Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 94 Comments sorted by
  • That Limehouse Golum films looks like my cup of tea, with a Sherlock Holmes vibe.
  • Ha!  Nanny McPhee.  Exactly what I felt on Stranger than Fiction.  Altogether, the plot was pretty interesting but, they didn't pull it all together.  Pretty good ending, though.  And, the whole watch twist was cool.  Like I always say, I just love speculative fiction that makes you think, bends the brain.

"Hero" was pretty good.  I can't say I like a lot of Dustin Hoffman either, but he really is a pretty good character actor.

It took me awhile to see the connection with Mary Poppins.  Yah, I see your point and agree.

Did you ever see Tom Hanks original TV show that got him started.  It's really pretty shocking to me that he went from that to such a successful actor.  That's a bit of a turn to best actor.  You mean 21st Century?  I'd have to think about that one for awhile but, again, Karl Urban would be right up there for me. 

I am so very unhappy with the way things are going on this planet right now, and I'm not just talking climate,  that I can't even think about something like geo-storm.  It's like the human races lunacy is reaching an all-time high and it is disturbing because our weaponry is reaching all-time lethality.
  • Have you seen Tracey Ullman's impression of Dame Judi- brilliant. Have a look on YouTube.
  • New film alert: Geostorm (To be released on October 2017)

After an unprecedented series of natural disasters threatened the planet, the world's leaders came together to create an intricate network of satellites to control the global climate and keep everyone safe. But now, something has gone wrong: the system built to protect Earth is attacking it, and it becomes a race against the clock to uncover the real threat before a worldwide geostorm wipes out everything and everyone along with it.

The really frightening thing is that this is what is happening now in real life, only our world leaders are actually working together to make it worse.....
  • Hi Kat- yes I have seen it. Tracey Ullman is very talented. Even her impression of Angela Merkel had me crying the other day.
    She also does an impression of Maggie Smith and Camilla Patker-Bowles (not that im a fan of Camilla or Charles).
  • That Limehouse Golum films looks like my cup of tea, with a Sherlock Holmes vibe.

The Golem is a Jewish conceit is it not? A revenge monster moulded in clay in humanoid form and given life by a Rabbi and controlled by writing a Prayer from the Torah on a piece of paper, along with your name and placing this in the Golem's mouth. This gives you control.
    Donald Trump is a Golem, released by the ultra right wing American voters.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • You learn something every day on this forum! I think I was working with one up til recently.
  • Since you seem to like Jude Law, Serenity, you might like My Blueberry Nights" with Jude Law and Norah Jones.  It's kinda dark  and bluesy I guess.  And, as I've already described I really like it when an actor can be someone that one doesn't recognize.  There's a pretty famous actress in this movie that does a great job of that.  Pretty cool, really.  Definitely not in the ultimate film of all time category, though, for me.  I'm not that into the dark.
  • Its look like my kind of chick flick til.

It's got Natalie Portman and Rachel Weisz in it too so should be a pretty good film. And of course Mr Jude Law. Swoon! I haven't heard much about him lately. He kept messing around with Sienna Miller didn't he?

I reckon he will always be a player though.
  • Haha! I haven't a clue about Jude Law's personal life but I think I just finished a film not too long ago about King Arthur.  I think he plays the bad guy.  So, Jude Law is a player, aye?  I guess I wouldn't have guessed that but, hey, I'm way naive.  Let me know what you think if you watch Blueberry Nights.

I'm about half-way through Educating Rita, right now.  Interesting and insightful.  I just wish I knew more about English accents.  I'm guessing that a lot about English movies is about the accents.  Like they give you a clue about a person in a heartbeat.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-08-29 17:50:40
  • I liked Educating Rita alot, Serenity.  I gotta say I wasn't expecting that.  So many lessons learned.  I like the way it starts with a reference to Blake.  Gosh, but I love double entendres.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-08-29 20:08:01
  • Whickwithy- you sound surprised about English guys and men in general. They are all a bunch of tosspots that I haven't got time for. Full of self importance with little wit and intelligence to match.

As far as English accents go, it really us quite a phenomenom. There are many linguistic studies on the British accent and the mitphonology and phonology behind it all. The most complicated of accents is probably the black country accent. This is the areas of Dudley, Rowley Regis and Wolverhampton.

In fact if you do a Google search it us a very interesting place with a living museum in the area!! I've been there a few times. I am not from round there but I live in the West Midlands myself. I am fond if the London accent and have had a gi impersonating it but was told i sounded Australian!!

Educating Rita- don't you just love the dynamic alliance of Julie Walters and Michael Caine.

Julie Walters is from the black country too!! S A very successfully acclaimed actress who worked alongside comedienne Victoria Wood! Julie us such a humble and lovely person both on and off screen like a mother figure.
  • Ive just watched Educating Rita. I really need to start reading again. Rita inspires me and i can think of nodoby better to play her part than Julie Walters. She is such an integral character. The ending is so sad that i had tears in my eyes. I love how Rita and both Frank evolve.

Denny is a reflection of the modern man trying to suppress the rights of women to having an education and practically trying to tie Rita to the kitchen sink. Good on her for having to balls to leave him. I wish there was a follow up film and thAt Frank reunites with Rita.

Date i say this but i think he falls in love with her?
  • Whickwithy- you sound surprised about English guys and men in general. They are all a bunch of tosspots that I haven't got time for. Full of self importance with little wit and intelligence to match.  Not surprised at all.  You've mentioned that before.  Tosspot seems as good a description as any.

As far as English accents go, it really us quite a phenomenon ... the black country accent.  Love stuff like that.  "Blartin" = "Crying", "Babbie" = "Baby".  Love it.  Is that the accent that Julie Walters used?  "My Fair Lady" has the most intriguing linguistic twist to it.

In fact if you do a Google search it us a very interesting place with a living museum in the area!! I've been there a few times. I am not from round there but I live in the West Midlands myself. I am fond if the London accent and have had a gi impersonating it but was told i sounded Australian!!  Sounds like fun!  Too bad, but I don't think I'll ever be back in England, again.

Educating Rita- don't you just love the dynamic alliance of Julie Walters and Michael Caine.  The more I think about that movie the more complex the story becomes.  Just fascinating really.  A young woman seeking to better herself, and old jaded guy (most old guys get that way) that has all of the knowledge and considers it crap - and they both learn alot.  It is so much more complex than even that, though.  I just hope that, in his jadedness, he still appreciated Blake.  Blake was crazy as can be but he was very, very real.  Not many can say that.

Julie Walters is from the black country too!!  Julie us such a humble and lovely person both on and off screen like a mother figure.  Ive just watched Educating Rita.  I had never encountered Julie Walters before this.  She did a great job.  Yes, they both evolved and all due to Rita.  Hmmm, yes, sad, I guess, though, like you say below, a sequel would have been nice.  I'm sure they would end up great friends and what else could really be expected, considering the age difference.

Denny is a reflection of the modern man ... I wish there was a follow up film and that Frank reunites with Rita.  Denny is a dick or, tosspot, if you like.  That's not new.  It has been that way throughout the ages.

Dare i say this but i think he falls in love with her?  I think it is more than clear that he fell for her completely.  What could he really expect, though?  His bones were starting to creak and she what just about to reach the peak of her life.

I will have to watch it, again.  That sequel where they become fast friends would be brilliant.
  • I think they would have made a great couple!! Age should never be a problem. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but they totally get each other. It's like the Jane to Mr Rochester. The Cathy to the Heathcliffe.

Ahh yes Tosspot. Don't get me started on it.

In the film Julie was talking in the Scouse Liverpudlian accent. And she works it really well. Denny irritates the living shit of me, as does her dad. Her mom looks bored rigid.

I was reading that after the film was released, fans would up to Julie to tell her that they left their boyfriends and husbands to go to university. To get an education.

And it still resonates today.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!