Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • I stand corrected. Which is good news for everyone. My apologies to Alison ( I'd be happy to take correction from her anytime lol).
    Obviously sleuthing is not my next vocation! :D
  • KatRobin said:

I stand corrected.

The orthopedic shoes are working then! ;-) (oh deery me)
  • Anyone else finding that after 7 or 8 listens they still can't fully get a read on Silver Eye?

• Definitely. In my opinion it feels like an evolution of the sounds from all previous albums sans Tales of Us, combined. I find myself blowing through the whole album (really hate how short it is) in next to no time, without enough length to it for me to really absorb it. Strange, as Head First was even shorter and I "got it" within the first listen and, in fact, found myself more addicted to listening to it. Although, as I revisit the album over and over I'm feeling more of a connection with it.

Silver Eye is really the ultimate "grower" album, in that it doesn't hook you right away. It slowly digs deeper and deeper into your mind and heart over time.
  • Ed the Ginger Jam Rag can go and fuck himself. So can JK (obviously run short of cash) as far as I'm concerned. As for Take That, how long can you squeeze that rock and get blood out? Rag n Bone Man....OK.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Ed the Ginger Jam Rag can go and fuck himself. So can JK (obviously run short of cash) as far as I'm concerned. As for Take That, how long can you squeeze that rock and get blood out? Rag n Bone Man....OK.

:))
  • Yay! Mine finally arrived. No scribbles on the packaging - my name was printed on it.

Vinyl in perfect shape and CD came with bonus booklet, signed by A+W (cheekily one of them upside down. Smart-asses knew I was gonna frame it! Lol). Currently blasting the cd on my speakers and shopping around for a new cartridge for my vinyl. So excited. A new era is here! I really hope I get to see the band on tour here and hopefully meet them + thank them for their kindness. Really such sweet people.

• my name wasnt crossed off, but I'm in the US, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Don't know how to embed the pics of my signed copy, but heres a link if you're interested to see!

Post edited by christianxvii at 2017-04-05 17:25:54
  • @Pawlusss said: "I keep thinking of Dusty Springfield when I hear Tigerman for some reason"

I totally hear it after I watched her In
    Private video today, Tigerman came to mind instantly... the way Dusty sings/lingers on "tiiiime," "liiike," "realiiize," etc is similar to Alison's vocal delivery...

Post edited by ryanraymedina at 2017-04-05 17:57:48
  • Never linked Goldfrapp with Dusty somehow .. I do always link her voice to Cocteau Twins/Elizabeth Fraser.
  • The poster and pin set are now available at the musicglue store :)
  • react010 said:

Never linked Goldfrapp with Dusty somehow .. I do always link her voice to Cocteau Twins/Elizabeth Fraser.

AMEN
  • A full impression is still taking shape but the songs have definitely taken hold. Zodiac Black and Beast that Never Was are for me the least memorable tracks, but hard to pick favorites. It's at least a 4/5, will obviously need some time to properly compare to their past efforts though.
    Post edited by deep_honey at 2017-04-06 15:59:05
  • Low said:

Anyone else finding that after 7 or 8 listens they still can't fully get a read on Silver Eye?

Yes, agree with you Low.
    I like it. I want to like it more but I feel something is missing to put it up amongst my favourites.
    I think my favourite track is Ocean. I like Become the One, and Alison's return to shifting her vocal down really low, like in Tiptoe but therein lies the dilemma. I prefer Tiptoe to be honest and I think it is the absence of strings on SE that is the problem . I listened back to Black Cherry, as it too was a heavily synth based album following a more cinematic soundscape type album (Felt Mountain) . About half the songs are all synth, Crystalline Green, Train, Twist, Strict Machine and the wonderfully dark Slippage, but the other half all feature strings at some point, Black Cherry, Deep Honey, Hairy Trees and Tiptoe, and this elevates the album overall, giving it a warmer, more rounded feel and texture. Tiptoe starts all brash and thick with synths but then you get a snatch of strings in the middle that takes it to another level and then they drop out again and return for the last minute and that end section is just Wow! So rich. It always gives me one of those moments where your body has an involuntary emotional response and the hairs on your arm stand up.
    There is no track on Silver Eye I dislike, a couple I'm Ho-hum over but that may change over time. Some of the tracks are better when they are played live, Anymore in particular.
    Feel free to take pot shots now.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-04-06 17:20:44
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Tigerman, Beast That Never Was Anymore, swims in the Ocean of Systemagic chasing Faux Suede Drifter  with Moon in Your Mouth and Zodiac Black eyes screaming that Everything is Never Enough to Become the One.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!