male baboons move between troops so they don't know much about local resources] . When predators attacked, male baboons only defended infants when they were sure the infant was theirs - otherwise he would take the highest, safest spot in the tree to watch the action..."

HIghly recommended! 
  • I wonder if that's the guy that studied a group of baboons that had lost all of their alpha males, found it worked very well without them, and did not tolerate alpha males ever again?
  • ^it's not in the book, ww, but it could be him - he's been working in the field for ages, speciaising in looking at what causes stress in primate groups
  • I loved the story.  The Alpha males being the arrogant, dominant jerks that they tend to be went into a trash pile and ate all of the tainted meat.  Whoops!  They all died and the tribe missed them so little that they drove away any other overbearing @##hole alpha males that attempted to join the tribe.  Basically, once the alpha males were gone, the rest of the tribe looked around and said, "this is good!".
  • Sarah Blaffer Hrdy studied langur monkeys in India. Langurs live in troops consisting of females and young, and a single dominant male - who fathers all the troop's children.

Every two years or so, a new alpha male is 'elected'.

On taking power, he systematically kills all the baby langurs in the troop who are still nursing. This brings their mothers into ovulation. The mothers then solicit him, and he mates with them all, thus ensuring that the new generation of babies are all his. However, the overall result of this regular infanticide is that a third of all langur babies die before adulthood at the hands of new leaders. The attrition rate is so brutal that some troops die out completely as a result

Hrdy said - surely this is not good for the species as a whole? Why don't the females get bigger, so they can protect their children from a murderous new leader? And why do they solicit the male once they are bereaved? Surely they should reject these males so as to promote a  gentler, more nurturing male?

It turned out that it takes too long for a female to grow big enough to challenge a male, delaying the age at which she can breed. Overall, big females end up producing fewer babies than small ones.

And females who resisted matings by the murderous male got undermined by females who solicited - again, resistant females ended up producing fewer babies than females who conceded to the bully.

Make of that what you will.      
  • So interesting Whisper. I'm surprised the species survives at all. Sounds like the males are stopping bloodlines..ending future competition maybe? The females need better defense strategy, :(|)
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • ^ yes, PG, this is from Sarah Blaffer-Hrdy's book, "Mother Nature". SBH  is one of the giants of primatology and has looked especially at how different forms of female behaviour and child-rearing practices affect social organisation and evolution.

To me, one of the most interesting things about the langur case is what it might say about organising a primate society around aggressive "alpha males". It doesn't look like the best, does it?! Troop extinction is always just around the corner. And yet, once you are in it, it can be hard to break out.

• The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  Very weird.

Vita Sackville-baggins west's Sissinghurst.  If you are into gardens.  I'm way into gardens.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!