Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
UK reigns as most friendly LGBT country
  • 37 Comments sorted by
  • FYI @Urban_Trabesman, for this one I simply typed 'Queen Elizabeth's mailing address' into Google.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I'll be reading that site a lot! What I'd love to know if, H.R.H. if she enjoyed the movie, "The Queen." If it was a true account of your life. And what kind of music do you enjoy? What is your favorite works by "Shakespeare?" How are the gardens growing? What's your favorite flavor of tea? What was it like meeting Marilyn Monroe? I wonder if she ever saw the movie, "My Week With Marilyn.?"

I think about a lot of things. xxx
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• Homophobic attacks are classified as hate crimes in the UK -- but that doesn't prevent them happening.  There's a lot of hate crime.  I understand that hate crimes against disabled people are on the increase.  Basically, there are a lot of sick fuckers around.
  • The thought of Liz sitting there with a sack of mail wading through is sooo funny.
    She has teams of lackeys who read all her mail. You may get a reply if your letter was of particular interest but from said lackey on behalf of Her Maj.
    What happens if we write to Barack?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • What happens if we write to Barack?

Perhaps we would receive a barracking.
  • Providing you are polite you might even get an answer although I believe it' her 'ladies in waiting' that usually write the response.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Sparky said:

I love lesbians! I used to design magazine covers for them.

I think you might have stereotyped your pic a lil too much Sparks, Lol.

U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • It seems that we are making progress in this country with the legal side of things, but there are always going to be small minded bullies and frustrated conformists, and it seems that the use of the word gay as a pejorative is on the rise, esp in schools. The statistics bear this out and are very sad. Stonewall have wonderful resources for teachers to help counter homophobic bullying in schools ( I got my pack and the posters will be going up!!). As a Sex Ed teacher, I have to be careful obviously that I encourage debate among the pupils, and I can't always share my own personal ones ( I have to hear some many crazy and ignorant comments, but then they are inexperienced teenagers, and it's my job to offer them alternatives objectively). My biggest dilemma is whether to ( matter of factly if asked) tell the pupils I'm in a same sex relationship..after all, my colleagues all know, the kids wouldn't be interested after a week ....and by not saying it, then it could be suggested I'm ashamed ( I most certainly am not!!). The sad thing is there are bigots among the adults..... When I told the first one, 8 years ago ( this was someone who I thought was my friend) she went and blabbed in the staff room within 5 minutes, literally. We didn't remain friends, but that's another story. ..Anyone else had a similar experience?
  • i just listened to an interesting program on radio 4 discussing among other things some of the things talked about here. it'll be up on iplayer in a couple of hours here

Kat... i do not discuss my personal life at work, i've had negative experiences in the past and i have a couple of gay friends that have also had difficulties when they have been open. however recently i've been thinking that not been open causes as many problems, i changed job a couple of weeks ago (same company, different department) and have been thinking that if the topic comes up i'll be open about it. my honest opinion about your situation is that i personally wouldn't discuss my personal situation with the students, but i would say that if you were heterosexual as well because i see that more about having different boundaries with your students than your colleagues because the relationship is different. it's unfortunate that there aren't more role models available in society/the media for you to reference when discussing the subject.
    on the subject of people blabbing... a few years ago someone at work shouted down the corridor that i was gay, i was mortified. mostly because i'd never discussed it with the person they had just put 2 + 2 together (i was dating someone else i worked with at the time) and they didn't ask me about it or anything they just saw an opportunity and literally shouted it down the corridor. like you said its not that i'm ashamed, i'm totally open with my friends but the fact is there is still lots of everyday homophobia around, i see and hear it all the time and hated been made to feel so vulnerable. she wouldn't have liked it if i shouted down the corridor who she'd been gobbling off that weekend, haha!
  • Should of shouted back "Lesbian ? Funnily enough , that`s what your mum said when she was licking me out"
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-06-23 06:56:18
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • ......meanwhile one interview in HR later.... ;)
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

Should of shouted back "Lesbian ? Funnily enough , that`s what your mum said when she was licking me out"

hahaha! i'll bank that just incase i'm ever in a similar situation 
  • People do seem to be very sensitive to any mention of their Mums.
    I was once in a situation where I was involved in a confrontation with someone. Can't remember when or why, It doesn't happen very often. He was really going for it; Eff'in and Jeff'in for all he was worth. Really on the point of an Epi' and in a minuscule pause in the foul mouthed rhetoric I just said 'do you kiss your Mum with that mouth' and he went Apeshit; really flipped his wig. I thought it would end in fisticuffs ( I'm so posh sometimes ) but after more verbals, he got the message and moved on.
    So, there you have it. When confronted by a Neandethal, mention their Mum, just in passing. Always guaranteed to get a positive reaction.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Sticks and stones...
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • KatRobin said:

It seems that we are making progress in this country with the legal side of things, but there are always going to be small minded bullies and frustrated conformists, and it seems that the use of the word gay as a pejorative is on the rise, esp in schools. The statistics bear this out and are very sad. Stonewall have wonderful resources for teachers to help counter homophobic bullying in schools ( I got my pack and the posters will be going up!!). As a Sex Ed teacher, I have to be careful obviously that I encourage debate among the pupils, and I can't always share my own personal ones ( I have to hear some many crazy and ignorant comments, but then they are inexperienced teenagers, and it's my job to offer them alternatives objectively). My biggest dilemma is whether to ( matter of factly if asked) tell the pupils I'm in a same sex relationship..after all, my colleagues all know, the kids wouldn't be interested after a week ....and by not saying it, then it could be suggested I'm ashamed ( I most certainly am not!!). The sad thing is there are bigots among the adults..... When I told the first one, 8 years ago ( this was someone who I thought was my friend) she went and blabbed in the staff room within 5 minutes, literally. We didn't remain friends, but that's another story. ..Anyone else had a similar experience?

mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!