Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • Absolutely! It's a bummer to have seen many of my favorite acts' forums fade away over the years.

There's a few fan forums for Erasure (I belong to the main English-speaking one), but the official forum imploded almost a decade ago due to infighting. I was away when it happened (was a mod there and a few more), and coming back was like seeing your house had burned down. Still makes me sad to think of it. Personally, I think the time is right for a return of it, but it's not in my hands.

Well said, again, TS.  It's a shame the pamphlets have so much damned momentum.  I could have fun attempting to envision Goldfrapp's church in a quiet meadow ... made out of stone...

Hmm, stone slabs? Sure if I came to worship I wouldn't end up sacrificed?

• Twitter and Facebook are rooted in the here and now. The forum is like an altar.
    The forum is where we come to worship. Social Media outlets is where we go for piss and wind. You always need somewhere for piss and wind, but not in church ( well, NSFW and several other threads aside).
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I like old-school and good old fashioned discussion. I mean really, how well do you get to know someone by them trying to be an Instagram star, etc. Surface. Look at me, look at me, look at me..well there's more to see than that. The message board is a step away from that kind of narcissism. I think it's gone a little quiet because it's Goldfrapp's time/turn to talk. With the release of new music and art, there are ideas behind it and meaning. Yes, there are interviews..but get deeper. Don't stop now. With artists I adore, I like to study them. Like with a favorite painting, I want to get close enough to see the blend of color..the brush strokes. I think that's why we even persist with the format of message-board.
    It's not just a little hashtag or selfie, it makes you think-

(Because in fact, Art is nothing but portrayal and meaning and brings us closer to ourselves)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-05-30 17:18:08
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Twitter and Facebook are founded on affirmation of your input. This is either by followers, retweets and likes. Of those who use those two mediums, who does not like their input to be liked, retweeted or gather more followers? I believe before my time on here that this very forum had a 'like' capability? This is now dropped and the forum is the better for it. If you like what someone writes, there is no simple, meaningless 'like' button. You have to actually articulate yourself and say so in a reply. On T and FB, it's so easy to retweet or like another's input, but this is usually with views and opinions that mostly mirror your own.
    Interestingly, there is no dislike button. You actually have to enter into discourse again to challenge an opinion you disagree with, running the risk of the person coming back at you.
    A dislike button would really jazz T and FB up in my opinion.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^ Haha, I like it..a dislike button! Isn't the whole thing so juvenile though? What, are we in grade school? Along with the dislike button, we need a 'Narcissist' tag option. I have female friends who require me to do Instagram 'photo shoots' for them whenever I see them. Ugh, I'm over this whole selfish, deluded culture. We need different themes other than vanity, popularity..buy what I'm selling bullshit. Capitalism has spawned the art of selling oneself to the world. At least Alison is putting art back into this clueless selfie culture.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Sure there's a like/dislike button.  It's on the left-hand side of each post.  It's totally useless and mucks things up if you tick it but, oh yeah, it's got one.  Par for the course.
  • The word limit on Twitter ( and I assume Fartbook?) are there to shut people up who have nothing interesting to say- bit like the old music hall crooked cane lol!
  • I too feel like the publicity for SE has been a bit, well, thin. Maybe if I lived in a metropolis I'd be seeing screaming billboards and music magazines on every corner. Out here in the sticks it's not the same. And have I missed something? Have any more UK dates for Summer / Autumn been announced yet? Not festival dates, just Goldfrapp? I may be unemployed now but I've been saving my pennies in my wee piggy bank! :@)
  • For me it was/is kinda strange with this album to be honest.
    The whole hype leading up to it was great for sure, but after it was released i kinda left it and didn't listen to it.
    Only to come back to it now ..  can't explain it really.
  • I've been consistently listening to 'Anymore' & 'Faux', but the others i've not really listened to in a while.
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • I keep coming back to Zodiac Black & Moon In Your Mouth. (And of course Ocean/Systemagic/BTO still play in the car)
  • I find it bizarre that people are picking single tracks, like picking the choccy buttons off the top of the cake! I'm still gorging on the whole lardy thing, yum yum,
  • GF twitter account posted news is coming of tour dates, and Mute retweeted. My nights are filling up fast. Hope there's room for more gigs.
  • Yay!!!!
  • KatRobin said:

I find it bizarre that people are picking single tracks, like picking the choccy buttons off the top of the cake! I'm still gorging on the whole lardy thing, yum yum,

Listening to the whole album all-in-one each time I wanna listen to it would get old real fast.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!