Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 176 Comments sorted by
  • I really like HF because it is just in a different vein of music. It's much more lighthearted than their other releases which makes it something special as well. It is not so artistic like their other albums but I can't see anything wrong with diving in the more lightweight music. HF is still a pop record better than most of the stuff you'd compare it with. It definately sounds more 80's than most of the bunch who approached that sound.
  • iuventus said:

Head First is a great album; it just doesn't quite fit into the continuum of what we consider the Goldfrapp opera. Perhaps, it should have been released as an Alison Goldfrapp solo album.

.....or as a Scissor Sisters side project?
    >:) :D

It was fun, not cheesy.      image
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-06-12 03:48:08
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

iuventus said:

Head First is a great album; it just doesn't quite fit into the continuum of what we consider the Goldfrapp opera. Perhaps, it should have been released as an Alison Goldfrapp solo album.

.....or as a Scissor Sisters side project?
    >:) :D

It was fun, not cheesy.      image

Too much FUN! FUN! FUN! can be exhausting though....or maybe that is just me... ;)
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • i guess it was their way of pleasing the record company. putting something out there to appeal to a wider audience and get them a little more cash. You have your poppy stuff, and then you have gorgeous things like voice thing. i think at the time, as Alison said that wasn't really a particularly good year for her either.

compare it to something like the new record... they haven't been rushed, it feels like the record company have given them control over what they do. plus the fact that i think Lisa has become a great asset in both alison's life personally and Goldfrapp's life creatively :)
    Post edited by cookiee_munster at 2013-06-12 04:10:34
  • It did seem to have a rushed element to it...which seemed to not work too well for KB - Lionheart although that also had gems like Wow, In the warm room and K from Baghdad...then time passed and we were treated to Never for ever and The Dreaming!!!!!!  :D :D :D
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • It's a lovely album but it's my least favorite. 
    I have a question. How rare is the record store day cassette? 
  • I really do wish you'd edit the title of the thread though lol.

This! Why the shouting?
  • Well, for what it's worth, I still don't like Head First -- at all.
  • Wooow had forgotten about the cassette
  • I love the album as much as all the others...maybe I'm being a bit cagey by not stating an out and out favourite, but I have always appreciated the fact that each of Goldfrapp's albums suit different moods and occasions...and I think their creative flexibility is what makes them stand so high above the mainstream crowd. I play HF when I need a bit of cheering up, and it does it for me! I don't paint in the same style all the time, so why would I expect my favourite musicians to create the same kind of music all the time? In a nutshell - they can do no wrong xx
  • I'm fond of Head First and keep it in rotation. There's some very nice, well-crafted music in there. If it has a problem, in my opinion, it's that they nailed the concept too well. Some of its songs really could have been 80s radio hits and as much as I enjoyed a little Olivia Newton-John back in the day... :) Okay, maybe I still enjoy a little ONJ too.
  • "it just doesn't quite fit into the continuum"

All G albums are"explo(r and/or t)ation of era/scene X", e(X) if you will. HF = e(80s)

"VoiceThing ... doesnt seem to fit"

Laurie Anderson - O Superman (1981)

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Now that a few years have passed, I don't think Head First will stick up as well as albums like Felt Mountain or Seventh Tree. Head first is a good album, it's really got some great moments, textures and some memorable hooks. Very colourful fun stuff, but overall an album like this can never be as captivating or interesting as FM/ST. If I'm ever looking for some synth pop or electro/80's-ish music HF is the first place I'd go because it does it so well. It's still good, It's still Goldfrapp, but it hasn't made me truly feel the kind of emotions I feel when listening to some of the other stuff they've done, so I can understand where Alison is coming from. I would never call it a bad album or be the least bit ashamed of it. After all, all it does is prove they can be successful at putting there mind to a particular genre and nailing it, too bad the genre didn't have as much depth as what we know Goldfrapp are capable of.

That being said, I absolutely adore the sounds created in Shiny & Warm, and the real ethereal parts of dreaming, hunt, etc.
  • It's a lovely album but it's my least favorite. 

I have a question. How rare is the record store day cassette? 

I don't know how rare it is, but the last time I was in Sister Ray a few weeks ago they had a copy, going for about £8 I think, sorry if that's not much help.
    Do you own one and have you ever actually played it? It was quite a novel idea to release an 80's influenced album on cassette I guess, personally I am not a big fan of the cassette format, though they bring back memories,etc
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Yep, I actually just bought it. I'm not gonna play it or open it thought, it's a just a collector item to me. I paid it £ 14.99 with shipping, I guess it's a fair price. I live in Italy and as far as I know it wasn't released here for Record Store Day and I haven't seen it on ebay in a long time. I'm actually a child of the cassettes years (I'm 30) so it's a great memories item to me, and Head First was the perfect album for it since it's basically an album from the 80s.
    Post edited by electrosamurai at 2013-06-12 14:29:05

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!