Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
UK reigns as most friendly LGBT country
  • 37 Comments sorted by
  • People do seem to be very sensitive to any mention of their Mums.
    I was once in a situation where I was involved in a confrontation with someone. Can't remember when or why, It doesn't happen very often. He was really going for it; Eff'in and Jeff'in for all he was worth. Really on the point of an Epi' and in a minuscule pause in the foul mouthed rhetoric I just said 'do you kiss your Mum with that mouth' and he went Apeshit; really flipped his wig. I thought it would end in fisticuffs ( I'm so posh sometimes ) but after more verbals, he got the message and moved on.
    So, there you have it. When confronted by a Neandethal, mention their Mum, just in passing. Always guaranteed to get a positive reaction.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Sticks and stones...
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • KatRobin said:

It seems that we are making progress in this country with the legal side of things, but there are always going to be small minded bullies and frustrated conformists, and it seems that the use of the word gay as a pejorative is on the rise, esp in schools. The statistics bear this out and are very sad. Stonewall have wonderful resources for teachers to help counter homophobic bullying in schools ( I got my pack and the posters will be going up!!). As a Sex Ed teacher, I have to be careful obviously that I encourage debate among the pupils, and I can't always share my own personal ones ( I have to hear some many crazy and ignorant comments, but then they are inexperienced teenagers, and it's my job to offer them alternatives objectively). My biggest dilemma is whether to ( matter of factly if asked) tell the pupils I'm in a same sex relationship..after all, my colleagues all know, the kids wouldn't be interested after a week ....and by not saying it, then it could be suggested I'm ashamed ( I most certainly am not!!). The sad thing is there are bigots among the adults..... When I told the first one, 8 years ago ( this was someone who I thought was my friend) she went and blabbed in the staff room within 5 minutes, literally. We didn't remain friends, but that's another story. ..Anyone else had a similar experience?

mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• It's ok, B. I'm pretty sure that there are other conversations going on here besides yours. It's the nature of an off-topic thread to evolve and veer in various directions.
  • Hm, was B talking about comments in this thread? I thought so at first, but I re-read...
  • Rarely able to figure, I just speak softly and use reassuring words and phrases.
  • I don't understand?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!