Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 353 Comments sorted by
  • Just had a lecturer who stated that interpretations of art are often wrong and problematic, and proceeded with the example of "Look at Bowie. A colleague of mine stated it was amazing that he turned his death into art, but he didn't. That's bollocks! He died. He didn't do anything. He just died."

I have never gone from zero to apeshit angry in such a short space of time.

• Don't let that become an obsession...esp if you're 69!
  • It's 1972. The BBC's flagship music program is the Old Grey Whistke Test. David Bowie has just released Ziggy Stardust, featuring his band, the Spiders from Mars and they are on the show doing 4 songs.
    Here is the performance that night.
    Enjoy !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-01-16 16:48:10
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • My perception of David Bowie; his music and life, is at an all time high. I have been seeking out information about him, his albums, his songs and have been enjoying the many tribute shows, both on TV and the radio. I have come to the conclusion that I have actually been grieving this week, which I find odd, not being someone with a reputation as being emotional. I do not remember this reaction to the passing of any other musician. It may be because it was not suicide or drug abuse or some other self contributory death that took him, coupled with the quiet dignity with which he seems to have managed his final few months but whatever, it has been an interesting and thought provoking experience.
    Rock n Roll suicide. I love the end section of this song. Wonderful !

• Another great Bowie story here from 1980 and the Ashes to Ashes video which prove Bowie was not up his own arse and could laugh at himself.
    https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/688792524454924288
    A **** worth around £140 M though!
  • I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • ^Too On The Nose!!!
  • I haven't laughed so much in ages!
  • Harper Lee has died, aged 89. I loved the book, and the film. Well worth a read/watch.
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/700710954724671488

https://t.co/AXW1iJuWva
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-02-19 14:55:49
  • George Martin. God it's been a piss poor year so far. The grim reaper must be exhausted !
    George was a massive influence on British music from the late 50's to the present. His work with the Beatles helped propel them to the music phenonomen they became and, arguably, remain today. Without him, it would likely have been so much different and, for that, we owe him a great debt.
    He frequently added the bits into the Beatles songs that reinforced the ideas of 'the boys' as he called them, especially the string parts. I heard this today, which is the strings part of Elenor Rigby in isolation. Listen to this and try to insert the lyrics in your head into the right places as it plays. You realise just how involved the string arrangements were, and they were usually down to him.
    Rest in Peace Sir George. We shall not see your like again.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-03-09 17:10:05
  • Involved string arrangements...never see the like again? Aren't you forgetting someone who ( thankfully) is with us, still hairy, still Mooging and grooving?!
  • George Martin started his musical work for the BBC in the kate 40's Kat, and rose to be the head at Parlephone, records in 1955 as a 29 year old, which put him in the position to sign the Beatles about 7 years later. Much as I love Mr G, he will have to live until 103 to replicate Mr M.
    Mind you, I am up for it but George had a hand in 30 UK No 1's and 23 in the States, so Will needs to get his finger out !
  • Victoria Wood. Absolute hero. As someone said today, "2016, I hate you". 
  • Yes, RIP Victoria. 2016 has been a shit year to be in the public eye.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!