Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • @Gaelen, I'm a bit confused by your critique of Become The One... I thought the only John producer on the new album is John Congleton, and not John Grant?
  • Slippage said:

Low said:

Low said:

Calling a Goldfrapp track is utterly horrible is like accusing somebody of murder. You have to be really, really sure that's it's true and tbh it's probably not.

well i didn't like 'anymore' when i heard the clip yet somehow the song has been on repeat on my iPod ever since the full track came out... odd how that happens isn't it? 

Yeah that's cool when that happens. Feel like you're trying to make a point.

Fair enough. To me, in my opinion, the track sounds horrible in comparison to what the rest of the album sounds like. That being said, it is only a minute-long snippet and it could just be a poorly selected section of the track. Could have a killer chorus or sudden abrupt changes.

Still, can't be expected to like every song they produce. Can't tell you the backlash I've received from countless Madonna fans for not being able to stand specific songs, or from Cher fans for liking certain ones.
    Just can't win! 

Lol. That being said, the album is sounding fantastic altogether. Very glad I pre-ordered, as always.

I'm really shocked that Zodiac Black isn't something akin to Strict Machine, as others and myself had expected/hoped. The middle of the album feels pretty damn saggy without an uptempo bump between the chunk of slower songs if we're going by the snippets.

Hey, I never said you weren't allowed to call it what you want but doing so on a 1 minute snippet always seems a bit pointless to me.  >:D< Maybe the songs just explode near the end, we don't know. And won't hopefully until the end of March.

• Gaelen said:

Off-topic, but out of interest, what Madonna songs are in question here? :P

Oh, there's no way I'll let that slip out! Lol. I've been sent enough insult-laden messages in all-caps over it. I will say that Confessions and Ray of Light are brilliant albums, and songs such as Gone, You'll See, Live To Tell and The Power of Goodbye are my absolute favourites.
  • Low said:

Slippage said:

Low said:

Low said:

Hey, I never said you weren't allowed to call it what you want but doing so on a 1 minute snippet always seems a bit pointless to me.  >:D< Maybe the songs just explode near the end, we don't know. And won't hopefully until the end of March.

Oh, but don't think I'm trying to be defensive! If anything I agree with your points, so please don't take my response the wrong way. It's so much harder to sound human and peaceable online than in person...

I agree completely that we will know more in March, and that's just fine with me. Like I also said (and agree with you about), it's only minute-long snippets for now, and the song in question could change as it goes along. At any rate, I'm looking forward to the video tomorrow - very Mad Max Fury Road!
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-08 18:07:44

• @Gaelen, I'm a bit confused by your critique of Become The One... I thought the only John producer on the new album is John Congleton, and not John Grant?

I might not have projected what I meant clearly.  I never meant John Grant was the producer, but the producer who produced Grant's album Pale Green Ghosts (which is actually the one you mentioned, John Congleton) is who I was referring to as being a one trick pony in reference to that particular album.

I suppose when we have the wonderful duo to compare against (who seldom repeat) then it makes life more difficult. 

@Slippage - If you had said MDNA, or perhaps some of Rebel Heart we might have been onto something.
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-02-08 18:06:59
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • @Gaelen Ah, gotchya! I do totally hear the similarities as well between Become The One and Pale Green Ghosts
  • Gaelen said:

@Slippage - If you had said MDNA, or perhaps some of Rebel Heart we might have been onto something.

There's actually quite a bit of MDNA and RH that I love (Inside Out, Ghosttown, Falling Free, etc.). I actually saw M on the RH tour in Toronto (first time!) and she was fantastic. Not worth the $600 for two seats, mind you, but she definitely put on a stunning show even if it felt forced. I wish I could have made it to the MDNA tour...

But I digress. 
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-08 18:11:49
  • On the topic of that album/producer, Alison singing something down the lines of this would go down a treat.

@Slippage - I only like Turn Up the Radio off MDNA (however i've not listened to much of the album).  I like a majority of Rebel Heart, but I know some of the 'critics' hammer it, party due to the difference between the final release and the leaks.
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-02-08 18:14:34
  • @Gaelen Ooo yess, totally!
    Also, ever since you've posted about John Grant today, I've looked him up and started to listen and really like his work! So thank you :) 
  • You're welcome Ryan  :)

Someone else on here actually introduced me to something recently because it sounded a bit like Alison, which is a little hidden gem called BEA1991.  

The song that sounds like Alison is called 'Hinterland'.
  • Slightly off topic... sorry if this has been mentioned before somewhere here in the forum, but the album cover (aside from obviously looking like a painting from René Magritte) is totally giving me vibes of the Outer Limits' "Cry of Silence" episode... see a still here... image

@Gaelen Ooo thanks again for the musical recommendation, I will definitely give it a listen :) !
  • Slightly off topic... sorry if this has been mentioned before somewhere here in the forum, but the album cover (aside from obviously looking like a painting from René Magritte) is totally giving me vibes of the Outer Limits' "Cry of Silence" episode... see a still here... ">

Maybe that's exactly what it's about!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-02-08 18:43:04
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Vicious attacks by tumbleweed
  • Off-topic, but out of interest, what Madonna songs are in question here? :P
    Slippage said:

Oh, there's no way I'll let that slip out! Lol. I've been sent enough insult-laden messages in all-caps over it. I will say that Confessions and Ray of Light are brilliant albums, and songs such as Gone, You'll See, Live To Tell and The Power of Goodbye are my absolute favourites.

i've had gay friends (and i'm gay too) shun me once i've said i don't like madonna... real mature
  • I too am a homosexy, and once did not like Madonna (I was always more of a Kylie person).  But these days i've grown to like some of her stuff.

How can you not like American Life or Confessions? :P

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!