Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • I don't think it's a worry.  I think it is more of a statement about this site.  It hasn't been the same since, well, it became this site.

Well, messageboards in general seem a bit moribund to the social media crowd if they were raised on the latter alone.

I do assume there's more Silver Eye "signs of life" on Facebook, but that's not always so visible to all.
  • I think it's because people are secretly a little underwhelmed with the album.  For me it's one of those ones that while I listen to it and appreciate the production, I wouldn't necessarily forward it to someone as an example of Goldfrapp's finest.
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • It's OK. Not crap , which is good, but OK. Thing is, it's a bit like drinking Cava after drinking Champagne, or eating a beef burger after a fine steak. You won't starve, but you yearn for the steak again.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Again, I really do think some of this is folks feeling that since they didn't take another left turn this time, that they are resting on their laurels or "playing it safe". I like SE for what it is.
  • What would you class as a left turn, TS?
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • In my opinion this is one of the biggest left turns they've ever made. They've completely removed their sweeping string soundtracks and their intense poppy-ness. Songs like "Become the One" and "Zodiac Black" would never have made it onto past albums.
    Post edited by Low at 2019-11-11 12:17:51

• Low said:

why does it seem like promo's kind of dead altogether? this is Goldfrapp's most marketable and modern work since Supernature and yet... silence so quickly :(

It does feel like it's died down a bit hasn't it? The fan reaction to the album seemed really reserved and short-lived as well, especially on here.

well, in general, most people don't use forums anymore (at all) versus facebook, twitter, etc. so that part doesn't surprise me in the slightest. i mean more in terms of actual promotion of the record from the label/band/radio/etc.
  • Gaelen said:

What would you class as a left turn, TS?

Low said:

In my opinion this is one of the biggest left turns they've ever made. They've completes removed their sweeping string soundtracks and their intense poppy-ness. Songs like "Become the One" and "Zodiac Black" would ever have made it onto past albums.

See, I see this album as being a less-poppy and darker synthpop album. Despite that not being the genre they debuted with, it's one they return to again and again in different fashion, just not quite to this depth. Orchestration and more earthier sounds, are the left turn than some who approach GF via their Mute labelmates have trouble accepting.

I don't. I actually love the road Will and Alison has taken us down. To me, Silver Eye is the road winding through a more modern metropolis than rural landscape.
  • To me, Silver Eye is the road winding through a more modern metropolis than rural landscape.

It's Lovecraft in a musical nutshell. And I love this craft.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • well, in general, most people don't use forums anymore (at all) versus facebook, twitter, etc. so that part doesn't surprise me in the slightest. i mean more in terms of actual promotion of the record from the label/band/radio/etc.

This forum is not Facebook or Twitter. It has themes and more in depth discussion and sustained opinions than is possible on the other two. I don't do Farcebook, as it for girls ( X just had a large fart. Y liked that). Twitter enables you to stalk celebrities and make pithy comments and post the odd funny pic but it is not a substitute for here where people gather with a common bond for discussion ( and pithy comment, odd funny pic etc
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-05-29 05:13:15
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • well, in general, most people don't use forums anymore (at all) versus facebook, twitter, etc. so that part doesn't surprise me in the slightest. i mean more in terms of actual promotion of the record from the label/band/radio/etc.

This forum is not Facebook or Twitter. It has themes and more in depth discussion and sustained opinions than is possible on the other two. I don't do Farcebook, as it for girls ( X just had a large fart. Y liked that). Twitter enables you to stalk celebrities and make pithy comments and post the odd funny pic but it is not a substitute for here where people gather with a common bond for discussion ( and pithy comment, odd funny pic etc

I agree, and nothing I said was meant to diminish forums in general (which, unless I'm misreading, it seems like that's the sentiment you're reacting to). What you can't really deny in 2017 is that this type of avenue - a specific, fan-devoted forum/message board - has been on the decline in terms of user counts and importance among fanbases for quite a few years now. Obviously, we all keep coming back for the reasons you mention, but the general trend is that folks have stopped using forums, and are using other forms of social media. Whether they replace the function of the forums or not is another story.
  • Gaelen said:

See, I see this album as being a less-poppy and darker synthpop album. Despite that not being the genre they debuted with, it's one they return to again and again in different fashion, just not quite to this depth. Orchestration and more earthier sounds, are the left turn than some who approach GF via their Mute labelmates have trouble accepting.

I don't. I actually love the road Will and Alison has taken us down. To me, Silver Eye is the road winding through a more modern metropolis than rural landscape.

Well said, TS!

I just have to add, once again, my disdain for this new messageboard.  Now, it is making the quote I quoted look like it was from someone other than TinSoldier.  Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!  It's no wonder the participation and number of active participants dropped like a stone when this site replaced the previous.  I don't think it has any to do with less use of social media.  I has to do with incompetent sites.  There's only one that I have ever encountered that was really conducive to an in-depth conversation.   It really is remarkable.  Sad to say, it is wasted on sports.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-05-29 18:05:24
  • There's an implied impermanence to social media. Good luck trying to find stuff posted to a Twitter or Facebook group a few years ago. Really, you can hire someone to scroll and still not find what it was you thought you remembered seeing.

Forums will always have this over social media. Plus, an official forum is akin to a church for the artist - a place for like-minded people to come with those specific ideas in mind. That's a sharp contrast to being on your phone and seeing someone say something pertaining to Goldfrapp while you were looking for pictures of sexy women playing synths.

Alright, I may have made that a little too personal, but you get my meaning. This is the church; social media is a pamphlet under the door.
  • There's an implied impermanence to social media. Good luck trying to find stuff posted to a Twitter or Facebook group a few years ago. Really, you can hire someone to scroll and still not find what it was you thought you remembered seeing.

Forums will always have this over social media. Plus, an official forum is akin to a church for the artist - a place for like-minded people to come with those specific ideas in mind. That's a sharp contrast to being on your phone and seeing someone say something pertaining to Goldfrapp while you were looking for pictures of sexy women playing synths.

Alright, I may have made that a little too personal, but you get my meaning. This is the church; social media is a pamphlet under the door.

Absolutely! It's a bummer to have seen many of my favorite acts' forums fade away over the years.
  • Well said, again, TS.  It's a shame the pamphlets have so much damned momentum.  I could have fun attempting to envision Goldfrapp's church in a quiet meadow ... made out of stone...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!