Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • @Gaelen Ah, gotchya! I do totally hear the similarities as well between Become The One and Pale Green Ghosts
  • Gaelen said:

@Slippage - If you had said MDNA, or perhaps some of Rebel Heart we might have been onto something.

There's actually quite a bit of MDNA and RH that I love (Inside Out, Ghosttown, Falling Free, etc.). I actually saw M on the RH tour in Toronto (first time!) and she was fantastic. Not worth the $600 for two seats, mind you, but she definitely put on a stunning show even if it felt forced. I wish I could have made it to the MDNA tour...

But I digress. 
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-08 18:11:49
  • On the topic of that album/producer, Alison singing something down the lines of this would go down a treat.

@Slippage - I only like Turn Up the Radio off MDNA (however i've not listened to much of the album).  I like a majority of Rebel Heart, but I know some of the 'critics' hammer it, party due to the difference between the final release and the leaks.
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-02-08 18:14:34
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • @Gaelen Ooo yess, totally!
    Also, ever since you've posted about John Grant today, I've looked him up and started to listen and really like his work! So thank you :) 
  • You're welcome Ryan  :)

Someone else on here actually introduced me to something recently because it sounded a bit like Alison, which is a little hidden gem called BEA1991.  

The song that sounds like Alison is called 'Hinterland'.
  • Slightly off topic... sorry if this has been mentioned before somewhere here in the forum, but the album cover (aside from obviously looking like a painting from René Magritte) is totally giving me vibes of the Outer Limits' "Cry of Silence" episode... see a still here... image

@Gaelen Ooo thanks again for the musical recommendation, I will definitely give it a listen :) !
  • Slightly off topic... sorry if this has been mentioned before somewhere here in the forum, but the album cover (aside from obviously looking like a painting from René Magritte) is totally giving me vibes of the Outer Limits' "Cry of Silence" episode... see a still here... ">

Maybe that's exactly what it's about!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-02-08 18:43:04
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Vicious attacks by tumbleweed
  • Off-topic, but out of interest, what Madonna songs are in question here? :P
    Slippage said:

Oh, there's no way I'll let that slip out! Lol. I've been sent enough insult-laden messages in all-caps over it. I will say that Confessions and Ray of Light are brilliant albums, and songs such as Gone, You'll See, Live To Tell and The Power of Goodbye are my absolute favourites.

i've had gay friends (and i'm gay too) shun me once i've said i don't like madonna... real mature
  • I too am a homosexy, and once did not like Madonna (I was always more of a Kylie person).  But these days i've grown to like some of her stuff.

How can you not like American Life or Confessions? :P
  • Gaelen said:

I too am a homosexy, and once did not like Madonna (I was always more of a Kylie person).  But these days i've grown to like some of her stuff.

How can you not like American Life or Confessions? :P

oh - it happens naturally believe me
  • She's marmite for sure, but credit where credit is due, she's a fantastic pop songstress who spans four decades, even if some of that spannage includes some mediocre music.
  • I like M when she's not trying to be "edgy", a.k.a wearing grills and dry-humping strippers wearing nun habits. Witnessing that Rebel Heart tour in person was something else... and it felt the whole time like she was screaming for attention, though she doesn't need to given her talent! I think there's a reason she relies so much on a huge spectacle a la Michael Jackson - she's afraid of her new material and tries to find solace in the stripper poles shaped like crosses and huge flashy props. But she does NOT need any of it. She was so alive, vibrant and clearly enjoying herself singing Like A Virgin and True Blue - it was like she opened a time capsule! She'd have gotten more applause if she had stopped calling us drunks and dry-humping everything and just belted out a few lines of Frozen! When she's just herself in a raw, personal form it's the most beautiful sound and atmosphere in the world. Very healing and reflective. Again, songs such as Power of Goodbye, Rain, Gone and Live to Tell come to mind. Often I think it's label and industry pressure that spews out "songs" such as Bitch, I'm Madonna or Give Me All Your Luvin', but unless if I'm mistaken her contract was just fulfilled with Rebel Heart.

So maybe she'll just go back to that "other" kind of M music again instead of the shock value. I miss Ray of Light and American Life M so much. Ok, rant over! Lol.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-08 20:30:49
  • Ahaha at "homosexy"  =)) ! Speaking of Madonna (mind you, this is coming from one of her biggest fans, like I'm surprised I don't have a giant tattoo of her across my back), I like to pretend Confessions was her last album (her best/my favorite, after American Life)... everything post COADF makes me sad/embarrassed (second-hand embarrassment from the aura of desperateness which is SO distracting to me and hard to get past). Basically, I've adopted the "#IDontKnowHer" mentality whenever I come across her new material lol
  • @Slippage, YASS, exactly! 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!