Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • it has begun

#Dallas 
  • 23 Comments sorted by
  • RIP JFK
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • I agree Stevil. It's been on the cards for years. God knows when and how it will all " end". Are you American? I feel desperately sorry for decent peace loving Americans, the ones who abhor gun violence and ownership.
  • yes i live in California at least that is some consolation 
  • I've been drawn to looking at more YouTube shite about the end of the world, Bible prophecies and all that, I can't help myself lol. It's a guilty masochistic thing I do. Apparently the world is going to end on July 29th ( again!). Which is a bit of a bummer as it's the same day Jesus is making his return apparently. Wouldn't you think in this day and age Jesus would have better time keeping, an app or something? Anyway...I'm going to get busy!
  • It's a good job we know Ms Frapp is an atheist. I'd be excommunicated!
  • Obviously a bit of a fuck up with JC's diary. You would think being the Son of God, he would have better admin.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • The latest attack in France is obviously horrific and shocking . But do I want to " see the shocking images" on AOL, taken by witnesses and posted on social media? If I choose to click, what does that say about me? I'm sick of the Internet and social media de-sensitising the masses in this way. Before families of the bereaved even get to hear of their losses, the pictures are splattered for all to see. How many times do we see people taking selfies of themselves ( sometimes smiling?!) at the scenes of horrific events? Seems to me that increasingly many people are craving, enjoying shock. And that's all part of the plan. Wrong thread.
  • KatRobin said:

The latest attack in France is obviously horrific and shocking . But do I want to " see the shocking images" on AOL, taken by witnesses and posted on social media? If I choose to click, what does that say about me? I'm sick of the Internet and social media de-sensitising the masses in this way. Before families of the bereaved even get to hear of their losses, the pictures are splattered for all to see. How many times do we see people taking selfies of themselves ( sometimes smiling?!) at the scenes of horrific events? Seems to me that increasingly many people are craving, enjoying shock. And that's all part of the plan. Wrong thread.

It's so hard to try and avoid all this terrible news but at the same time keep informed about what's going on in the world. It's a constant struggle between the two for me. Do I want to know what's happening on another part of the same planet I live on and get depressed and upset when I hear it? Or do I want to just be as ignorant as possible to spare myself the ordeal?
    I can't find a good balance between the two yet. But one thing I have realised is that if you're going to look at these news articles, distance yourself from ones that contain the words "graphic", "shocking" or "disturbing" in relation to content. It makes it so much worse when that horror is made readily available to public eyes. Some serious boundaries are crossed when we make it instantly available online for everyone to see.

• I never get past the headlines of the sensationalist topics (which means I don't click).  You're right, Kat, the media are so driven by making a buck through clicks.  It seems to me that, in some cases, they are only exacerbating the situation.  To go to one from long, long ago, the fear in the U.S. about abduction of children is in large part due to the media making a big thing about it.  The vast majority of child abductions is due to parents.  In a more recent topic, all of the killings in the U.S. by cops and of cops, it seems clear to me that the media is certainly fanning the flames, causing outrage that is not necessary.  They seldom bother to get into the journalistic details that might actually change something because people won' click on that.  So, who's at fault, the media or the people clicking?
  • KatRobin said:

The latest attack in France is obviously horrific and shocking . But do I want to " see the shocking images" on AOL, taken by witnesses and posted on social media? If I choose to click, what does that say about me? I'm sick of the Internet and social media de-sensitising the masses in this way. Before families of the bereaved even get to hear of their losses, the pictures are splattered for all to see. How many times do we see people taking selfies of themselves ( sometimes smiling?!) at the scenes of horrific events? Seems to me that increasingly many people are craving, enjoying shock. And that's all part of the plan. Wrong thread.

If you see that Kat, you should beat them to death and then take a selfie of the scene. Poetic justice there.
  • I understand it was in the Place de Anglais, which is where our apartment was when we did our week trip along the South of France in May when we pitched up in Nice to go to the Monte Carlo historic GP.
    If that is what religion is, you can shove it up your arse. It seems to be some form of Psychosis.
  • And mass hypnosis.
  • The older I get the more cynical I become. The 'media' completely control what the masses understand / believe. I personally don't believe anything I see or hear from media outlets. I guess that's why oppressive regimes surpress academics and free thinkers because they will always question and challenge. So be careful you lot - come the revolution there may be a knock at the door!

France has a huge problem with the numbers of North African immigrants mainly Muslim and tends to deport 30-40K a year. That said this is an Islamic Fundamentalist issue rather than the general Muslim populous and I believe the only way to resolve this is for ordinary Muslims to take back control.

I understand it was in the Place de Anglais, which is where our apartment was when we did our week trip along the South of France in May when we pitched up in Nice to go to the Monte Carlo historic GP.

During said trip we were hoofed off the train early coming back from Mont Carlo in a predominantly Muslim district of Nice left to find our own way back to the apartment. Looking like a shoal of fish out off water no one gave us a second glance even in the supermarket collecting the evenings snacks & libations - so it's not all bad (or are we just lucky?)
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Appy61 said:

I believe the only way to resolve this is for ordinary Muslims to take back control.

I like the sentiment a lot.  The same, actually, could be said of Christians (at least in the U.S., as well).  I don't know about taking control but, at least, becoming very vocal.  And, I wonder if it isn't already happening but that the media just doesn't find it sensational enough.  How much would the press pay attention to people howling their lungs out about the idiocy of any fundamentalist movement?  It's much more sensational and probably bound to get a lot more clicks if something is blown up or someone is run over.

I don't know what y'all think of government controlled media but I kinda like it.  At least, until humanity quits acting like a pouty child, we need some intelligent intervention into our unlimited stupidity as a species.

• I don't know what y'all think of government controlled media but I kinda like it.  At least, until humanity quits acting like a pouty child, we need some intelligent intervention into our unlimited stupidity as a species.

And just imagine, there are people out there who look at the whole situation and think, "We need Trump to fix this!"
    Post edited by Low at 2016-07-17 11:06:02

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!