Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • One minute snippets of each track leaked on youtube.

Link (not live for long - hurry): 
    If it's taken down, I've got it Firefoxed to my hard drive for those curious to hear (don't hurt me, non-spoiler and copyright people!).

My synopsis:

SPOILER WARNING

Systemagic will be the next single, without a doubt.This is the album's killer app. Tiptoe meets Train.
    Tigerman is a lush and swirling track, very akin to Pilots. Gorgeous and rumbling.
    Become The One is the strangest track I've heard by them. Not liking the vocal treatment at all. Need to hear more though - perhaps it's salvageable. As it stands, though, I think it's utterly horrible and could have been something really special.
    Faux Suede Drifter is very much like Let It Take You. Almost like a sequel. A swooning upper-range ballad that nearly brought tears to my eyes. I've been hoping they'd make another song that sounds like LITY.
    Zodiac Black - which I'd have hoped would be another banger track - is another slow song with some synths and deep bass sprinkled in. Not sure what to think of this one. The slower songs have a samey-ness to them in my opinion.
    Beast That Never Was is a mid-tempo piece similar in structure and sound to Deep Honey, at least I find. Nice Yellow Halo type of vocal treatment.
    Everything Is Never Enough finally picks up the pace and has a very Believer feel to it, but with stronger vocals. In fact, I get a Head First vibe from much of the album when it comes to the synth and bass treatment.
    Moon In Your Mouth is a slower, growling pleasure. Very groovy. Emphasis on Alison's vocals (distorted for much of the album, by the way, but not too overdone mostly).
    Ocean is my favourite on the album. VERY Thea in the way it builds to a booming chorus. Sounds EXACTLY like something straight out of TRON: Legacy's soundtrack. Fucking glorious.

Overall, the album has an atmosphere similar to Head First meets Black Cherry with a peppering of TRON: Legacy and Perfect Dark soundtracks (as I predicted so long ago! Yes!). Not comparable to Supernature at all. Don't expect every song to be Strict Machine or Ooh La La.

In fact, it feels like a mushing of different sounds to create a cohesive atmosphere where everything actually fits nicely together and mingles well. Strange, but beautiful.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-08 13:47:34
  • For those curious to what 'Tigerman' sounds a bit like without hearing it, here's a 14 Y/O track from Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness to hint to you :P

Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Gaelen said:

For those curious to what 'Tigerman' sounds a bit like without hearing it, here's a 14 Y/O track from Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness to hint to you :P

Yep. Pretty much exactly that.

I hope people aren't mad that I shared the snippets! Just too tempting a morsel to pass up sharing.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-08 13:42:18
  • To be fair, I don't think they give away everything.  They are only snippets, and there's a few of them that you can tell are just getting somewhere before cutting off, so there's still much to experience come March 31st.

Also, if there is a bonus track, then there's still that to come as well.  Hopefully along with other mixes too!

I for one won't be listening to the snippets again though, in order to give me time to listen to them fresh in a couple months time but this time in full form.  At least we/I have a better understanding of what we are in for now though, so no overhyping.
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-02-08 13:52:38
  • Hey all
    I'm entering the confessional.
    An Australian contact emailed me last week with this link to ZDigital and told me of the one minute samples. Since then, I've emailed Mute twice and tweeted them to tell them but they have shown no interest at all. I never sent them the link, as I did not want to put it on open media. Now ZDigital has been taken down but not before it has migrated to YouTube. They only have themselves to blame as my first mail to them was last Saturday. I knew it would leak out ! I agree with some here that we should try to resist such temptation.
    Anyway, thanks John C. You did the right thing.
    It all started with a Snake and an Apple!
    Three Hail Mary's ok?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I agree with what everyone's saying.

Frankly, the snippets are now out there and will endlessly leak regardless.

Still, I hope my sharing them won't be frowned upon! If you don't want to hear, then just ignore it and don't listen, that's all! Lol. I'm sure it's all over the internet now anyway.

Though if it upsets people, I'll just remove the link.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-02-08 14:29:01
  • Ohhh I caved in and had a listen. Its great.
    Post edited by thathurt at 2017-02-08 14:38:49
  • alex_f said:

Exciting :)

Gosh, I'd kill for a b-side as well!

Please dont ;) I can't remember the last time I bought a song with a b side.
  • Loving the shots from the video.imageimage
  • Gorgeous!! So excited.
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • For anyone with a musical bent, the tracks shape up as follows:
    Anymore 120 BPM
    Systemagic 96 BPM
    Tigerman 92 BPM
    Become the One 144 BPM (Compared to Train and Twist at 136 BPM) Has a Pale Green Ghost feel in the synth.
    Faux Suede Drifter 120 BPM
    Zodiac Black 88 BPM
    Beast That Never Was 96 BPM
    Everything Is Never Enough 144 BPM
    Moon In Your Mouth 82 BPM
    Ocean 108 BPM
  • Wee Alison enjoying a languish in the sun, vol. 1
  • And the YT link has been pulled too!
  • Odd that Mute never responded to you!?

Fascination management didn't get back to me either BTW. Do they still cover Goldfrapp? Well, their webpage seems to say so (albeit an old pic)... http://www.fascinationmanagement.com/
  • missed the clips, probably a good thing 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!