Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 353 Comments sorted by
  • Remember a lifetime ago there was a thread called The Soundtrack of your life?
    Still thinking about mine but, I do know how it would start.
    The first track I remember as a very young child was 'Telstar' by The Tornados.
    The 2nd was 'Anyone who had a Heart' by Cilla Black. It was her first No 1 single and remains, to this day, the biggest selling single by a British female solo artist.
    Funny how we never seem to appreciate things until they are gone. A particularly human condition.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • So, hard rock guitarist, ska drummer and rave keyboardist walk into 'Heaven'
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • David Bowie                !
  • Zounds!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Very rarely does a death of a celebrity actually move me.

Finding out the news of Bowie this morning, i had to fight back tears on my walk down to work.
  • First time I've been genuinely upset at the death of a celebrity, it's clear I'm not the only one. Bowie was one of a kind that we may not see again for a long time.

• I'm with you too, bit choked watching the news. I wonder if these people, these celebrities, really do ever fully understand the depth of love their genuine fans have for them. It's not superficial. Not when you're older, anyway. It's about admiration, pure and simple. Lust? Maybe a bit...! But who on here, I wonder would agree with me now if I were to suggest that the 3 all time most creative artists of our lifetimes would be-Bowie, Bush and Goldfrapp. Because they changed style, stayed / stay innovative... All been accused of some plagiarism, but proved the critics wrong...
    Difficult with the Frapp tho isn't it, with them sharing the genius.
    Bowie proved that age was no barrier to his creativity, energy and popularity.
    Heroes always gave me a throat lump, more so tonight. So sad.
  • I think it has to be said that David Bowie was as influential to British and World music, art and popular culture as Elvis Presley was to American and World music. The acid test has to be, would the musical landscape as we know it be the same if they never existed. I'm talking on a World wide scale here, and people/musicians of that status come along rarely. Elvis Presley, The Beatles, David Bowie. With each of these artists, the musical landscape changed following their input. You all probably have people you want to add to that list but, on a truly world scale? Actually changed the face of the musical landscape? Bob Dylan possibly but that list will be short.
    I (just about) remember a pre Bowie World. I was still at junior school when Space Oddity was released in 1969. At that time, British music was generally full on, masculine, rock based, progressive, full of overblown musicians and supergroups doing 20 minute keyboard/drum/guitar solos. Then along came Bowie in eye liner, celebrating androgyny, bisexuality and the artistic. A real showman. I remember when Boy George appeared in 1982 and people said 'what the fuck is that? Is it a boy or a girl?' Well, Bowie was there 11 years before, wearing a dress on stage, putting on a show.
    He first entered my consciousness around 1972 when I had moved to a senior school. Some of the more flamboyant lads started to have their hair dyed (teachers went mad!) wearing ridiculous flares and big stack heeled shoes, carrying copies of Hunky Dory or Pin-Ups under their arms and CRASH, I was propelled into a Bowie conscious world.
    I was not a huge fan. I never saw him in concert. I do not own all his albums. I found some of his music impenetrable, but the great majority of his output I liked and I valued him as a true British icon of not only music but art as well.
    It will be a long, long time; if ever, that we will see his like again.
    There is an epitaph I remember from my past.
    'Those that knew him, loved him'.
    'Those that did not know him; that was their loss'
    Rest in Peace David. You've earned it and a nation mourns the passing of an icon.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-01-11 15:55:10
  • Oh, and 6 month ago, the Appy's and the UT's booked tickets to go and see the David Bowie exhibition in Groningen, Netherlands in February. Looking forward to that even more now !
  • Ugghhh, I guess we didn't know he was struggling with cancer. He was a Star to the Stars...a Sun. I'm posting "Cracked Actor".. A Must See

Cracked Actor (1974) - David Bowie Documentary - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hfx7d
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-11 16:09:37
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Lazarus was literally the perfect goodbye. He had this planned from the beginning of planning for Blackstar, without a shadow of a doubt. This man knew what he was doing and ensured the proper procedures were followed to guarantee the survival of his final creation. 

I'm so thankful he was able to leave this existence the way he had planned it, though I can only imagine how horrid it is to suffer from cancer. Brave man, from beginning to end - and beyond.

I'll truly miss you, David. If only more artists in the world had your sense of decency, true creativity and heart. The world might just be a better place if so. Less twerking and KitKat eating instructional videos, and more creative thinking. This is what scares me - all the ones with brains and hearts are going, and we're going to eventually be left with the plastic, spoiled brats with glossy faces and corporate brainwashing tactics.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2016-01-11 23:59:33

• Slippage said:

I'll truly miss you, David. If only more artists in the world had your sense of decency, true creativity and heart. The world might just be a better place if so. Less twerking and KitKat eating instructional videos, and more creative thinking. This is what scares me - all the ones with brains and hearts are going, and we're going to eventually be left with the plastic, spoiled brats with glossy faces and corporate brainwashing tactics.

Yes, like many people, I'm waking late after spending the early hours watching Bowie videos.
    Its definitely got harder to invade the pop cultural scene with genuine originality. Nowadays, "pushing the boundaries" gets reduced to "how much drearily gratuitous sex can we show in this video?" Watching "Starman" on TOTP back in 1972 had a sexual thrill to it, but it was so much more than that. Bowie wanted to change a way of thinking, and had the creativity to find ways of doing that. 
    Post edited by whisperit at 2016-01-12 05:04:23
  • I think you put that very well Slippage, and like you, it's depressing to think about corporate pop these days. Personally, I think that now that every taboo has been flung out of the closet, then maybe we'll get back to concentrating on good old fashioned musical talent? I guess Bowie had the last word on the taboo of death. I hope no one dares to explore that further. If the future really is bleak, then hey ho, we'll just have to do what every generation ever did before us, look back and listen to what went before!
  • This, for me, is one of the great consolations when facing one's own death - the knowledge that so many have gone before; that I am only following a path that has been trod by countless others. Bowie's last album, and the Lazarus vid in particular is a reminder of that, and something to be grateful for..
  • Damn, Alan Rickman dead.  69 seems to be the magic age, this year....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!