Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 277 Comments sorted by

• I'm a little bit of a news addict, mainly Channel 4 at 19:00 and Newsnight. 
    I wouldn't pay too much heed to that particular poll.  When it comes to putting an 'X' in the box there won't be any discernable difference between the parties and people will simply go for the Devil they know.
    "More financial hardship?!  Bring it on!!" - Joe UK Public.  The British love a bit of masochism and subservience. Look at Thatcher - just a fag paper short of a full State Funeral, greatest PM since whenever yadda, yadda, etc, etc.
  • Yeah, I still don't think the elections in the bag for anybody, I guess it's always difficult to tell for certain at this stage. I thought Cameron would get an outright majority right up until the last minute. I  do see what you mean about Joe UK Public though.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Ohhh dont get me started on pensions.
  • What do you think about pensions thathurt?
  • The "gold plated ones". The ones refered to are sometimes 2/3rds final salary. As most employees are on a low wage, 2/3rds of fuck all is fuck all. They sometimes give the retiree just about enough do they wont qualify for means tested benefits like pension credit n housing benefit. But not enough to live on. Not content with this, ministers are changing all civil service pensions to the other type where they pay less out cos they are not final salary linked.

ive got a tiny pension thats frozen and I will never afford to open another one as ive only had low paid jobs. Off to the workhouse then.
    Post edited by thathurt at 2013-07-01 15:53:56

• Never ceases to make me piss myself LARFING! when money-ed up experts come on TV to tell us that it's good news that we now work longer as it's due to the fact that we live longer!  Ooooooooh I seeeeeeee!  How thick am I, that's alright then. 8-|

• my gran (she's 95) says she's got more money now than she's ever had, then she points out it wont be like that for me. cheers gran.

• thathurt said:

The "gold plated ones". The ones refered to are sometimes 2/3rds final salary. As most employees are on a low wage, 2/3rds of fuck all is fuck all.

Too right, thathurt. I've spent 25 years in the NHS and recently asked what my NHS pension is going to be. From the way George Osbourne goes on, I was expecting to buy a medium sized Caribbean island, and a small staff of retainers when I cash it in.

The answer: £7,000 a year.

Im not complaining, but its not exactly in bankers' bonus league, is it?  
  • Did any of you nice socially aware folk that don't dig the Tories hear about that chap Trenton Oldfield? He made a peaceful protest at last years Oxford/Cambridge boat race to draw attention to the cuts, the guy has already spent 6 months in jail for this.

Now they want to deport Australian born Oldfield as his actions were apparently Un-British or some such nonsense like that. He is married to a British woman who is expecting a child, I think this is just a bit too much and I hope those of you who are concerned about this kind of thing take the time to sign this petition

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/theresa-may-home-office-stop-the-deportation-of-trenton-oldfield

Here is a little bit of info....
    http://www.defendtherighttoprotest.org/stop-the-deportation-of-trenton-oldfield/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/23/boat-race-protester-trenton-oldfield-ordered-leave-uk

Thanks in advance

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-03 13:51:05
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Id not heard of this one. Thanks. Maybe didnt get as much press as the guy who was bothered by the police for not smiling as an olympic themed shit went passed him. The police didnt believe he had parkinsons and couldn't do the north korea smile n wave thing.
  • thathurt said:

Id not heard of this one. Thanks. Maybe didnt get as much press as the guy who was bothered by the police for not smiling as an olympic themed shit went passed him. The police didnt believe he had parkinsons and couldn't do the north korea smile n wave thing.

I didn't know that one. I just heard about this on the news recently and it really does bother me as a British citizen. It's not like the guy actually harmed anyone, he just dared to make the more fortunate pay the slightest bit of attention to those less fortunate I guess. It should never have got to the stage where he was given a custodial sentence, especially when we are always being told the jails are too full, and you get some seriously dangerous and violent criminals just getting a slap on the wrist, it really is shocking I think.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • this puts me in mind of KristIan Holmes, the graffiti artist who recently got 3 and a half years. same week that Stuart hall gets 15 months for child abuse...
    "its MY favourite song"
  • tweety said:

this puts me in mind of KristIan Holmes, the graffiti artist who recently got 3 and a half years. same week that Stuart hall gets 15 months for child abuse...

Yeah I wasn't aware of that specific case, but I am aware of that kind of 'injustice' going on a lot now. It is very disturbing where the priorities lie in these things. I must say I was never taken in by the 'we are not going to be as draconian as Labour' pre election rhetoric of the Conservatives.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-03 14:57:51
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • tweety said:

this puts me in mind of KristIan Holmes, the graffiti artist who recently got 3 and a half years. same week that Stuart hall gets 15 months for child abuse...

Knew nothing of this.  Quick Google brings up this report.  Bit different when a few facts are introduced. All things considered I'd say the sentence was about right when you factor in the actual time that'll get cut for good behaviour.

Stuart Hall got a 15-month sentence for indecently assaulting young girls which carries a lesser sentence than child abuse.  There is currently an appeal in process re the leniency of his sentence.

A sound post other than that.

Post edited by softlad at 2013-07-03 15:13:34
  • fair play softlad. I made a post based on the outrage of a conversation with work colleagues that was based on heresay and not fact. my bad.

"its MY favourite song"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!