Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • Yep. But nothing else so far.

That all sounds very reasonable, Slippage.
    However I already gave up any chart hopes. Then again charts or let's say awards in general are only as interesting or nice/meaningful/important as the contenders or those who already got one. And as (single) charts recently are rather a big pile of s, I personally wouldn't bother them not showing up there.
    Not saying I don't wish them any success.

Anyone set to record bbc6 in the morning?
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2017-01-12 18:35:59
    Be patient.
  • I fully agree, HolyOwl!

Nevertheless, if the album is upbeat "machine pop" as described in MOJO's February issue, then it will be very,
    very highly marketable. No reason this can't be as successful in Western culture as Supernature was, if not more so. That being said, I share your inability to care about chart numbers, and I'm sure Alison and Will feel similarly. It already seems that Mute is pushing Goldfrapp's name for #7 far more than the last two eras, mind you (Twitter, for example). To me, it looks as if they intend to invest substantially more into promo compared to ToU and HF (which they damn well ought to do if they respect the project enough, honestly).

The key thing if they want #7 to sell well is the initial promo and the first single choice, with consistently strong promo afterwards to entice festivals and theatres to book the band. That first single is the one that makes the impression - the others are fan-pleasers, really (and that's ok!). If they want to bring new listeners in (and who wouldn't), it needs to hook.

All of this being said, I agree that charts and awards themselves are pointless. I've felt this way since Head First was nominated for a Grammy and it lost to f*****g La Roux. SERIOUSLY. (I still can't quite get over that choice).

For me, the important thing is for the album to do well enough to keep the band financially secure and on good terms with management/labels from a marketability standpoint so they can keep doing what they love without business-related stresses impacting their creative direction. I love that they can do what they enjoy, and I believe that this album, if marketed correctly, will very much secure their future. They could do whatever they wanted for their next project without restrictions imposed by either funds or label pressure.

I personally believe #7 will be the final upbeat, electro-dance album by the band. I wonder if it may be massively marketed and toured to rake in loads of money - one last massive hurrah before retreating into lush velvet soundscapes. Then, the band might continue on into their sixties making Tales of Us / Seventh Tree types of projects, and perhaps even films with Lisa's beautiful camerawork.

That was difficult, separating numbers and charts from public interest and marketability! Hopefully I did a half-decent job and didn't just blabber on incessantly there.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-01-12 19:05:19
  • i don't give a shit about all the speculation i just need ART to keep me alive right now....i feel nothing but hopelessness at age 50 with the white nationalist rise world wide...yes selfish stating that here..and i don't fucking care...get on with it...release news quick...twin peaks 2017 and goldfrapp 7 are the only things to look forward to in life right now 

flame me rake me i don't fucking care 
  • I can't say I don't share the same sentiment that I hope something happens tomorrow. I'm the type of person to feel way more excited in a positive way (rather than sort of anxious way) when there's at least an album title/cover/date. I won't be terribly upset if it doesn't happen though, I have a feeling from the images that this will be an album I am really interested in, not that any Goldfrapp album hasn't held my interest. I just hope for some finality and security soon with a proper announcement (a single wouldn't hurt either).
    Post edited by glenolabar at 2017-01-13 01:49:18
  • Somebody needs to crack the password to goldfrapp.com/store  ;))
  • I can't say I don't share the same sentiment that I hope something happens tomorrow. I'm the type of person to feel way more excited in a positive way (rather than sort of anxious way) when there's at least an album title/cover/date. I won't be terribly upset if it doesn't happen though, I have a feeling from the images that this will be an album I am really interested in, not that any Goldfrapp album hasn't held my interest. I just hope for some finality and security soon with a proper announcement (a single wouldn't hurt either).

I agree completely. All we can do is wait.

For me, discussing the album's theme or having fun speculating in the meantime is my way of coping with this incredibly long period anticipating the announcement of the album itself. Not everyone will share the same sentiment, mind you, and I respect that. 

This wait is absolute hell, really. Still, I can't bring myself to get frustrated and anxious about it anymore. Tales of Us drained me excruciatingly in that regard and I don't want to get drained again like I did then.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-01-13 02:09:03
  • If the bloody xx steal Goldfrapp's thunder I will not be pleased.

Would be ridiculous if they did as Frapp are a thousand times more interesting than they will ever be.

• stevil said:

flame me rake me i don't fucking care 

sounds like a song:
    Flame me, rake me, I don't fucking care,
    As long as you love me, it's all right! :-\"
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-01-13 08:11:33
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Save this space for later ;)
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-01-13 08:14:00
  • i hear crickets...
  • i hear crickets...

Probably Tinnitus ! Obviously, one Goldfrapp swallow did not a Summer make today !
  • I'm extra excited as this is the longest gap there's ever been before a new Goldfrapp release. Other albums at least had B-Sides, covers, Live DVD's, Single Compilations... been Radio silence on the Goldfrapp front for at least 2 years now. Can't wait to know what's been cooking in that time.

• Lets hope we finally get to hear something soon
  • https://instagram.com/p/BPNVMmCjog_/

Found this under #goldfrapp7 hashtag. It doesn't sound like Alison to me.
  • Nahhh thats not Frapp... That clip is this 
    Shazam identified it as being 'BEA1991 - Hinterland' Which tbh does sound pretty good!
    You can hear the clip from 3.30 onwards :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!