Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 143 Comments sorted by
  • For " died" in line 4 read " sued".
  • Gosh, Kat.  That was GREAT!  So many cool expressions I've never heard.  Naffness?!!?!  Close to the knuckle!!?!?!  Altogether, that was the most fascinating insight into Britsh culture I've ever seen.  In a single short paragraph!  Amazing.  I mean, that you have illusions on the tellie?  That you have idiots that try to do chat shows (not that uncommon, I guess).  I mean, I don't mean to sound like an Anglophile, it's just that I am always so fascinated the differences in culture that it would be easy to call me a Anglophile, Francophile, Japanophile, just about any culture really.  I guess that it's just that english makes the British Isles a little easier to understand.
  • Lol. So are you clear on what the word " naff" / " naffness" means now WW?! If David Copperfield doesn't encapsulate it for you, then Donal Trump's Barnet might. Barnet! Oh dear! There I go again! You want some Cockney rhyming slang? Syrup of gigs? Wig!!
  • Syrup of figs even!!!
  • The Daily Mail is a British newspaper that is notoriously cynical ( :D ) but also right wing ( X( ).
  • Me favorite.

"Trafalgar is a zombie. It's rhyming slang innit?"

"How is it?"

"Well, Trafalgar Square; fox and hare; hairy Greek; five-day week; weak and feeble; pins and needles; needle and stitch; Abercrombie and Fitch; Abercrombie... Zombie!"

~ Cockney's vs Zombies
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Wow!  You hit me so many!  WowWoWWOW!  I promise, I'll look them all up.  Yeah, I got naff.  I just love the internet.  Soooo much info at one's fingertips!
  • Good use of "barnet".  Syrup of gigs I get.  There's no way I can figure out "wigs".  But, then again, it could be that I've been up for 24 hours.  Heck!  I can't even type!  This is equivalent to typing a long paragraph on a normal day.
  • KatRobin said:

Syrup of figs even!!!

Syrup of gigs LMAO. All the best gigs you have been to, puréed into a fine ambrosia!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • My favourite is when you hear little old ladies refer to someone as a berk.
    That's rhyming slang as well ! =))
  • I love slang. When I was at school, my teachers would tell my parents that young Urban used too much slang in his language as I read too many comics. Well, from the age of about 6, I read and collected and still have in boxes and boxes, American comics. I loved Batman, Superman, Justice League, Flash etc. Still do and still collect Batman and Detective comics every month.
    Tell you what, that kid knew the meaning of words like Tsunami from that age thanks to those comics !
    Teach! Stick it up your arse, no- one gives a shit !
  • The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
  • Oh, man, all these great phrases!  Those comic books must be worth a fortune.
  • I've got extremely well tanned plates at the moment WW ( in fact a rather splendid all over tan lol thanks to being off work and having a private garden lol): you can have fun looking that one up.
  • Feet?  I was getting all excited looking it up....You thought you could trip me up, didn't you, Kat?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!