Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
iamamiwhoami
  • 52 Comments sorted by
  • For anybody half following the conversation re Blue and it's "video album" component, all the vids up to track 8 ("ripple") are on her YouTube channel in 1080p with just the final two left to add.

Still unsure, myself, as feeling that they're really beautiful (very much so) but like others I'm missing the oddness this time round.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I believe the videos can be found on the 'island' in HQ as well. I suppose they will end up somewhere on the internet at some point. The island thingy is quite nice, but it could have been better I guess.

But I still prefer the Bounty videos and their live but not really live first concert in the woods. The mystery is sort of gone now.
  • It's not even the mystery aspect for me, they just aren't advancing, at all. Even the basic plot of the video series has been the same 3 times now, she's hunted, we get it.
  • rewak said:

It's not even the mystery aspect for me, they just aren't advancing, at all. Even the basic plot of the video series has been the same 3 times now, she's hunted, we get it.

Actually, the main point of the Blue series is about leaving things behind and finding new territory.

• Same thing, she's escaping something always, just the location changes. The music barely evolves and neither has the concept. The only difference this time was they asked people for donations.
  • rewak said:Same thing, she's escaping something always, just the location changes. The music barely evolves and neither has the concept. The only difference this time was they asked people for donations.

That may be
    the most cynical way of looking at it.
    Post edited by Low at 2014-11-22 19:39:20

• It made me stick my nose up a little. After all it wasn't like a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign where they had a set goal that you could follow with them offering anything unique. They were just asking for an undisclosed sum of money for the same old thing, and at the end of the day it really is just the same old thing. Same story, same music, same style. They should have disappeared after the Bounty concert frankly.
  • Well you're entitled to your opinion rewak, but many people, myself included, love the fact that they're still around. And the 'Generate' thing may have been questionable depending on the way you look at it, but at the end of the day, the videos and music they produce do take a lot of work and do need funds to be made. I know you and some others aren't fans of what they're currently doing and understandably weren't too pleased with the idea, but a lot of people were only too happy with contributing, who were then in a sense 'rewarded' with special emails and online access that others who didn't donate, did not receive. 
    Like everything it's all subjective but I really think it would be a shame if they'd just stopped after Bounty. it may not seem that way now, but you never know what might come from them in the future.

• Im open to seeing where they go sure, im not dismissing them entirely, but im not that interested in this era.
  • Well all this stuff about their " artistic direction" and sourcing doesn't interest me. I like the music, the new album especially, and will buy it off iTunes.
  • I highly recommend anyone doubting this era to sit through this. A-MA-ZING.

• Shadowshow ending of the Blue series is absolutely fantastic :) I love this band more&more.I never really listened to Bounty and now I'm discovering it. I just love e v e r y song and video that they made from the very begining :)
  • I see the whole film is being released Feb 17 on Vimeo and the Blue Island site. Watching just one of her videos makes my teeth chatter, I shall have to get into bed with my electric blanket on to watch the lot. Brrr.
  • Re-reading this thread, I am slightly ashamed of your comments, Rewak. iamamiwhoami have reinvented a type of music and film in which there is a constantly evolving story-line that they have created. An entire world, if you will, and the fact you are dismissing them because it's not 'weird' enough for you doesn't make sense to me. I completely disagree with your opinion on that the music sounds the same because bounty, kin and BLUE sound completely different from each other. Also disagree on the story-line you describe as "she's being hunted / always escaping" when BLUE wasn't about that at all. BLUE is entirely about the community in which they have come to grow in. I think you owe them a lot more credit, especially in the times we are living in, where any artist with a catchy beat can make it huge on the radio. iamamiwhoami is something completely unique and original, and a lot of people are emotionally attached to them, myself included.
  • I think you've misunderstood my comment, I'm not dismissing them because they aren't "weird enough", I'm losing interest because they haven't changed in nearly 6 years. The music has evolved but very barely, the method of release hasn't changed, and the only original part of what they were doing was the mystery aspect of who and what they were which was removed long ago. The idea of an audio visual album is nothing new, Prince, Michael Jackson, Bowie, all did this back in the 80s, even now artists still do it, Daft Punk, Beyonce, even freaking R Kelly! They already had the community by the end on Bounty as evidenced by them asking the community to choose a representative for the concert. Charging people for access to that is a bad idea, even Gaga wasn't that dumb when she attempted her failed Artpop community app, and if she can't maintain a community based project without the paywall a small indie group have no chance. Hell look at what's happened here, no one's interested in forums anymore. What I'm saying is they can't continue in the same way when they key element of what made them so inviting originally, the mystery, is now gone. They need a new release strategy, they need better promotions, they need to release more consistently, and they need to stop being so quiet to their fans when they've stopped hiding for the press. Why would I owe them credit? They haven't influenced anything, they haven't invented anything, and they haven't changed the face of anything. They've simply walked a path made by others before we were born.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!