Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • I filling up here! You don't have to try Iuv, we all (well most) like you.
    You should try that film. If it was made in the USA, it would have has Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Swartznegger in it. This wasn't, so has Sean Pertwee, son of old Dr Who stalwart, John Pertwee, in it. Gritty, visceral, but funny in places.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-02 03:37:51
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I filling up here! You don't have to try Iuv, we all (well most) like you.
    You should try that film. If it was made in the USA, it would have has Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Swartznegger in it. This wasn't, so has Sean Pertwee, son of old Dr Who stalwart, John Pertwee, in it. Gritty, visceral, but funny in places.

Best Star Stories (Jude Law) ever "Hi I`m Sean Pertwee , did you know my Dad was Dr Who ?" . He`s also `starring` in Gotham as Alfred (Yes , Brucies butler in a new tv show thingy) .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Great cover to the DVD
    " 6 Soldiers, Full Moon, No Chance"
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-02 16:21:24
  • And a trailer.  Makes me want to watch it again

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-02 16:15:20
  • Noah.

hmm. i was curious as to what Mr Aronofsky would contribute towards something biblical related. seemed interesting as it didn't seem his "style"

Its not my favourite of Aronofsky's work, but it still has that typical flair most of his films have. im sure id seen the trailers, but i believe they intentionally left a lot of certain things out, which surprised me and made me enjoy it that much more.

id recommend it. just don't go expecting anything incredible.
  • I recently watched a nice vid by my employer about asbestos. The office was built 3 years ago so very useful.
  • thathurt said:

I recently watched a nice vid by my employer about asbestos. The office was built 3 years ago so very useful.

Well, it's got to be better than working.
  • Ziegfeld Girl (last night).  Another classic from the golden age of Hollywood.

My overall verdict: It would have been better with less story.  Still...

The stars: Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, Lana Turner are all lovely and play their parts well.

The men: mostly unsympathetic, I thought, not least James Stewart's character.  I kept thinking (or saying out loud, on occasion) "you should ditch the creep" and similar sentiments.

The songs: Nothing really top flight, but some of them are quite good ("Minnie from Trinidad", for instance).

The choreography: Not Busby Berkeley's best by a long way.  This is definitely not the film to start watching Busby Berkeley.  Try Footlight Parade, Gold Diggers of 1933, 42nd Street and Dames -- then move on, maybe, to some Esther Williams classics, such as the Busby Berkeley choreographed water skiing finale of Easy to Love.  All the same, there's something here to captivate the confirmed fan, and worth anyone's while to watch.

The costumes: Great!  My favourite is Lana Turner's lift (elevator) girl uniform near the start of the film.  Ziegfeld Girl would (in my opinion) be worth owning on DVD for that costume alone.  There are plenty of others, too, including the amazing showgirl outfits you'd expect from the film's title.
  • Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie

Crappy dialogue, bad puns, shaky SFX, worst video game ever and tons of fun!
    Fans of James Rolfe's character will know enough.
    All in all simply an amazing achievement for an amature filmer.

you can watch it on vimeo
    http://vimeo.com/ondemand/avgn
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"

A Streetcar Named Desire

Starring the always lovely Gillian Anderson. I'd never seen anything of Streetcar before beyond that one Simpsons episode and really enjoyed it! The actors were all great, the story was always engaging which is good for something with a 3 hour run time, and the staging was simple but interesting with the set placed in the center of a rotating circle. Had i been in London at the time and was offered the chance to see either this or Medea i would have gone for this in a heartbeat. Recommended, if you can find a way of seeing it!
    Post edited by rewak at 2014-09-20 17:05:10
  • rewak said:

A Streetcar Named Desire

Starring the always lovely Gillian Anderson. I'd never seen anything of Streetcar before beyond that one Simpsons episode and really enjoyed it! The actors were all great, the story was always engaging which is good for something with a 3 hour run time, and the staging was simple but interesting with the set placed in the center of a rotating circle. Had i been in London at the time and was offered the chance to see either this or Medea i would have gone for this in a heartbeat. Recommended, if you can find a way of seeing it!

Was lucky enough to catch it when we were in London in august.
    Brilliant stuff.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Last movie I saw is David Cronenberg's "Crash".

I saw this once, many years before and was surprised by how much it was erotic. It's an incredible movie.
  • Sat in the cinema on Saturday (pretty much the whole of Saturday) and was engrossed in the 7 hours 15mins of Béla Tarr's extraordinary Sátántangó

With a grainy black & white 35mm Hungarian subtitled print and a grim parade of village wide depression, rain & mud you'd think this would be an exercise in endurance but no - it's probably one of the best experiences I've had in the cinema. A real revelation.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Sigh...you all see such arty films... There's nowhere in a thirty to fifty mile radius of here that would show anything in that vein. I feel exempt from this thread, oh dear. :(
  • KatRobin said:

Sigh...you all see such arty films... There's nowhere in a thirty to fifty mile radius of here that would show anything in that vein. I feel exempt from this thread, oh dear. :(

I lived in Shropshire for the first 30 years of my life and I therefore feel your pain. We had to go 20 miles to Stoke or 20 miles to Shrewsbury and even then it was for the big retail park multiplex style things. That was great for a gang of you going off to see a new film but it wasn't the only flavour I wanted, for sure.

Now I'm up here I throw myself into the chances to see and do stuff, hence pushing into mad stuff like the Tarr epic.

You're never excluded from anywhere though, that's for sure! :)
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!