Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • I'm really surprised the album hasn't leaked yet, given the track record along with the fact that its already doing the rounds with all the music review publications. Whatever they've done its working.
    At the same time I really am curious to hear what some of the more downtempo songs are going to sound like in their entirety, its killing me!
  • This isn't aimed at you Pawusss, but i've seen some people around the web saying similar and it just annoys me.  I wish people wouldn't ruin something so potent such as music with such ornate religious shite.
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-03-16 13:02:45
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Pawlusss said:

Does anyone else get 'Burning Bush' in the symbolism of that photo?

Obvious The Truth refference. First hair colour and now this
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Gaelen said:

This isn't aimed at you Pawusss, but i've seen some people around the web saying similar and it just annoys me.  I wish people wouldn't ruin something so potent such as music with such ornate religious shite.

On the plus side, there's no reason why we can't reclaim such a symbol/image for non-religious purposes. After all, most Christian imagery and ritual has older roots in other mythologies and understandings.
    Post edited by whispered at 2017-03-16 15:17:52
  • whispered said:

Gaelen said:

This isn't aimed at you Pawusss, but i've seen some people around the web saying similar and it just annoys me.  I wish people wouldn't ruin something so potent such as music with such ornate religious shite.

On the plus side, there's no reason why we can't reclaim such a symbol/image for non-religious purposes. After all, most Christian imagery and ritual has older roots in other mythologies and understandings.

I was of the impression the burning bush and it's symbolism was exclusive to the bible and it's Christian package, but if i'm being hasty then i'm being hasty and I stand corrected.

It's not so much that I don't appreciate the symbolism, it's just what surrounds it that annoys me (and I am of no particular religion myself).
  • Op, burning bush...nasty ( apparently lol!). Sure you can get a cream for it.
  • Gaelen said:

I was of the impression the burning bush and it's symbolism was exclusive to the bible and it's Christian package, but if i'm being hasty then i'm being hasty and I stand corrected.

It's not so much that I don't appreciate the symbolism, it's just what surrounds it that annoys me (and I am of no particular religion myself).

Yes, I'm sure that most people would see the burning bush as a Christian symbol, but the Biblical image almost certainly drew on pre-Christian traditions. Apparently, in pre-Christian Egypt and Sinai, lone thorn bushes and trees in the desert were revered as inhabited by Osiris. Another set of traditions in ancient Egypt has desert trees being the homes of a variety of goddesses, including, Hathor, Nuit, Selkit, Nit...at times the form of the goddess might be seen emerging from the branches of the tree....

Another Egyptian myth has the Phoenix being born in the flames which rose from the burning branches of the sacred tree of Heliopolis, whilst Safekth, the goddess of learning, wrote the name of a king on its leaves.

Looking further afield, here in Wales, mistletoe was traditionally called the tree of pure gold, and contained the seed of the sun's fire. Druidic ritual was said to have involved setting fire to oak wood and mistletoe, in order to renew the fires of the sun.

I could go on.....!

So although I also get bored by people who insist on their particular interpretation of symbols and image in art (including GF!), I do think there is plenty of scope for each of us to read whatever is most meaningful to us into it.

• whispered said:

Gaelen said:

Thank you for the lesson! Lots of new info for me :)
  • KatRobin said:

Op, burning bush...nasty ( apparently lol!). Sure you can get a cream for it.

More common in the 70's I believe.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I can see in the imagery the interpretation that Pawlusss has mentioned but I doubt it is intended as a religious comment, either by Alison or Pawlusss. I'm not aware that Alision is a God Botherer, quite the opposite.

Given the choice of where this was shot, probably more a metaphor on the volcanic heart of this landscape.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-03-16 16:57:39
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Thank you for the eye-opener, whispered.  Always nice to have a little discussion on here :D 
  • Im going to ask a rather stupid question here but can someone explain the burning bush symbolism to me.

Is there some sort of God/Moses/Religious theme going on with the album or have i veered off the scale. Strangely i did feel a sort of religious/spiritual vibe with Seventh Tree.

I dont know if that was the intention but happiness and eat yourself feels like those songs that share motherly advice and wisdom.

• Basically the burning bush symbolism is about Moses going to a sacred mountain to receive the word of God.
    It went down something like this-

God- "yo, yo Moses..we gots to speak. Meet me where the Sun meets the Moon, oh and bring a tablet."

Moses- "oh, you mean a volcano? Where the Sun comes out of the Earth every night?"

God- "Word. Riddle me this- You'll see a bush that burns, but does not burn."

Moses- "Does this have anything to do with Commandments and Egyptian slaves?"

God- "Maybe"

Moses- "Thank-god, because these apes need help."

God- "Word to ya motha."

(Maybe I watched Hamilton recently, sorry)
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Needless to say, this has nothing to do with Goldfrapp. Unless you want it to!
  • Thought 14 new replies overnight meant something had happened. Instead it's a whole page about a burning bush. Blegh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!