Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 4410 Comments sorted by
  • Gosh, I love Radiohead. There was a time in my 20's where that's all I'd listen to. I was actually really interested in the cinematography in the film "Wings of Desire." I like to study things sometimes to figure out how it's done. I came across this clip while looking and it struck an emotional chord within me.

Interesting trivia-
    All of the black & white sequences were shot through a one-of-a-kind filter made from a stocking that belonged to cinematographer Henri Alekan's grandmother.

Haha, I guess the lampheads do resemble War of the Worlds alien ships! As for Laurel..I'd have to watch it again to say for sure.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ponygurl said:

Gosh, I love Radiohead. There was a time in my 20's where that's all I'd listen to. I was actually really interested in the cinematography in the film "Wings of Desire." I like to study things sometimes to figure out how it's done. I came across this clip while looking and it struck an emotional chord within me.

Interesting trivia-
    All of the black & white sequences were shot through a one-of-a-kind filter made from a stocking that belonged to cinematographer Henri Alekan's grandmother.

Haha, I guess the lampheads do resemble War of the Worlds alien ships! As for Laurel..I'd have to watch it again to say for sure.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • So Circus Alekan on the trapeze artists caravan is a nod to the cinematographer? We looked up Wim Wenders and found a lot of other stuff including a similar video set to Perfect Day by Lou Reed and it used a lot of the same footage. I take it from your last post that this is probably all taken from Wings of Desire?
    In places, it does remind me of Laurel. Trapeze artist, Pole Artist; I wonder if her studies as a film editor led Lisa Gunning to Wim Wenders?
    Appy61 and I had a long chat with Lisa G after the initial film showing at the ICA in London. I asked her why the films were shot in such low contrast B & W and she said it was to magnify the dream like quality of the films. Interesting girl. Very chatty and obviously not used to being asked for her autograph. She signed our authentication certificates from the TOU box set.
    Every days a school day!
  • ^ Niiice! She's a talented woman. What a fabulous team. Mmmm, the aerial arts...kind of Ahhmazing.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ponygurl said:

^ Niiice! She's a talented woman. What a fabulous team. Mmmm, the aerial arts...kind of Ahhmazing.

If you like heights. Lived opposite a cinema from the age of 6 to 18 and spent a disproportionate amount of time inside in the dark so have always had an affection for the silver screen. In them days, performances used to roll on all day with 3 showings of a B feature then the A, so I would sneak in at 1.30pm and stay there until 10.30 having seen it all through 3 times!
    Guessing its 8.40 pm or earlier where you are. Its 1.40am in the UK so got to sign off and go and find Mrs UT who is not a night owl. Must do this again sometime. U.T.

• If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Pilots while queuing out side of Rough Trade East.
    Actually I can't even see the store there are about 300 bodies in the queue in front of me.
    Must get here earlier next year. Like midnight
  • Natasha Khan & Jon Hopkins - Garden's Heart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I've just discovered Wing and Hollow, you may like them if you like folk-pop ( she has a voice that reminds me of Natalie Imbruglia) - nice :)
    Also I followed a link from an App to the music of a duo called The American Dollar, who I'm really liking. It's ambient instrumental with interesting drum patterns in that make it that bit more textured and edgy than the usual ambient soft stuff. You can find them and a lot of other good stuff via the Bandcamp App.
  • 6 Music, Liz Kershaw, The B52's, Roam
    Roam if you want to, roam around the world, without wings, without wheels
    Rocking through the wilderness.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-04-19 08:05:00
  • Little Dragon - Klapp Klapp
  • UT - I've. Always liked the B52s, esp Wig which always makes me smile :)
  • Hi KatR
    Further back on April 11th I posted some lyrics from Wig when I was listening to the Planet Claire album. Question is, has KatR got a wig? UT's not got a wig, or a cheap toupee!
  • Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-04-19 19:07:16
  • Love Gus Gus! Actually played the This Is Normal album yesterday.

Me: Titiyo - Hidden
    Criminally overlooked album imho.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!