Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Mara Carlyle
  • I thought I would start a thread for Mara Carlyle following her support of Goldfrapp at the Royal Albert Hall on the 18th.
    Like many others, I met her out in the lobby during the interval and bought her CD 'Floreat' and she signed it for me. I belive it is her that told Dreeke that John Grant was a special guest on the night as she had seen him during the soundcheck, so we knew this prior to Goldfrapp coming on stage. She struck me as a delightful and down to earth girl. The people who spoke to her before us took a selfie with her and she asked to look at it, commenting that she usually took 'such a fucking awful photo'!
    Think you may have seen/heard of her before?  Remember the Ikea cats commercial? The was her track Pianni backing it.
    In the last track of Floreat 'The Devil and Me', her vocal reminded me of someone, and I think I have narrowed it down to k.d. Lang. Definatley an artist I think it is going to be worth following in the future.
    Those eyes !
    I think I've fallen in love again !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-11-23 16:38:05
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 29 Comments sorted by
  • What a lovely, witty girl.
    Judging from her music I somehow expected her to be the serious, shy and silent type.

She was the one who let me in on the 'secret' indeed.
    I noticed John being thanked in the program and asked her when she was signing her merch if he was going to join Goldfrapp on stage.

Post edited by Dreeke at 2014-11-24 03:49:52
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I liked her on stage; very honest and down to earth. I warmed to her even more when we spoke to her in the interval.
    I read that she was signed to EMI but then became a victim of the infamous artist cull in 2008. As she puts it, 'I was at the bottom of a list that had Coldplay and Lily Allen at the top'.
    In my humble opinion, EMI got their decision wrong that day :)
    Would happily go and see her again if we can find out when/where she is performing.
  • Mara's Facebook.
    Go on, give her a lick like.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mara-Carlyle/6231218563
  • Mara's version of Ex Factor by Lauren Hill performed at St John's church, Hackney for the Child Hope charity.
    Featuring the choir and church organist Annie Lydford, this version gives a fresh interpretation of this song and is so delicate, so fragile, ethereal and exquisite.  Standing there on her own, she is so exposed but pulls this off with genuine passion in her voice. Superb.

• I wasn't familiar with her music but I do know she has been singing backing vocals with my favourite songstress, Emiliana Torrini during her recent live perfomances. I will look in to her own work as I enjoyed her support act at the RAH :)

Post edited by Rob at 2014-12-02 13:43:44
  • Rob. Looks like just you, me and Dreeke in this thread so far.
    I bought Floreat at the RAH during the interval and Mara signed it for me. I have had it in the car since then and have listened to it a number of times and it is gorgeous. The book ends 'But Now I Do' and 'The Devil and Me' are really strong tracks with the saw ( or Elizabethen Theramin as I like to think of it) gently wafting over the chorus in the latter. 'Away with these self loving lads' is remarkably catchy and the chorus just seeps into you. But my favourite two tracks are Nuzzle, which is so close and intimate in it's bill and cooing and then 'King' which is as expansive as Nuzzle is intimate, building up as the track moves towards its denouement, with escalating strings in a very Goldfrapp manner.
    All the way through, Mara's voice is superb, rich and delicate in equal measures.
    Don't just take my word for it, read this review.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/cc3q
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-12-02 19:11:18
  • The critical reviews for this album seem to be universally appreciative. Here's another giving 5 stars.
    http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/cd-year-mara-carlyle-floreat
  • Mara's feeling a little saw

• Mara's been presenting Radio 3's Late Junction yesterday and is scheduled for tonight's programme as well - really interesting and eclectic choice of music.

If you can't get R3 it is on I player - which I appreciate is impossible for some people to get, so sorry about that!
  • Mara's been presenting Radio 3's Late Junction yesterday and is scheduled for tonight's programme as well - really interesting and eclectic choice of music.

If you can't get R3 it is on I player - which I appreciate is impossible for some people to get, so sorry about that!

I could only catch the last 30 minutes as I was in the studio but I had Howard Skempton's Lento on as I got into bed and it just chilled me out for a great nights sleep. You should be able to get Radio 3 anywhere if you log onto their web page and click to listen.
  • UT said - You should be able to get Radio 3 anywhere if you log onto their web page and click to listen.

I don't think our off shore friends in Europe and the US will be able to get BBC 3 without the aid of a VPN. As I've said before I've used Hotspot VPN it cost a couple of £/$/€ but it does work.
    Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-12-10 15:11:43
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • A question I have asked before but no-one has ever answered:  Can you see YouTube vids we post out of the UK?
    @A_is_A  Can you?
    if so, this is Howard Skempton's Lento.  12½ minutes of bliss.  Mara featured this on her Late Junction show on BBC radio 3 from 11.00pm to 0.30am GMT.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-12-10 15:13:22
  • This is two old Goldfrapp friends together; Joe Goddard from Hot Chip and Mara Carlyle in 'She Burns'

• I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!