Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Human demo
  • 49 Comments sorted by
  • Low said:

Whenever Rocket was first released, it was an utter shit show. Been a long time since I saw a group of fans collapse on itself like that.

Oh, enlighten us Low so we can avoid that particular pitfall again.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Urban_Tribesman said: Low said:Whenever Rocket was first released, it was an utter shit show. Been a long time since I saw a group of fans collapse on itself like that.
    Oh, enlighten us Low so we can avoid that particular pitfall again.

I'm not totally sure on the details because it was a long time ago now (nearly 7 years Jesus Christ) but from what I can remember it all stemmed from the change in sound. 
    Head First was not at all well received by a good few initially and it somehow spiralled from general discussions of distaste to full-on arguments.
    I remember someone making a thread about how Rocket wasn't a bad song and it was just pages full of arguing. I get the feeling there was an insult or two thrown around but I honestly couldn't tell if it was good natured or not, I'd been on the board for less than a year at that point. Perhaps somebody who was around back then can remember more, seeing as a few seem to be coming back now!

Also, so many jabs about Head First being campy and "gay". Like honestly, so many. There was even one about how Alison's collar on the album cover looked like a penis. But I guess that's not really a pitfall depending on your standpoint :P

Long story short, if we want to avoid these pitfalls; be kind and open minded, don't tease Alan, and don't f*cking call yourself "Mirror". :) 

• Yup, you're in your twenties if you think 7 years is a long time....
  • And, for god's sake, don't reply to mirror if it shows up.
  • There was me hoping that original 'Human' demo had been posted on youtube.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Is that where AG is dressed as a maid as I have that somewhere.
  • Low said:

Long story short, if we want to avoid these pitfalls; be kind and open minded, don't tease Alan, and don't f*cking call yourself "Mirror". :) 

Well said, particularly agree with the being kind and open minded...enough said really
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

I had read of an early demo version of 'Human', in the Wikipedia entry, it now turns out that it was a recording Alison had made on her own, and Wil was very impressed which lead to them writing 'Lovely Head' together.

Either way it would be fascinating to hear the demo tracks prior to Goldfrapp being signed to Mute.

The maid video was the promo for the single , pretty sinister as I recall. To be honest I have never been much of a fan of the music promo video, but certainly wouldn't give anyone grief  for feeling otherwise. I like some of the Goldfrapp promos more than I like a lot of music promo videos though.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2017-01-05 18:58:44
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Lovely Head was actually written with another band Alison was with before Goldfrapp ;)
  • rewak said:

Lovely Head was actually written with another band Alison was with before Goldfrapp ;)

Some lyrics in LH are from older times, yes
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • This was a funny read, I quite like Head First but then I also quite like Kylie and am a homosexual homosapien, which might help for it to filter through my brain like a fine wine as opposed to vomit like it did some other peeps.  How someone cannot appreciate Voicething - particularly towards the end of the song (2:58) when it opens up into a vast, emotional sound - is beyond me.  Especially if you love Goldfrapp!

To be on topic, are any of the demos available?  I have all of the b-sides, as well as Seventh Tree & Supernature instrumentals.  Curious if I could get more :D 

EDIT:  The whole fine wine/vomit thing was sarcasm BTW.  I for one do not believe that you have to be of any particular sexuality to enjoy a type of music, no matter how synth heavy :P 
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-01-06 16:07:45
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • I love Head First and have received some finger pointing for it, I don't bother telling people their music taste is shit, but no energy to care because we live in a very finger pointing society sadly.

I'll be honest, I had read on Wikipedia years ago about supposed demos to Mute of Human, given a discussion elsewhere about the nature of Wikipedia, I was had... shit happens. Nonetheless I would love to see deluxe releases of all previous Goldfrapp albums which include unheard demos, I can't think what fan/collector wouldn't
    ;;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

I had read of an early demo version of 'Human', in the Wikipedia entry, it now turns out that it was a recording Alison had made on her own, and Wil was very impressed which lead to them writing 'Lovely Head' together.

Either way it would be fascinating to hear the demo tracks prior to Goldfrapp being signed to Mute.

The maid video was the promo for the single , pretty sinister as I recall. To be honest I have never been much of a fan of the music promo video, but certainly wouldn't give anyone grief  for feeling otherwise. I like some of the Goldfrapp promos more than I like a lot of music promo videos though.

Not a demo, but a very eary version

• While we are at it

• I'm scratching my head as to why that's an early version of Human, I believe it's the single mix which came out a good few months down the line from Felt Mountain, but am all ears if you have inside information...
    :ar!
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!