Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • all i can say is that the next single should definitely be "everything is never enough" with a great video featuring alison heavily!
  • Anyone else absolutely loving Anymore now?  I can see why it was the first single, it has something about it that has more substance than Systemagic.  Real grinder of a song IMO.
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • I agree Gaelen. It's got that dirty Twist thing going on hasn't it? I'm still trying to discern those " squelchy synths" some critic mentioned. I can hear slippery, crispy, tingly, bubbly synths, but I'm all out of squelch, sorry.
  • Love it, but not sure it surpasses Systemagic for me. I'm glad we got a selection of mixes, but if it was at the cost of Systemagic having similar treatment, I might come to resent Anymore.

Well, not in the grand scheme of things, just in the context of unassailable GF tracks. ;)
  • I read posts on here sometimes with much amusement. Is it a man thing? Or a gay man thing? Sometimes the comments are so, well, possessive and a tad dramatic lol!
    Get your hands off my pre-release dated double B sided lesser spotted double chocolate plastic coated picture disced remix! I've heard some gay men get a bit like that over Kylie Minogue ( I should know, I lived with one- supposedly str8 but I think not).
    She hasn't been in the charts for a while has she? Hope she hasn't been pinned onto MDF and framed behind glass by some crazed fan ( not that I care actually but maybe she's a nice person and I'm waffling when I should be doing my Tesco order).
    Just saying.
  • Kylie? She's working away on a new album — and hopefully one that's actually deserving of her name, image, and talent as opposed to the Pharrell-manipulated mess that was Kiss Me Once (in my opinion). New label too, so I'm not super worried. Ed Sheeran is another one who regularly pisses me off in regards to how he takes control of collaborative projects, the egomaniac responsible for ruining James Blunt's newest album and all. Sigh...

Ok, I'd better stop! Lol. Too much to say about that.

• KatRobin said:

I read posts on here sometimes with much amusement. Is it a man thing? Or a gay man thing? Sometimes the comments are so, well, possessive and a tad dramatic lol!
    Get your hands off my pre-release dated double B sided lesser spotted double chocolate plastic coated picture disced remix! I've heard some gay men get a bit like that over Kylie Minogue ( I should know, I lived with one- supposedly str8 but I think not).
    She hasn't been in the charts for a while has she? Hope she hasn't been pinned onto MDF and framed behind glass by some crazed fan ( not that I care actually but maybe she's a nice person and I'm waffling when I should be doing my Tesco order).
    Just saying.

Was this specifically replying to my own post? Speaking only for myself here, I'm not so possessive in the way you infer some may be, nor gay, but I do like to collect, and love remixes. I've met a few people whom I know to be gay, and do fit that mold of "I have more than you do. Nyah" but I wouldn't make a grand generalizations about such people, as I've met straight folks who are the same, too (maybe a little less flamboyant...maybe).

As for Kylie, there are fans like you say, and for Madonna, Debbie Harry, and the more you go back, Cher, Minnelli, Streisand, Garland, etc, etc. It's a bit of a stereotype that some gay men will embrace the diva above all, and Kylie was elevated to that status a long time ago. You'll have to ask such a gay man to explain the psychology of that from their side.

Me; well my eyes tend to linger on Kylie in ways such men don't understand, nor wish to comprehend.

Alright, my eyes may be possessive. ;)
  • I'm prefer the gentlemen, but I have no fashion sense and can't dance,. Would you shame me or praise me, @KatRobin?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Lol, come come you know that I was teasing!! You should know me well enough by now! Being gay myself etc then I detest stereotypes ( I also teach about countering them).
    Any friend of Judy is a friend of mine and you won't find a bigger anorak / nerd than me when it comes to collecting mineral specimens and naming plants. I just poked fun at the tendency some have on here to be hyper-analytical and uber-nerdy about music formatting with that streak of artist-ownership that is half cute, half a little unnerving ( to me anyway).
    I'm probably not clarifying myself at all, so please accept my apology if any offence was caused, sniff :(
  • KatRobin said:

...if any offence was caused, sniff :(

Nope. Just joining in on the fun.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • No offense taken here either. My anorak remains wrinkle-free. ;)
  • I think it is just a super fan thing :) 
  • Sigh, my honeymoon phase with the album has definitely passed, and all of my extreme/obsessed/fanboy excitement has fizzled out. As I feared (my initial gut reaction to the album was correct), the album doesn't have the longevity for me. I can't play it over and over like previous albums, nor do I care to even try. In fact, I haven't played it in weeks :( . And like most of us on here, I'm a diehard fan since their first album... so this is the first time I've encountered this with a Goldfrapp album, so it's really unexpected :/
    Post edited by ryanraymedina at 2017-05-11 14:27:48
  • First of all, phew...!
    Re Ryanraymedia's comment above...I'm still in the honeymoon phase, esp with the second half of the album, but I enjoyed listening to Felt M on my drive to work this am. Oddly, and v sadly, I passed a poor dead deer in the road just as I was listening to Deer Stop.
    My love for all the back catalogue hasn't diminished one inch and I can't imagine it will with SE, but there is something that UT said that I have to agree with, about the rich sensuality of Previous albums that have the strings and horns ...Romantic and enduring.
  • Happy Wesak everyone by the way. Enjoy the moon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!