Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye reviews
  • 82 Comments sorted by
  • If you thought that The Artsdesk review was pretentious twaddle,then this from 'Loud & Quiet' (nope,never heard of  'em) is in another dimension of crap reviews.Gave Silver Eye 4/10.

http://www.loudandquiet.com/reviews/goldfrapp-silver-eye/
  • Apple Music is advertising the album too via their Twitter. It's going to hopefully sell well with that kind of tangible publicity.
  • BBC 6 Music now reviewing the album on Roundtable.Expect them to give it Album Of The Day tomorrow.
    They played Systemagic.'Comedian' Jeremy Hardy hated it,Sonya from Echobelly liked it,the other bloke reviewer liked the synths.

Post edited by 8bitcruncher at 2017-03-30 13:58:08
  • 8bitcruncher said:If you thought that The Artsdesk review was pretentious twaddle,then this from 'Loud & Quiet' (nope,never heard of  'em) is in another dimension of crap reviews.Gave Silver Eye 4/10.

http://www.loudandquiet.com/reviews/goldfrapp-silver-eye/

Saw that piece of shit yesterday. It truly is a piece of
    shit. Can't even get release dates right.

The Guardian have reviewed Silver Eye.Gave it 3 stars.Still,it's the Album Of The Week.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/30/goldfrapp-silver-eye-review-alexis-petridis-album-of-the-week

Alex Petredis moaning that Goldfrapp still...er...sound like Goldfrapp and not like any of that awful 'trap' shit that gets constantly played on BlandFM.

No surprise there, Alex Petri Dish has always been one of the most annoying and cynical voices in music journalism.

Joey said:

A surprising 7.4 from Pitchfork. This is their second highest rating of a Goldfrapp album. Felt Mountain received an 8.0.

"On their first album in four years, Goldfrapp synthesize all their many sounds and modes to get at the core of their musical identity. They find a beautiful, poppy, platonic ideal."

The only surprise. Are they finally starting to like Goldfrapp again?

• BBC 6 Music now reviewing the album on Roundtable.Expect them to give it Album Of The Day tomorrow.
    They played Systemagic.'Comedian' Jeremy Hardy hated it,Sonya from Echobelly liked it,the other bloke reviewer liked the synths.

People like Jeremy Hardy really piss me off. I know that the Beeb provide a listening pack for people on the program so that they can make informed comment, otherwise, what's the point. JH obviously wasted the time having s wank somewhere as it was obvious he had not listened to anything, Silver Eye in particular.
    ' I don't know who Alision Goldfrapp is trying to be' he wailed. 'If we wanted to listen to 70's disco, we would just dig out our old 70's disco records'.
    Fuck of Jeremy! At least have the common decency to listen to something before you are paid to make comment about it, because if you think that's 70's disco, you are a moron.
    Probably thought he could coast this prog with no homework and just rely on wit, which is where it all went wrong !
    Now, that's a review !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-03-30 15:04:52
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

People like Jeremy Hardy really piss me off. I know that the Beeb provide a listening pack for people on the program so that they can make informed comment, otherwise, what's the point. JH obviously wasted the time having s wank somewhere as it was obvious he had not listened to anything, Silver Eye in particular.
    ' I don't know who Alision Goldfrapp is trying to be' he wailed. 'If we wanted to listen to 70's disco, we would just dig out our old 70's disco records'.
    Fuck of Jeremy! At least have the common decency to listen to something before you are paid to make comment about it, because if you think that's 70's disco, you are a moron.
    Probably thought he could coast this prog with no homework and just rely on wit, which is where it all went wrong !
    Now, that's a review !

Someone get UT a fucking medal.

I always expect wank from one person when it comes to the roundtable. Didn't someone there say "Drew" was "beige music" and called it bland or something? Pile of shit.

• @Urban_Tribesman You summed it up perfectly.Hardy should just stick to doing the News Quiz on Radio 4.Never understood why they always get him on for record reviews.He's such a miserable old git!
  • I missed my career as a reviewer. Whenever I am put in a position where I have to pass comment or views on something, I always do the homework, otherwise, your views are just a pile of gob shite!
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but at least put yourself in a position where you can defend that view with informed argument.
  • I know I'll enjoy it regardless--hell, Head First is one of my favorites haha. (By the way, a great album to drive along to in the desert at spring!)
  • Nice review Slippage. From the heart obviously. It is easy to see your affection for Will and Alison.
    As stated above, I believe in being constructive in a review; even if it is a review of your review. Perhaps your fondness for the band is a little too manifest but I can understand that. Even with the things we love, it is important to remain objective, as we must resist the temptation to lead the reader to the conclusion we ourselves have come to, but to guide them along a path to enlightenment.

I have heard 7 of the tracks now, mostly live as I have avoided any leaked material. At Cambridge they performed Tigerman, at Roundhouse Moon in your Mouth, and at both they performed Anymore, Ocean ( my favourite do far), Systemagic, Become the One and Everything is Never Enough, so I await the pleasure of listening to the album in the order the Will & Alison intended, on vinyl of course.
    Perhaps you now want to review my review of your review !
  • Ha! Thanks for checking it out. I intended it to come across as nothing but respectful to the band but also a review that distances itself from my admiration for them, focusing solely on the music itself (I mention this intended neutrality here and there, but I can understand if it isn't visible in my writing due to my really enjoying the record). It just so happens that I love the album very much, so I suppose there's not really a way I can review it without it sounding almost to the point of worship. With my reviews I tend to focus on things I enjoy and appreciate about a record rather than pros/cons, really. I try to inspire the listener to give the record a listen themselves and feel that criticism can sometimes bring about an unintended turn-off effect to the reader.

Really, I just try to say, "this is what spoke to me and caught my attention," and provide examples before leaving the reader inspired to seek out the record in question themselves. It's not a conventional reviewing method I know, but I rather enjoy just presenting it like a hidden treasure of sorts. 
    Pros and cons are so 2006 ;) 

I think you'll love this album, UT. It's really something special.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-30 18:42:28
  • Slippage said:

I think you'll love this album, UT. It's really something special.

I dunno Slippage. Is the Pope still a Catholic?
  • That's it the 31st folks!  Now have my pre-order from iTunes firmly in my library :-)

So, here's my two pence;

The whole album is immaculately produced, and even purely focussing on instrumental tracks this is a extolment to the duo.  I'd say the album is firmly planted on it's own two feet, and borrows very lightly from prior assortments.  People were very quick to turn to Black Cherry & Supernature for influences and comparisons, nevertheless I think that was ill-judged and purely based on the idea that an electronic album would follow their lead.  Silver Eye has far more in common with the recent Tales Of Us than either of those two albums, and even to a certain extent Head First in some songs (e.g the marvellous Systemagic & Everything Is Never Enough).

I get a very dystopian vibe from the album, particularly the midriff of it.  In contrast, I found both Black Cherry & Supernature to be relatively light hearted.

My favourites for just now are Anymore, Systemagic, Faux Suede Drifter & Moon In Your Mouth.  The others are still growing on me, all I need now are the lyrics :D 
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • I really enjoyed reading that Slippage.
  • There's a review in The Times newspaper (UK) today. 

Of all the bands to have survived the past two decades, Goldfrapp must be the most unlikely. The duo emerged in 2000 with Felt Mountain, the orchestrated soundtrack to a fever dream, only to return with Black Cherry, which sounded like mething Marc Bolan might have come up with had he been trapped in a fetish club.

Then came Supernature, which took glam rock, disco and Kraftwerk-style electronics and stripped them down to their cold and metallic yet sexy essence, before fan-alienating forays into pastoral folk and chanson-style balladry.

All of this from Will Gregory, a self-effacing type who looks as if he would be happiest giving lectures on the use of the crumhorn in Renaissance Europe; and Alison Goldfrapp, an army officer’s daughter from Hampshire who alternates between being cross about one thing or another in interviews to channelling the haughty glamour of Marlene Dietrich on stage. How on earth have they stayed together?

Silver Eye, their best album since Supernature, offers an answer: by going their own way. Goldfrapp have released an album that could only be described as pop, but it sounds like nothing else out there in 2017. Take Anymore, which launches the album. Basic lyrics about not being capable of waiting to satisfy lustful feelings are aligned to a stomping beat and a synthesizer melody so simple that a reasonably well-behaved monkey could play it, yet it is thrilling. Systemagic thumps along with protean urgency, but Alison Goldfrapp’s breathy way of singing about the silver eye of the moon while a synthesizer goes haywire in the background creates an intoxicating mood.

Silver Eye is also extremely silly. Goldfrapp have long followed an aesthetic and lyrical path that falls somewhere between a pagan ritual, a New York disco and a suburban swingers’ party. And while the Kate Bush moans and keyboard washes of Tigerman are pretty powerful, it is hard to be moved by a song about a man who grows fur and starts meowing at the moon. Not that silliness is anything to be afraid of, but you do wonder if Goldfrapp take this mystical malarkey too seriously.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter because Silver Eye is original, catchy and with its own strange character; everything you want from good pop. While it may not inspire you to strip off and dance naked round a flaming pentagram come the next full moon, it does make for a colourful, exciting listen. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!