Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • I watched all the Jurassic Park movies, man the 3rd was dumb. I hope the new one coming out next year is decent...
  • She Wolf of London.

I've watched a few of these 1940s Universal films recently, including 'The Ghost of Frankenstein' (in which what may be Frankenstein's ghost makes a brief appearance) and 'Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein' (in which they don't meet Frankenstein, but do meet Frankenstein's monster).  'The Ghost of Frankenstein' features Frankenstein's niece, and I wondered how big a success it would have been had it been titled 'The Niece of Frankenstein'.
  • Proudly I saw "Dracula Untold" this arferternoon , a swift script that tootles along like a Lada down a mineshaft , enjoyed it . Don`t think the Turkish Tourist Board sponsored any of it though .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"

• Sartori said:

Proudly I saw "Dracula Untold"...

Waiting for that one. Should hit 10 October. If I can, I'll wait 'til it moves to the $2 cinemas.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I, Frankenstein.
    Great effects, if a bit of a hokey storyline ( still, hokey storey lines are meat and veg for fantasy films in the past few years - Twilight anybody?)
    In essence, Frankenstein's monster seems to be immortal and is still alive 200 years after being 'put together'. The world undergoes a secret war between demons (evil) and gargoyles (good) unbeknown to all the mortals of the world. ( who must be blind, dumb and stupid with all the carnage and blinding light these battles produce). Demons want to take over the world by re animating the dead and re incarnating demons previously banished to hell by the Gargoyles, to inhabit these bodies, so need the science Frankenstein employed in creating his original monster to do this, yadda, yadda.
    Bill Nighy seems to have cornered the market in playing head honcho demons as here is is again as the big bad. Frank's monster is played by Aaron Eckhart, who played Harvey Dent in 'The Dark Knight' and does a good job. He does have a strange resemblance to a young Christopher Lambert.
    New Highlander movies anyone?
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-03 13:54:23
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Watched half of Vanilla Sky last night ( I know it's not new but I've never seen it). Interesting...going to finish tonight and see if I understood it correctly ( prob not).
    Cath has never seen An American Werewolf In London. Here in Lincolnshire we have The Kinema In The Woods, which is the smallest cinema in the country I think? In the middle of a wood ( obviously), old fashioned inside ( it has a little movie museum) with resident organist who ascends through the stage on his Wurlitzer on a Saturday night! It's great. So they are showing AAWIL on Halloween! Going to take Cath and have a good ole spookfest.
  • ^@KatRobin
    AAWIL. A really cool film. I went to see it in the cinema on its first release. Funny, visceral and very scary.
    We are having a Halloween themed dinner party. I am going as Orlando and Mrs T as Valeria from 'Carry on Screaming'
    'Frying Tonight!'
  • I love Carry On Screaming! One of the best- Dan Dan The Sanitary Man!! Little known fact ( these days).. A distant actress / relative of mine, Avis Bunnage, nearly married Harry Corbett, who was in that film. Don't know the rest of the story, sadly. She was quite a well known actress in the 60s, she was in Joan Littlewood's theatre co I believe, and was a real looker in her younger days. As she got older she tended to be typecast as a buxom battle axe!! She was Thora Hirds bosom buddy in that old sitcom about the funeral directors, can't remember what it was called. She had a tiny part in the film Gandhi and was in The Krays too. She passed away in the 90s and I did a bit of research then, got a bunch of newspaper articles about her and a large obituary about her from The Times. Apparently she liked to mother all her co-Thesps and bring them cake etc! Sadly I didn't inherit her hourglass figure, just the love of cake!!
  • A great Carry On with some fab lines.
    Valeria - 'Bung!, Bung!, Bung!. Such a fitting name !'
    'Do you mind if I smoke (lays back on the couch and clouds if smoke appear around her body)
    Det Sgt Bung ( as he enters into the smoke) ' And I've been trying to give it up!'

Det Sgt. Bung: A young lady has disappeared and we're anxious to trace her whereabouts.
    Dr. Watt: Oh? Whereabouts?
    Det Sgt. Bung: Hereabouts.
    Albert: At ten o'clock.
    Det Sgt. Bung: Or thereabouts.
    Constable Slobotham: In this vicinity.
    Det Sgt. Bung: Or roundabouts.
    Constable Slobotham: We're police officers.
    Albert: Or layabouts.

Det Sgt. Bung: Now then, your name please.
    Dr. Watt: Doctor Watt.
    Constable Slobotham: Doctor who, sir?
    Dr. Watt: Watt. "Who" was my uncle, or was - I haven't seen him in ages!.
    (Of interest to this quote, the part of Dr Fettle in the movie is played by John Pertwee).

Dr. Watt: Oh this is awful, I wish I was dead.
    Valeria: But Orlando, you are dead.
    Dr. Watt: So I am, what a life!

• On a whim , saw Gone Girl and enjoyed every single batastic second of it , social comment and themes - second to none , it does invite discussion and reflection on it . Rosamund Pike and Batfleck are both excellent . Can`t really say anything of ANY detail as the story is best seen unfurling before your eyes and no spoilers . 

The Trent Reznor soundtrack also Awesome with capital A , the surround sound "Squeeeeee where's dem noises from" is also most excellent .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-10-07 13:25:26
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I watched the Gone Girl trailer, guessed the plot, confirmed it on Wikipedia, then turned over and went to sleep.
  • iuventus said:

I watched the Gone Girl trailer, guessed the plot, confirmed it on Wikipedia, then turned over and went to sleep.

Cynical plot guessing ? Meh
  • There was nothing particularly cynical about it. More like self-assured; it's a rather fun game for me. Then, I was too eager to wait. I ruined The Sixth Sense and The Others for myself similarly--but without Wikipedia. I actually watched the former, and someone confirmed the latter for me. Wish I'd waited on that one, as the trailer--and the well predicted twist--reminded me of Night Gallery.
  • Surely the joy of the story is in the telling (to ourselves) ? I find it cynical but that's from my perspective (no slur intended sir) . I still approach "going to the cinema" like a child and Finchers storytelling (with Reznors score) captured tension and detail with acting / script / editing that the frogs dissection of Wiki obviously doesn't . But vive la difference .
  • I guess I never thought of cynicism manifesting in fun, eagerness, and imagination.

There are certain films that I'll banish from my guessing game. I'll often avoid watching trailers to some. Usually, the typical kidnapping/gone-missing/murder mystery types no longer keep me enticed long enough to make it from trailer to theater. Perhaps you had better trailers there. This one just looked like a pop mystery novel to me. Besides, I doubt I'd have seen this one simply because it stars Ben Affleck. Nothing against him. I've cause to believe he's a decent fellow, but he's another actor that's so embroiled in celebrity that I can't take his characters seriously.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-10-07 16:40:05

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!