Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 3229 Comments sorted by
  • today i feel like poop. i had a crappy weekend of feeling not well i hate taking time off work, but bah...
  • We got a load of turmeric for old dog we artritis sadly she didn't last long enough to see if it worked. I've heard people say it good but tastes bloody auwful - what's the best way to take it without barfing? I'm on the 'hippy shit' herbal teas and Geiger, lemon, honey etc
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Appy61 said:

I've heard people say it good but tastes bloody auwful - what's the best way to take it without barfing? I'm on the 'hippy shit' herbal teas and Geiger, lemon, honey etc

There are LOTS of different views on this, Appy. The taste is distinctively "earthy", and some people dislike it. You can take it in capsules or tablets to reduce the mouth taste, but this is an expensive way of doing it. Other people suggest using ordinary powder, dissolved in warm milk, with honey, or in some concoction of their own devising. There is also a "golden paste" commercially available, which some people like as it is quite versatile. In any case, the active ingredient is curcumin, which is fat soluble, so its generally advised to take it with milk or something fatty.

The research on its effectiveness seems to say that it has some anti-inflammatory effect, but it is not disease altering (i.e. it affects the symptoms but not the underlying condition). It may have some effect on blood coagulation, so you have to be wary if you are taking warfarin or similar "blood thinners". Some people swear by it, others find it of little value. 
  • Em interesting @whispered - mixed it with olive oil and pepper for the dog potion. It seems it might be a bit of a placebo - nothing wrong with that if it works for you.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • The key is to use long pepper (Piper longum) instead of regular black pepper.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Another  reason to try ginger root.  Just dice it up an eat it like a snack.  Very spicy.
  • I don't dislike the taste of turmeric. I've found that adding it to a cup-a-soup means you can't taste it at all!
    As for the gerbil, got to bury her today. Which could be tricky given that we have moles and the occasional rat visitor. And the hares have been digging up my flower bulbs to munch ( grr). Also saw a stoat whizzing past in the back garden the other day.
    On what other fan forum could you find " turmeric", " dead gerbil", and " cup-a- soup" in one paragraph?!!
  • Maybe I should just save myself the job and post her to you in a Jiffy bag UT. You could make a necklace or a light pull or something from her ( my poor darling).
  • Appy61 said:

Em interesting @whispered - mixed it with olive oil and pepper for the dog potion. It seems it might be a bit of a placebo - nothing wrong with that if it works for you.

Yes, I'm a big fan of placebos! Its just a way of saying that a given "treatment" helps you mobilise your intrinsic resources
  • whispered said:

Appy61 said:

I'm a big fan of placebos! Its just a way of saying that a given "treatment" helps you mobilise your intrinsic resources 

Nicely said, whispered.  I feel we so underestimate our "intrinsic resources".  Of course, the problem is that we don't see in on advertising because no one can make any money off of that so, who cares?
  • Some believe that's all that true medicines do anyhow.
  • It sure beats the shit out of all of those pharmaceuticals that do little of benefit, except make some huge profit for some.
  • iuventus said:

Some believe that's all that true medicines do anyhow.

Maybe, but that would be wrong, unless the term "true medicines" is used in an unusual sense. Because if I have overwhelming septicaemia or meningitis, for instance, IV antibiotics will be the difference between living and dying, and they work by killing the bugs directly
  • Then it is good for you that your weltanshauung includes a solid belief in right and wrong.
  • iuventus said:

Then it is good for you that your weltanshauung includes a solid belief in right and wrong.

It was the first thing I checked when I was in the ambulance - "Before you stick that needle in my arm, can I just be assured that your weltanshuung is compatible with mine ?"
    Post edited by whispered at 2017-02-15 09:37:02

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!