Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 4413 Comments sorted by
  • Having been somewhat underwhelmed by The Knife's "Shaking The Habitual" album last year (admirable but not very enjoyable is probably my thoughts on it now) I'm super-happy about the new track released with the Europa Europa cabaret. Much, MUCH, more like it for me - big strong Fever Ray style vocal delivery from Karin, great rhythm and a stonkingly stark 303 acid line. Properly stunning stuff.

Europa Europa and The Knife - "För alla namn vi inte får använda".

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Silver Apples - Silver Apples - Program
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Animals by Muse
    An interesting track. It contains some unusual Polyrhythms in that the song is written in 5/4 time ( actually 3 bars of 5/4 and then one of 6/4) but in the outro, while the rest of the music remains in 5/4, the drums go into 4/4 which gives a strange shuffle feeling.
    The video is also intersting in that Muse ran a competion to come up with a video for this track, and the winner was voted for by Muse fans and the band.
    Enjoy.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-07 18:30:43
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • In the spirit of the summery English weather, what else could it be but 'seventh Tree'
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-06-08 07:28:37
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Kent - Tillbaka Till Samtiden
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Plastikman - Ex
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Sumie
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Goldfrapp - Tales of Us. First listen after a 5 months. 

It's much better after coming back (knew it would be). Unlike most of you here, it wasn't the direction I sound i hoped for. I wanted a return to the thoughtful / chilled felt mountain but not such a straight John Barry/film music homage. Goldfrapp's skill for me is mixing contrasting styles and influences to make something fresh. So for me as lovely as it was crafted and written, it was a personal thing they did form themselves as much as for the fans. They needed to it get out of their system (especially after the conceptual Head First). But after 5 albums they had more than a right to. 

For me it was like Robbie William's doing a brat pack album, or Rufus Wainright doing a show tunes album, etc... So I don't think, unlike the other albums it made them any new fans (as there were no Shirley Bassey numbers ...thank god) :-). It was a fan pleasing album but I didn't see new people getting into them through this album.

That makes what they do next very interesting.

Having said that up to Thea was great on my bike this morning! But by the time i got to work I was already wanting to put my Wolf Alice on.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-06-12 06:09:30

• LuDux said:

Plastikman - Ex

I'm absolutely loving it - a great mix of Musik squelchy 303 and Consumed ominous rumble.

The play off of the last too tracks, especially with the gorgeous mournful accents and slides of closer "EXhale", is quite majestic.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2014-06-12 10:11:07
  • So half asleep on the train home and Kraftwerk Kometenmelodie 1 (from Autobahn) pops up on the iPod - the big K! not heard this in years. Immediately transported back to 1974 (shit I'm showing mi age again!) all my mates listening to the Bay City Rollers and Wizzard - not the shy freckle faced, strawberry blonde (OK OK ginger) kid he listens to some weird electronic stuff. Add in Switched On Bach, Rick Wakeman and later Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis where else could I go but Goldfrapp! Never looked back!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Above & Beyond-Anjunabeats Volume 11 and the Pet Shop Boys-Electric
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• Appy61 said:

So half asleep on the train home and Kraftwerk Kometenmelodie 1 (from Autobahn) pops up on the iPod - the big K! not heard this in years. Immediately transported back to 1974 (shit I'm showing mi age again!) all my mates listening to the Bay City Rollers and Wizzard - not the shy freckle faced, strawberry blonde (OK OK ginger) kid he listens to some weird electronic stuff. Add in Switched On Bach, Rick Wakeman and later Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis where else could I go but Goldfrapp! Never looked back!

I assume you've seen this?

Part proto-Kraftwerk, part soon-to-be NEU!.......and all bonkers & genius equally.

• Thanks Carpy - not seen this before. It's great watching the audience mostly standing around with WTF looks on their face. Then there"s the odd one or two with roll neck jumpers who will clearly be the Euro Electronica artist of the future!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Zero 7 - Simple Things

...on eo fthose albums I don't often play but on a scorching day the fat intro to 'I have Seen ' comes  on in my head :-)

• Not seen that either carpy! Cheers. You can hear Neu in there they just had to strip out all the Jazz / Prog and mechanise it! Actually Kraftwerk prt 2 made a much larger leap. If you take out the electronics they bascially ended up doing 3 mins electro pop songs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!