Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • Parallel lives Slippage... Yep, I went a-huntin on EBay.
  • . You'd think it would have been easier instead of a hand-job!?

Ah, the power of editing.
    Nothing easier than a hand job!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • My bundle arrived today, properly addressed with no mess-ups lol. Will signed on a separate page.

I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...

• Joey said:

My bundle arrived today, properly addressed with no mess-ups lol. Will signed on a separate page.

Can't wait for mine to arrive :D
  • . You'd think it would have been easier instead of a hand-job!?

Ah, the power of editing.
    Nothing easier than a hand job!

Tee-hee.. I thought that when I read it too! Smut.
  • It looks like every package was labelled with mis-matching name/address. You'd think it would have been easier to re-print the labels instead of a hand-job!?

Urban.. same for me! My booklet is signed by both Alison and Will, but the parcel had the name 'Joe Beer' on the front but and scribbled out, and replaced with mine. Although no sign of the clear vinyl yet.. which I ordered first!

That's the first instance of a crossed-out name being someone I know :-) Joe lives in Penzance and was on the old GMB as Mothwings :-)

Amazing.. When I saw the name I did wonder if they were a Frapp forum member! Well I certainly hope Joe has his own copy sent to him with the right name and address!

Back to the album itself.. it's so strange.. I feel like I've anticipated this type of return of sound from them for a while (even though after Head First which I felt was half baked, I yearned for something like Tales Of Us). I enjoyed the start of the Tales campaign so much.. but then after the Royal Albert Hall gig I felt like I couldn't wait to get the BPM up a bit and show my boyfriend (who I've dragged to every concert they've done since Tales) how great they are at gigs that showcase their uptempo catalogue. 

On first listen, the album just brushed past me and when I got to Moon and Ocean, I felt a little bereft that within 40 mins the album was listened to and there was nothing to look forward to! I anticipate Goldfrapp album release days so much and then 10 tracks later it's all listened to! Four days later every track has it's own personality and I'm picking out my favourites.. and realising how amazing the songs are that didn't initially grab me.. I mean how epic is Moon In Your Mouth?! Such a beautiful song. Ocean is simply incredible, and I can't resist the urge to grind like Ali holding a theremin between her legs to Systemagic every time. I for one, think Tigerman is stunning and those 80's Bowie in the Labrynth synths get me every time. Become The One really sucks you in and Zodiac Black on first listen feels a bit empty if you don't concentrate, but then completely hypnotises you and takes you on a journey that reminds me of how i felt during Black Cherry in my late teens.  Faux Suede Drifter is another one that sounds unique but not too distant from Black Cherry (Tigerman vibes too!).. Ali's vocals are beautiful on it. Everything Is Never Enough is getting better on every listen and I can't wait to see it live. I think Beast That Never Was is the only track that needs to grow on me.. but with that said I'm listening to it right now and I'm getting so much Felt Mountain (the track) messages.. is it just me? I hate to sound like I'm trying to marry up this album with that past work (I agree that SE is in a league of it's own) but it's so nice to hear little hints of past works and sounds.. it's like seeing an old friend again who has grown up and totally different but with pleasant glimmers of their former self. 

I could talk about Goldfrapp and their music forever.

• At last...my delivery from Music Glue has arrived,and as per nearly everyone else,my name has been written on the address label and the printed original has been scribbled out.It looks like it was addressed to a Stuart Gaton or Galon?
    Anyway,the CD is all nicely shrinkwrapped but the album has some slight damage on the top left corner,which is a bit of a pisser.Two sets of postcards and a signed CD booklet included.Will signed on the back & Alison next to her pic holding the mirror.
    Opened up the CD there is another booklet,although not signed.
    Although I'm glad the order has arrived,the fact it's taken 4 days after the release to get delivered is annoying,knowing that Music Glue could have despatched the order earlier last week so that everyone who pre-ordered got it on the day of release.I could have ordered it from Amazon,saved £4 and got it on time.
    Ho hum...

• Joey said:

My bundle arrived today, properly addressed with no mess-ups lol. Will signed on a separate page.

I see you got a nice big signature from Alison and more words.Mine just says 'Love Alison X' and is quite small.Looks like I got one where she lost the will to sign anymore booklets.I put some pics on my Twitter.
    Post edited by 8bitcruncher at 2017-04-04 09:22:26
  • Hmm....look carefully at the signatures on both those booklets- they are identical, they're printed. Either Alison is phenomenally consistent when signing ( and I can imagine more than most what a drag that would be, given the books I have to mark every day!) or there is an odour of rat in the room. I used to enjoy graphology as a hobby years ago, but it doesn't take a Miss Marple to note that there is no pen indentation in the paper of the booklets too.
    Personally, I can forgive Al this ( if I'm right) as I already have her authentic moniker three times, tho sadly none addressed to me personally lol. I would rather she spent her time in the studio or climbing up a volcano to get inspiration than sitting signing gatefolds.
    Methinks I might actually get a personally addressed letter now actually- telling me I'm about to be sued or at best, ostracised from the forum. Al and Will did send a thank you to their fans on the album sleeve, and for that we should all be very chuffed.
  • KatRobin said:

Hmm....look carefully at the signatures on both those booklets- they are identical, they're printed....

Which booklets do you mean, KatRobin? Obviously not the ones immediately above, as 8bitcruncher simply copied the pic that Joey had posted...
  • I still haven't recieved my pre order
  • whispered said:

KatRobin said:

Hmm....look carefully at the signatures on both those booklets- they are identical, they're printed....

Which booklets do you mean, KatRobin? Obviously not the ones immediately above, as 8bitcruncher simply copied the pic that Joey had posted...

Yes, it's just a "quote" of the same picture, lol.

• Yes, it's just a "quote" of the same picture, lol.

Anyone know Miss Marple's number?
  • I've now seen at least 3 different types of signature from Alison on these booklets Kat.  It looks like a sharpie marker ( Will was using one at recent gigs to sign stuff) which would leave no pen indentation.
    I think she starts off full of vim and vigour 'thanks you for being such a great fan, love Alison X' then about 20 later it gets to be 'thanks for being a fan, love Alison X', then another 20 ' love Alison x' then finally ' Alison x'

As long as there are lots of kisses on the bottom.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • #5 in the midweeks! They should secure the top 10 by friday.. not sure if they will maintain 5 though.. I'm really hoping so! Got my vinyl and cd, also bought it on iTunes. Been streaming it a lot all week on my Spotify too. Ed, Jamiroquai, Rag 'n' Bone Man & Take That are all in front.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!