Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • got you and
    Everything is Never Enough is Believer v2.o

this album thank you jeezus 
    SuperFuture 
    Post edited by stevil at 2017-02-18 00:37:09
  • Thanks to the Deer who PM'd me.  I'm regretting listening to the clips now, though.  I really hope I'm getting the wrong impression and that you really have to hear the full songs to "get" it, but they sound so... uninspired here.  Even Alison's sleepy vocals seem disengaged.  And, frequently, it sounds derivative of their earlier work, but without the hooks.  Like well produced demos; sketches of songs yet to be fleshed out.  I hope I'm really wrong.  I recall - going back to the Black Cherry years - hearing their album previews and being instantly hooked, instantly intrigued.  Here, I had to fight the urge to skip ahead on every other 1 minute track.  

And this is coming from a lifelong fan who's been with them since their first US tour in 2000 and who loves "pastoral" Goldfrapp as much as he loves glam-disco-stomp Goldfrapp.  Ugh.  
  • Disengaged?

OCEAN @ :20 seconds in is the most vulnerable vocal moment i've ever heard from Alison Goldfrapp since i first discovered her and Will in 2000 on KCRW

you have got to be kidding me..............................

• Ocean @ :20 seconds is the most vulnerable vocal moment you've heard from Alison Goldfrapp?  Um...

Black Cherry, Yellow Halo, A&E, Head First and Clay say 'hi'.  
    :-\"

(Anyway, I hope I'm dead wrong about this.  I'll gladly eat my hat on this one, but, man, was this a disappointing preview for me)
  • no wonder she shies away from fans
    toxic......
    self care Sage

• I'm not sure why you need to take umbrage with someone expressing a different opinion.  I've loved every single album they've released from Felt Mountain to TOU -- yes, even the sometimes maligned Head First.  These previews have left me cold, but I'll be the first one to celebrate if my first impressions turn out to be way off.  I literally hope I'm wrong and that I'll end up loving the album.  
  • it's not about me 
    it's about the artists
    and there are several involved with Silver Eye 

and that's that last i will interact with you
    like i said...i sense toxin

• I'm not sure why you need to take umbrage with someone expressing a different opinion.  I've loved every single album they've released from Felt Mountain to TOU -- yes, even the sometimes maligned Head First.  These previews have left me cold, but I'll be the first one to celebrate if my first impressions turn out to be way off.  I literally hope I'm wrong and that I'll end up loving the album.  

In my experience it's a good sign if it doesn't sound that great on a first
    listen. My favourite album ever is 7T but I remember how disappointed I was that didn't sound
    good at first, and took me about 10 spins to get into most of it. 
  • Hi fellow frappers 

Where do you go to listen to the previews? I can't find them anywhere online.

Reading the recent interviews with Alison and what she's had to say about SE's soundscape and themes throughout I literally cannot wait. 
  • I absolutely love the samples :) I can't wait for the album to come out :) I'm sure the samples don't do the justice of a whole thing but still they sound bloody fantastic,the songs change so much even in those 1 minute clips so the whole album will be an awesome trip :)
     As everybody else,the track that excites me the most is OCEAN :) I'm amazed of that little bit when her voice goes fragile and then is followed by that rapturing chorus :D
  • i have to say i was really bummed out on first listen but then put the samples on my iPhone and listened to them a few times. now i'm totally hooked on a bunch of tracks; Tigerman, Faux Suede Drifter, Everything is Never Enough, and of course Ocean and Anymore... 

There is the same brilliance here that always was Goldfrapp - it is just yet again packaged so differently that we are having to adjust :)

• stevil said:

no wonder she shies away from fans

toxic......
    self care Sage

If it were me in Alison's shoes, the only fans i'd by shying away from are people like you... coo coo! ;) 

I agree with people about it seeming a bit underwhelming on first listen, but I think that's because we expect a lot and don't expect the right things either.  This album is it's own beast, but we are obviously trying to familiarise it to past work to find some common ground.  Once we have the full album i'm sure it'll be different, especially considering each song is relatively long.

The wait is tough!

Soon be nothing of this world.
  • If I were dead, could I do this?
  • It does grow on one.  I'm starting to think that is a trend with a lot of Goldfrapp music as I consider past recording....

NovaLasing said:

In my experience it's a good sign if it doesn't sound that great on a first
    listen. My favourite album ever is 7T but I remember how disappointed I was that didn't sound
    good at first, and took me about 10 spins to get into most of it. 

See, that's the odd thing.  Their music has always been instant with me.  Yes, certainly, multiple listens are always rewarded, but the second I heard Felt Mountain, Black Cherry, Supernature, Seventh Tree, Head First and TOU, it clicked for me.  Even just the previews.  I was hooked, enthralled, ready for more.  So, that's why this experience stood out for me.  Goldfrapp's never been a band I've had to listen to multiple times before I "got" it.  The previews just left me flat and cold.  And I actually really like "Anymore". Anyway, you should pay no attention to me, in case you didn't hear, I'm toxic.  
    Post edited by HorseTearz at 2017-02-19 04:29:44

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!