Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 3229 Comments sorted by
  • Well, today is the first of those days I alluded to earlier.
    25 years ago this very day, Mrs T (Lisa) and I got married. Around this time, I was still wearing a white dinner jacket and bow tie ( tied for real - of course) and she still in her wedding dress, which she stayed in all day. We were the last ones out of the reception at around 1am ( some things never change) and were dropped off where we were staying by our best man.
    We can do better than 25 years. Lisa and I have been 'an item' since 1983, so that's 32 years together. I can go even further than that. I know Lisa because I went to school with, and was best mates with, her brother. We met when we were 5 at primary school, so I have known of Lisa since she was about 2.
    We have never had a serious row in that time. Some heated exchanges of principals on rare occasions but no walk outs; return to parents or the like. We seem to be a perfect match, her Yin to my Yang. Her creative, compassionate, sensitive Earth Mother to my erudite, logical, passionate fire. Her water sign to temper my fire sign. We allow each other to be ourselves which, I think, is the true key to a long and happy relationship.
    Here's to the next 25.
    Be back here in 7 days for the next of this year's landmarks. This one is a bit more thought provoking.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-09-15 17:33:57
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • image!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

image!

Cheers my friend. It's been a blast !
  • Ye arn se neowe essaumple of feith an leffe.
  • A_is_A said:

Oi! Thanks for the warm welcome:)
    Popping in for a few days and driving to Cornwall to see the coast, then hoping a ferry to Galicia Spain to find out about some of our Galician (and potentially) Celtic ancestry...Just fun really.

Wow, sounds fabulous M! I'll have to check out your twitter and live vicariously! Sounds like a wonderful adventure! I just came back from a mini-holiday doing some snorkeling. Unfortunately, I lost my Tiffany necklace along the way somewhere..so doing a bit of grieving. Oh well, only a material thing anyway. Have fun, be safe and post pics! X
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

• Be back here in 7 days for the next of this year's landmarks. This one is a bit more thought provoking.

providing I make it ! :-? [-O<
  • The MiamiFrappers have landed in Cornwall! Yes, A_is_A and her other half are here. Took them on a scenic walk along river & beach/cliffs and had a meal at a local restaurant/pub. Pasties were consumed! I did, however, misgauge the tide-times and we were very nearly stranded... oops! Gonna have a look through photos now. Although we can't compete with Floridian weather, it was at least sunny and dry. Well, apart from the near-drowning :-)
  • _is_
  • I'm not sure you should be doing that with your sandals in public, either, Ms A_is_A
  • What lovely beauty queens!!! (Yes, I'm including you HJ) Absolutely adorable! I lurve that hat M, you sport them wonderfully..looks straight out of the series 'Mad Men'. Glad everyone is having fun and Monica has clean sandals- Cute x 3! :x
    U R I E L
  • OK, I'm a day late but yesterday was that 2nd day of note for me this month. Don't know why I did not post this yesterday. Perhaps I was afraid of tempting fate.
    When I was 19, a long, long time ago, I lost my Father suddenly to a heart attack. A myocardial infarction to give it its proper medical title. I was out at a big party with mates and the DJ announced if I would come to the stage, and when I got there, a neighbour was there saying my Father had been taken ill suddenly and he had been sent to fetch me home. In actuality, he was probably dead before he hit the chair he slumped back into, having just watched a semi final of a World Cup - he was a big football fan and Chairman of the local football club. The neighbour knew he was dead, he just did not want to be the one who broke the news. Dad had survived a similar attack 12 years previously but on that night, his number was up.
    Sometime yesterday, I am not sure exactly when, I became exactly, to the year, day and minute, the same age as he was when he died.
    This date came onto my radar about 10 years ago, and has popped into my consciousness every now and again until my last birthday, when I became the same age in years as he was and I then worked out exactly how old he was and what date our ages coincided, and this was yesterday.
    We are/were vastly different to each other. I inherited from him my spirt and compassion and also the tenacity he had, but he weighed the same, if not more, than I do, although I am over 5 inches taller than he was ( perhaps we had a tall milkman), and he smoked, which I do not. I have never been concerned about the relatively early age that he died and the family average is being kept up by my Mum who is 92 and still,at the crease/plate depending on which side of the pond you are.
    It does make you think though. Never a good age to loose a parent but at 19, it does rather catapult you out of childish things and perhaps I am who I am today because of it.
    That's it. Enough emotional sharing from me this year !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-09-23 17:33:16
  • Cheers for making it past a scary milestone!
  • iuventus said:

Cheers for making it past a scary milestone!

Everyday now, I set a new benchmark!
    My Mum had 4 brothers. She is the oldest but two of the brothers are still with us, both in their 80's. They are my next target !
  • A little bit chirpier than usual for a Monday am! Going to an overnight conference where the beds are super soft, the food is awesome and the landscape for walks is gorgeous. Shame I have to the conferencing bit in between.
  • I'm getting in the Halloween spirit, reading about the life of Edgar Allan Poe.

-http://www.poemuseum.org/life.php
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-10-13 12:03:34
    U R I E L

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!