Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 277 Comments sorted by
  • Even today, Norman Tebbit says he, Thatcher and their hideous crew were right to call Nelson Mandela a "terrorist". As odiously mean-spirited, closed-minded and self-important as ever.  
  • Into Cameron and Osbourne's second term now, we have become habituated to Tory scumbaggery. The relentless attacks on the marginalised, the attacks on the NHS, the corruption (a great article in this week's LRB on Cameron's dealings with the Russia's murderous mafia capitalists here).

So this week's response to the imminent closure of the British steel industry is hardly surprising. But it's still disgusting. Cameron and co are happy to pour billions of public funds into the pockets of their mates in the banking business, but won't consider a fraction of that to nationalise Tata and preserve the jobs of thousands of steel workers. Not their sort of people, see. Then they blame the EU when its been the Tories who have pressured the EU to facilitate imports of cheap Chinese steel in the first place.

Fuckers.

• :-SS well said.
    I'm afraid that now I've sat down with a coffee and a dog on my lap I'm about to start a rant!
    The Teaching Profession- lies, lies, lies, all Tory media lies. There is a MASSIVE teacher shortage / retention and recruitment disaster looming, as anyone who is unfortunate enough to be in the profession will tell you. This job ( while I'm still happy being a teacher) has nearly cost me my relationship with Catherine because of the ridiculous amounts of pressure, stress, workload, devaluing of teachers, shall I go on...
    Catherine works 12 hour days in the school building every day, comes home, works again, gets about four hours sleep on average, works again. Gets constant criticism from colleagues, parents..no time for us as a couple whatsoever. She works weekends, all weekend. My life consists of lonely walks with the dogs on my own 90% of the time. Then, in my own job, to give you an idea of what it's Really like to be a teacher these days...last day of term, drugs incidents, police involvement..bag checks for knives..
    I no longer teach he olde subjects like geography and history! Oh no...nowadays I've been trained to teach lessons re mental health, self harm, domestic violence, radicalisation, sexual abuse and rape in sex ed lessons..( just a flavour). Basically all the dysfunctional problems in our society fall into the laps of people like me to try to deal with. No wonder I get bloody depressed sometimes.
    But now we have enforced academisation, teachers can expect less value in society, less pay for longer hours, having to pick up the pieces when classes are " taught" by unqualified staff. And abuse via Facebook, jealousy over our extortionate amount of "holiday"(!) ...oh God, tell me to shut up before I bust a blood vessel.
    ( takes sip of coffee and a deep breath)
    Then we have the Medical Profession....who the f/&£ would be a nurse or a junior doctor these days either? Unless you work in one of these professions you have no idea of the truth, just the spin that is vomited out by Tory wankers on the news. In case you didn't see the UK news last night, gP referrals are up something like 122% over the last five years ( I think it was 5), while nurse recruitment is going down. I actually feel Guilty when I see my GP, I feel like a burden on the NHS for needing treatment.
    Then we have the Police service. If you can remember what that is. Enough said.
    All these jobs that will be lost through the collapse of the steel industry are just the tip of the iceberg. Whole towns will go into decline with the loss of small businesses and satellite industries. 400 people queueing up per single job in the Aston Martin factory yesterday? Well if that doesn't say it all I don't know what does. Someone somewhere is driving these cars, that'll be the Tory scum.
    This country is heading back into the dark ages. There'll soon be no NHS, no welfare state whatsoever, no police or recognisable judicial system...just rising rates of suicide among the marginalised and bankrupt, martial law and the death of the environment as we once knew it.
    Am I being a doom monger? No, just a realist. ( and in a lot of pain today, so forgive my rants).
  • Ha ha! No replies, oh come on, I want a bun fight here! Shall we talk EU Referendums anyone?!
    ( sits back and watches the tumbleweed roll past).
  • I wrote a couple of replies, but deleted them as I didnt want to sound too much of a suck-up.

EU referendums? Well, I guess its a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. EU membership used to seem a good thing for us, as it pushed us adopt progressive social measures. But the EU seems to have lurched rightwards in recent years eg Germany crushing Greece's attempts to adopt  anti-austerity measures, the growth of the far right in lots of countries etc, so the advantages seem to be very marginal now.

On the other hand, leaving the EU will drive us even further into the clutches of those evil Americans....  
  • ahem! Our colonial colleagues frequent here! It's a long time since they tipped that tea into Boston harbour.
    Forgive and forget !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Some of my best friends are from Amerika, UT. 
  • I ❤️ the USA Whisperit. I have been on many trips there ( so far 25 or 26 states - opinion in the UT/Appy households is divided) and the place is magical. Most of the people we have met have been .... Swell!
    We are but a band of Brothers ( and Sisters!)
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Have you heard the song, "The Wall"?  Actually, it's unfair to blame that on teachers, though, unless you are classifying the parents as teachers.
  • Hmmm....welfare cuts targeted at the disabled....George Osborne's GP brother struck off for an inappropriate relationship with a patient....off shore tax lies, lies, lies.....illegal Tory election spending....
    When's the coup gonna start?
  • Cameron preaching about corruption?!!! Trump proclaiming his love for Hispanics?!!! ( bangs head on wall at the arrogance and expense of it all, not to mention the fucking hypocrisy). Someone get me a gun!
  • LuDux said:

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite

not even a need to plug a microphone in to utilize then to drop

show's over right here

#Asteroid2017

• and i love watching Brits talk about their politics 
    apologies if Brits offends anyone
    i know things have been touchy 

• You can call us Brits. We call you yanks Twits With Tits ( the Kardashians anyway).
  • I think the world is moving beyond politics as the reality of the miserableness of the system becomes clear.  Never voted in my life.  What's the point?  You get to pick between various odours of excrement.  Even if you find an altruistic candidate (good luck with that), they haven't a chance of getting anything beneficial done (at least in the U.S.). 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!